IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So if the prelaunch page is up, the full project will probably be dropping next week or so, right? I'm trying to remember the last big company that ran an indiegogo and used a prelaunch page, it just isn't coming to mind. But at least we'll be able to know what sort of power they're looking for this thing to have, and maybe some tentative specifications outside of just 'midrange pc'. I'm not going to kickstart it, but I'll be honest and say that I'm a little excited to see what- if anything at all- they actually have.

Now, this is indiegogo of course so they very conveniently don't need a prototype. Let's hope there's at least more than yet more marketing fluff.

• Like 3

What's that awful smell? It's very familiar.

post-2410-0-11070200-1508938588_thumb.jpeg

Ahh I know that smell. The whiff of desperation for attention and email addresses, in exchange for 30% off first day signups at the magic bean store. Atari reeks of it lately. "Hurry!"

Who's their audience, you ask? I don't think it's "community" or "collectors," but just an attempt to boost the brand of Atari. This is the kind of end-stage stunt one pulls when trying to get a dead-cat bounce out of a worthless stock.

• Like 7

I think they're trying to make their audience people like me. Younger folks who grew up post Atari collapse and never actually lived through a time where Atari had any real pull as a company. That 15 - 25 sweet spot of young dumb spending who, after years of collecting and playing Atari stuff second hand and through forums, are finally given the opportunity to buy a brand spanking new Atari system, just like your dad did in 1977!

And I'll admit that if it weren't for this site and the chameleon fiasco reminding me to put on the brakes, I would have been tempted. But my friends and I are all in their core market, and we've talked about it a few times. And, while the initial buzz was pretty positive, everyone I know has taken a 'wait and see' approach, leaning towards cynicism. So, in my honest opinion, THAT'S their market. The 22 year old with a jaguar that he bought off his cousin, or the fifteen year old just buying their first 2600 after watching a documentary on his xbox. Not the 42 year old who has been through the Atari rodeo one or two times and is wiser to their shenanigans.

• Like 7

Seriously? Seems like even the most archaic devices I have can still stream YouTube with no issues, including my 6-year old Panasonic Blu-Ray player (had 5 apps at launch, still has 5 apps) and even my Wii.

yes, seriously. YouTube has updated their API a few times and that lead to the apps being deprecated on older devices. Have you used youtube on that bluray recently? My LG bluray is at least that old, and it lost youtube support a few years back. Same thing happened to people in my facebook feed with different brands of blurays

yes, seriously. YouTube has updated their API a few times and that lead to the apps being deprecated on older devices. Have you used youtube on that bluray recently? My LG bluray is at least that old, and it lost youtube support a few years back. Same thing happened to people in my facebook feed with different brands of blurays

I actually had a 3D BluRay player that stopped updating and reached a point where it wouldn't play the newer 3d movies. Imagine that, the whole premise of the device screwed because they quit supporting it. Anyway Xbox one filled the gap just fine.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 2

So I'm sitting here in Linux, going through my massive Steam library and saw Atari Vault, and now I'm starting to really wonder... did they get really good sales on this for Linux and that's why they thought of doing a Linux based console?

I mean they don't really have much of a choice as far as operating systems go. They could do a BSD, but all the games are written for Linux native, and you have to use the emulation layer for them to work in BSD.

Did Atari Vault sell well enough on Linux to make them take notice?

The alternative is Windows and that would add a license fee. Linux has a sizable games library via Steam so that was the next logical choice. BSD could be done, but it would require porting everything.

• Like 1

I actually had a 3D BluRay player that stopped updating and reached a point where it wouldn't play the newer 3d movies. Imagine that, the whole premise of the device screwed because they quit supporting it. Anyway Xbox one filled the gap just fine.

I remember when my YouTube app on a Sony BluRay player stopped being supported. I was not too happy to say the least. Thankfully, I stopped using any of my BluRays for streaming and have gone with either a Roku or a FireTV product. Thankfully, all apps (including YouTube) on all of my devices (which includes Roku 3, model 1 version) still work and fire up even to this day.

So I'm sitting here in Linux, going through my massive Steam library and saw Atari Vault, and now I'm starting to really wonder... did they get really good sales on this for Linux and that's why they thought of doing a Linux based console?

I mean they don't really have much of a choice as far as operating systems go. They could do a BSD, but all the games are written for Linux native, and you have to use the emulation layer for them to work in BSD.

Did Atari Vault sell well enough on Linux to make them take notice?

Whoa, I hadn't noticed that Atari Vault is for Windows, Mac, and SteamBox/Linux!

Linux is free and can be distributed and modified without a license. I think that's the beginning and end of the list of reasons.

Also, could there possibly be "100,000 gamers on the waitlist?" That beggars belief.

post-2410-0-45792600-1508945340_thumb.png

• Like 2

Also, could there possibly be "100,000 gamers on the waitlist?" That beggars belief.

Yep. There's a difference between being on a mailing list for info (particularly when it was just a mystery box to most people) and actually waiting to purchase one (particularly after revealing some details). I honestly don't fault them for trying every angle though. It keeps things interesting.

• Like 6

Wow. OUYA smashed its funding goal a lot less than that. If they aren't too greedy, don't completely fumble this, and crowdfunding fatigue isn't too great, this might get made.

That will be an interesting comparison point. 63,416 people backed Ouya one way or another (shockingly, I was not one of them) and it was a raging funding success. That was at peak crowdfunding mania, though, along with their being far fewer related options already on the market. Consider that people are a little wiser to these things, that there's some crowdfunding fatigue, and it's on Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter, and you wonder how much lower that number will ultimately be. At the same time, there's good early buzz (in terms of recognition) and this one does have the Atari name behind it, so that could bring up that number a bit, although it's still going up against the very real problem of providing justification versus existing consoles and streaming boxes.

• Like 5

Wow. OUYA smashed its funding goal a lot less than that. If they aren't too greedy, don't completely fumble this, and crowdfunding fatigue isn't too great, this might get made.

I know they're using the initial announcement video, but ~1,673,000 views isn't anything to sneeze at either. Weird how much nostalgia and brand recognition can affect us.

The alternative is Windows and that would add a license fee. Linux has a sizable games library via Steam so that was the next logical choice. BSD could be done, but it would require porting everything.

Well, them publishing it for Linux would give them a decent amount of understanding of how many extra people they could get buy it 'just because it's Linux'. BSD does have a Linux emulation layer, but I've never used it so not sure how wide a range of things it works with.

I think they're trying to make their audience people like me. Younger folks who grew up post Atari collapse and never actually lived through a time where Atari had any real pull as a company. That 15 - 25 sweet spot of young dumb spending who, after years of collecting and playing Atari stuff second hand and through forums, are finally given the opportunity to buy a brand spanking new Atari system, just like your dad did in 1977!

And I'll admit that if it weren't for this site and the chameleon fiasco reminding me to put on the brakes, I would have been tempted. But my friends and I are all in their core market, and we've talked about it a few times. And, while the initial buzz was pretty positive, everyone I know has taken a 'wait and see' approach, leaning towards cynicism. So, in my honest opinion, THAT'S their market. The 22 year old with a jaguar that he bought off his cousin, or the fifteen year old just buying their first 2600 after watching a documentary on his xbox. Not the 42 year old who has been through the Atari rodeo one or two times and is wiser to their shenanigans.

The fact that there are people like that actually amazes me. I mean I could say it's a bunch of cheap hipsters that use old things because they're 'cool' except that none of the retro stuff is cheap anymore, especially trying to track down the less successful things, like the Jaguar.

i am a little sad why there is so much hate on this site/thread.

Everybody (with a few exceptions) is so negative.

Thats something i see in the whole Gaming Community nowadays and i dont like it at all - It doesnt matter which age they are, which society background they have and what systems they are playing.

Especially that PS4 vs Xbox One annoys me very much. Its always about fighting, making bad remarks and spitting on other people.

Does your hobby still gives you fun?

I dont want to hurt anybodys feelings but i dont like that behaviour around my hobby at all. I would rather see happy and positive people. Thats why i chose this hobby. Gaming was always about having fun.

If i wanted to see negative and agressive people i sign in for Kickboxing Lessons in a dirty Gymnasium.

I want people around me with a more optimistic attitude and Gamers with so much curiosity about this new Console and happy expectations for the release instead of constant crying and bitching about EVERY aspect of every announcement that Atari makes.

Yes, i know you got screwed in the past with other projects.

Yes, this Fergal Mac Guy made empty promises and disappointed you.

Yes, Kickstarter Projects had dubious incidents with other companies.

But this Thread and most comments get to a point where it gets ridicilous.

My opinion is:

I am looking very forward in more information to be revealed.

I am impressed how this company came back from bankruptcy to a profit making organisation in only a few years. Thats is very seldom in economy business nowadays. I give a huge thumbs up for their energy and hard work.

i am also impressed of the acquisiton of their new member. I think it was for marketing. A Person who worked for major companies in the past.

I liked their new fresh energy with marketing for example the product placement in the new Blade Runner Movie.

I admire their courage with testing new products like the Atari Hat. (Please, you go and invent a new product which is an instant success. Who thought that a stupid useless thing like the Fidget Spinner would be a global blockbuster selling phenomenon)

Well, i can see that Atari is investing a lot of energy and trying new things and i appreciate that.

Considering that after their bankruptcy, working with only a handful of people, they made a huge sudden appearance in the gaming scene and a lot of people are talking about them. - On Youtube, on Forums, on the Internet News Sites etc.

Looks like they made everything right.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are MULTIBILLION Dollar companies. And Atari is already mentioned on Newssites along their Names.

Even if they fail big time, they reached a Marketing effect in only a few weeks which every company dreams of until the rest of their lives.

If Atari is so powerful to reach that level with only their Name. Imagine the potential they could have with a decent Hardware.

The NES Mini had only like 30 old Games which most of them are not even worthy of mentioning next to the legendary multiple Games of Atari and it had a huge success which nobody ever expected.

A Billion Dollar Company like Nintendo couldnt even come close to supply the Consoles the Market was demanding.

There are many comments in this thread where they dont see the need of an Atari Console with old Games when you can play the Games on Retropie.

Well that was sure a huge selling stopper for the NES and SNES Mini ;-)

What i'm trying to say is: Lets see what will happen.The Market is unpredictable.

You are expecting a small company with so less financial background to have an even race with Sony and Microsoft. That will not happen at all.

They need a lot of support by the People, by the Fans.

Please stop all bad comments. This thread has a lot of hate and predictions of failing.

P.S. I am not working for Atari.

I am just a 42 year old Guy who fell in love with Gaming since my Dad put the first console on our TV when i was about 5 years old.

Edited by alexkeaton
  • Like 2

i am a little sad why there is so much hate on this site/thread.

You're new here, so I understand you don't have a lot of perspective on these things, but if you consider these comments negative, then you really haven't been to other forums. Sure, the first instinct of a notable percentage of people really into things is to poo-poo it if it's not 100% perfect and/or fits their unobtanium ideal, but giving very good reasons for being skeptical is a far cry from being negative for the sake of being negative.

Yes, i know you got screwed in the past with other projects.

Yes, this Fergal Mac Guy made empty promises and disappointed you.

Yes, Kickstarter Projects had dubious incidents with other companies.

But this Thread and most comments get to a point where it gets ridicilous.

Yes, these reasons you state, among many others, are exactly why there is and should be considerable skepticism.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are MULTIBILLION Dollar companies. And Atari is already mentioned on Newssites along their Names.

Even if they fail big time, they reached a Marketing effect in only a few weeks which every company dreams of until the rest of their lives.
If Atari is so powerful to reach that level with only their Name. Imagine the potential they could have with a decent Hardware.

Getting lucky with marketing here and there does not make a company a player. I'm not sure what you do/have done for a living, but there's obviously a lot more to it. Marketing is just one small portion of the bigger puzzle. "Decent hardware" is one of the more difficult parts, and even that isn't a significant portion of what this needs to be a success.

The NES Mini had only like 30 old Games which most of them are not even worthy of mentioning next to the legendary multiple Games of Atari and it had a huge success which nobody ever expected.

No. Literally everyone knew the NES Mini was going to be a success. The only straggler was Nintendo, who took their time in releasing such a product. The Atari games are great, but, if you're being fair here, Nintendo games have a lot more cache' for a wide variety of reasons.

There are many comments in this thread where they dont see the need of an Atari Console with old Games when you can play the Games on Retropie.

Right now all we can assume it will play is Atari Vault, which is already available on computers and console. We don't need a new system for that. That's why it's so important for us to learn about what more they plan for this and why that's been pointed out time and again by myself and others.

What i'm trying to say is: Lets see what will happen.The Market is unpredictable.

You are expecting a small company with so less financial background to have an even race with Sony and Microsoft. That will not happen at all.

They need a lot of support by the People, by the Fans.

Exactly. Unless you're in super fanboy territory (and why at this point?), you know this can't possibly compete with the current three consoles and you're skeptical it will even be competitive with the current streaming boxes, again, for various logical reasons stated throughout this thread. Of course, it doesn't have to be competitive with any of those things to thrive as a super niche product. I'm sure Atari realizes that and is fine with those types of numbers. Anything else is gravy.

As for our support, support is earned, not given. If they give us a reason to support it, you bet we will. Otherwise, there's no blind allegiance there.

Please stop all bad comments. This thread has a lot of hate and predictions of failing.

If these comments continue like they are, respectful and logical, on this discussion forum, then no.

• Like 15

The fact that there are people like that actually amazes me. I mean I could say it's a bunch of cheap hipsters that use old things because they're 'cool' except that none of the retro stuff is cheap anymore, especially trying to track down the less successful things, like the Jaguar.

Atari games are fun (or more broadly games produced for Atari systems), the hardware is simple enough that it's a good entry point if you're interested in old gaming hardware but complex enough to keep you busy and learning, and the history of the company is really easy to get lost in. Plus, all teasing aside, the Atari community tends to be a lot easier to get along with then some other communities. All of this culminates in being a really good entry point for people interested in gaming history, and toss in a little bit of nostalgia (since chances are good someone in your life had an old 2600 they'd let you play) and you have a winning formula.

And Atari stuff is still pretty cheap if you want to buy fun games. If you want a really nice collection, yeah, I'd imagine it gets expensive. But most of the people I'm talking about just want to spend $2 on a loose Vanguard cart, or chance $1 label-less carts and hope they get something fun. My entire 7800/2600 collection is worth, well, not a hell of a lot. But I love the games I have and my friends and I have never really needed to buy a copy of Waterworld (be it swordquest related or Kevin Costner related).

There are tons of reasons why younger people get into Atari, and as one of them I'm really happy about that. Hopefully I shed a bit of light on us!

Edited by lifemadesimple
  • Like 2

That's actually really cool that young people are interested in Atari. Personally I grew up in an era when 'Atari' meant 'Video Games.' Then the crash came, then they mostly ignored the 5200 and 7800 and went more into computers, which I was okay with because I loved them too. But then the Jaguar was released... and I loved that too, but it was so short lived and some of the game releases were so janky (Club Drive would have been a wonderful game if they'd worked on the bugs and the mechanics more. Still love the concept).

As far as the negativity goes? You should see the Amiga forums. Holy crap! When you get them talking about AROS vs MorphOS vs AmigaOS4 and 'Real AmigaOS' which depending on the person can be 3.9 (latest) or 3.1 (latest by Commodore). practically a religious war.

• Like 3

Honestly, I've been lurking AtariAge for years and this is one of the most positive forums I participate in (even if I only started participating recently). I love Playstation, for example- a company I actually grew up with- but sometimes the community can be brutally hard to get into. I've actually had to back off a bit in recent years. Life's too short for that.

And of course, Atari enthusiasm among younger people still takes a backseat to Nintendo and even Sega in my experience, but it isn't in a bad place, unlike the poor Colecovision (with their million different absurd copyright hits). I've found that the 2600 and Sega Genesis are great points for getting people into the hobby. I've given away a couple of systems and games to family friends, cousins, etc. and there's no better feeling in my opinion, and it doesn't break the bank. Actually, I should probably emphasize that even more. The low cost of entry compared to big N can be a huge deal, especially in my circles.

But I don't want to get too off topic. I think that the Ataribox's safest bet would be targeting the working class, young millennial, atari enthusiast, crowd. But I'm not sure that crowd wants a million special editions, or even another streaming box for their TV, and I think it may be another sign that they aren't sure where their niche will be. Only time will tell I suppose.

Edited by lifemadesimple
  • Like 3

I agree. While there has been some negativity, it isn't nearly as bad as some communities. I can say for sure I've not taken anything personally. I just assume it's all in good humor because no one here has ever made me feel like it wasn't.

And Atari fans are quick to share. I mean how many times have you just given away a duplicate or two because you knew someone would appreciate them or they were new to collecting? It's just a thing this community does.

• Like 2