IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

It was originally a MicroProse title before Hasbro bought the company, and somehow got mixed in the "Pass the Atari Potato" game.

Hasbro bought Atari's IPs too, and they sold both to Infogrames. Infogrames thought Atari was a better name than Infogrames, so they changed their name to Atari in 2003, so any RCT game released after that had the Atari label.

Good catch on the marketing outfit. Pulled from their product offerings...

"COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT

Our Social Media team delivers the right mix of copy, posts, influencer outreach and social channel management to deliver campaign results and long term brand equity."

If that don't confirm the bullsnot social media posts and phantom followers I don't know what does.

It's another reason why I dislike sales and marketing. They're dishonest and essentially lie. Not that this hasn't been going on since the beginning of time. The tech tools of today just give them more options.

These fake posts and users can be spotted a mile away. I won't say what criteria I use to weed them out. I don't want to help them get better at this. But it's fairly simple.

Edited by Keatah

I hope they come in here and try to manage this social channel, I really do. I wonder if they already have?

I'll bet you a cool million that they have indeed. Most of us have just been too adult to pounce on them. Of course, that's excluding the resident shill, community builder and thought leader.

• Like 3

Maybe in the sense of, "Hey... what was that last thing Atari was working on before they completely, finally went belly-up for the last time? No... not the hats. The other thing."

At this point I really REALLY REALLY hope that Atari just dies permanently. I'd rather have it be dead and gone than "mostly dead" and rifling through everyone's pockets for loose change.

Wait a minute. Strike that, reverse it. Thank you.

I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate...

• Like 3

It was originally a MicroProse title before Hasbro bought the company, and somehow got mixed in the "Pass the Atari Potato" game.

And what did Hasbro do with Microprose and its IP afterwards? Sounds like they wanted to be the next EA ... Eating up studios then shutting them down while doing sweet FA with their acquired IP.

I'll bet you a cool million that they have indeed. Most of us have just been too adult to pounce on them. Of course, that's excluding the resident shill, community builder and thought leader.

Feel free to pounce.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only one here. And I do hope that I've above board with everything. I don't try to influence the discussion in any way, but I am reading and sharing things that I feel should be noticed by the AtariBox Team. When I do, I don't gloss over anything. If you think it sucks, I tell them "the collector community thinks it sucks". Personally, I want it to succeed but I understand that isn't going to be an easy road. There is a fair bit of public negativity here, but that isn't surprising for such a passionate bunch. And I respect that this might feel like a money grab and that this clearly isn't the "real" Atari.

But know this... I will, at a minimum, ensure your collective voices are heard by those who can make a difference with this project. And if you want to help out, let me know.

And just to get it out there... I no longer actively collect for the Atari 2600. A little over a year ago I sent everything "2600" I owned to Ferg, aka "ferghead", of the 2600 Game by Game Podcast. He's doing good work and it was a way for me to support his efforts.

• Like 5

Fair enough....but you are definitely not the only one here. Some working for them are more deceitful to avoid getting found out, but their trails are pretty obvious. Any hack can pronounce themselves social media strategist, online content curator, or other ridiculous title. That don't make them talented enough to even cover their tracks. That's the seedy underbelly and subtext that makes this entire campaign all the more icky.

• Like 3

You know what would mke this an insta-buy for me? If they managed to add proper ports of all their old library to Linux. And I am specifically talking about their Post "Trameil-Atari" Atari stuff, like Neverwinter Nights 2, and other D&D titles they used to publish.

All the older stuff can be played on a Raspberry Pi via emulation that is already interfaced nicely with RetroArch.

• Like 2

Zoom of the Controller.

I dont think that it is the official Controller.

Looks like a 3rd party XBOX360 controller, which, if I'm not mistaken, is basically a generic Windows-compatible Bluetooth game controller. It's probably EXACTLY what Fraggle (thanks for that, JBerel!) is planning to bundle with it.

Edited by CarlSpackler
  • Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only one here. And I do hope that I've above board with everything. I don't try to influence the discussion in any way, but I am reading and sharing things that I feel should be noticed by the AtariBox Team. When I do, I don't gloss over anything. If you think it sucks, I tell them "the collector community thinks it sucks". Personally, I want it to succeed but I understand that isn't going to be an easy road. There is a fair bit of public negativity here, but that isn't surprising for such a passionate bunch. And I respect that this might feel like a money grab and that this clearly isn't the "real" Atari.

But know this... I will, at a minimum, ensure your collective voices are heard by those who can make a difference with this project. And if you want to help out, let me know.

A lot of us don't think it utterly sucks, but if one thing's clear, we don't have the faith to back something that seems in shambles. I like the idea of a new Atari console, but as some people have said in this thread, there is a lot of work ahead of you. You need to hire engineers and, as mentioned, you need a "killer app". Something to make people want to buy the product, if it ever materializes. You can't expect to succeed by pandering to the niche market of retro gamers, who have already exposed a lot of BS.

• Like 6

Amazon Video and Youtube for me. All the devices connected to my TVs used to do youtube, but one by one they lost support as google upgraded their APIs, now only my PS4 can play youtube on my TV.

Seriously? Seems like even the most archaic devices I have can still stream YouTube with no issues, including my 6-year old Panasonic Blu-Ray player (had 5 apps at launch, still has 5 apps) and even my Wii.

• Like 1