IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Woulfe, I'm sorry....I'll try to clarify a bit then I'll come back in a few days so I don't derail this topic, like I said I'm a huge fan of this forum and its cool getting some responses from you guys, I wasn't expecting all the spy sockpuppet stuff but that was hilarious.

I just finished reading the book "Fight Club", alot of you guys have probably seen the movie (The book follows the movie exactly so probably a waste of time to read it, but the audiobook is only about 5 hours), that's where I got the idea of modern man attaching his self worth to the big consumer brands he buys and proudly displays, instead of something more primal, like his ability to fight.

For many of us, Atari was that brand we attached our young self-worth to, we attached feelings of a brighter more technological future, of feats of engineering, computers would be our personal tools, working for us....we never imagined the future where they would be used to control us, take advantage of our human failings (like loot boxes in modern games), or be built to throw away.

Zoom ahead 35 years, and what we got was a litigious, shady, holding company halfway around the world making a mockery of the brand we used as a go-to for a conversation starter and to bond with other guys in any situation. The Nintendo guys had it better, those that grew up with the NES can share deep memories with anyone that owns the Switch today, Nintendo has tremendous goodwill, and deserves every penny it earns.

What I mean by culture is the effect it has on basic things like making a new friend or talking to a co-worker, and instantly bonding over finding out you owned the same system or game, and spent hours on some of the same gaming problems. We all do this today, women bond over shoes and pocketbook brands and if they still uphold their quality.

So the Nintendo kids have their complete positive culture intact, the Atari kids are now culturally bankrupted, left to bond over watching a train-wreck.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this idea, and wants to fight back, get revenge by taking back his memories, and becoming a new torch-bearer, like Seth MacFarlane did with the Orville, based on his fond memories of Star Trek that he knew would be desecrated by the new owners of Star Trek Discovery?

Basically I'm saying Atari isn't coming back, so lets agree on a set of parts to build our own system that will effectively be a new Atari in all but name only, fully legal, cheap and fun, nobody owns it, but it has mass agreement on the exact CPU parts so programmers feel safe making games knowing they will get paid by appreciative fans. Anyone can look up the list and build their own at home, then order games from individual programmer websites selling SD cards, fans and owners of the system would see it as the true spiritual successor to the Atari, upholding the ideals and promise of the early company at its peak in the early 80's. The short easy answer would be a Raspberry Pi, a bold case, attention to detail, standards and little touches that only a retrogamer would think of and appreciate, and the marketing and design work would spread like fire over the internet by volunteers. It takes a bit of youthful exuberance to imagine, lets get out of our cynical, protective, old minds that have been let down to much, are too careful, and fall back on the comfort of keeping things the same. Lets face it, it feels comfortable and safe to criticize Atari from a distance, but what if you just got hired at a company that had to make this product? how would you do it? Put yourself in that mindset, now you have to fight and win!

Thanks for reading, and please don't take it too seriously, I'm using a bit of hyperbole for effect. Mainly I want to see Atari make a comeback in some way, but I think the only way it could happen is a spiritual successor who is charismatic enough to get a reaction and consensus, like Flojomojo.

AlecRob, thanks for liking my "Sexy and Reckless" idea, i think any new company or open-source project leader has to have that quality!

Goldenleader, thank you for liking the gold pyramid console shape idea.

The only other idea I thought of is maybe the games should be on those full-size SD cards, enclosed in the blown glass teardrop with a graphic design symbol that matches a gigantic full size vinyl record sized case, for massive gratuitous artwork that would make every game seem epic! Vinyl records are thin so it wouldn't really take up that much room for collectors. It's OK to think big since this stuff would be put together by artists like those on Etsy once we nail down a design-document to standardize.

OK I'll check back in a week, sorry to derail and I know you guys have thought about this before in some capacity, right?

Basically I'm saying Atari isn't coming back,

OK I'll check back in a week, sorry to derail and I know you guys have thought about this before in some capacity, right?

Atariage IS the Atari we all grew up with, in both substance and spirit.

No more need be said or done.

• Like 15

Atariage IS the Atari we all grew up with, in both substance and spirit.

No more need be said or done.

That's how I feel as well. I would also suggest that if you want a "spiritual successor" to the Atari systems, then the XB1, PS4, and Switch are all equally qualified and unqualified. Or even the Retron 77, if you need that spin on it. There's nothing we can really make here that would provide something that the MegaCorp of your choice hasn't already slapped into a box.

After reading the last few of your posts, I do see what you're getting at, I just can't relate. There are products and brands I like more than others, but when they let me down, I'm the first person in line complaining. I'm an Apple fan, but have held off on upgrading my phone because none of the newer features make my life better at all. I'm a huge fan of Nintendo, but feel like the Wii-U was the most mishandled system of the past two decades. If a company I like fails me, I either deal with it or give my cash to someone else. I think a lot of the difficulty some people have had is a refusal to understand that times change, people change, circumstances change, and if you aren't getting what you want in today's world, there's no shame in just going back to what you know you like.

To return to your examples, I watch every Star Trek release as soon as it's out. But in my mind, Ninja Turtles stopped in the mid-90s, with the brief exception of a fun-but-forgettable CGI movie in the mid 2000s. You have the right to make arbitrary decisions about what you like and don't like. You don't have the right to decide the rest of the world has to fall in line, and if you try, the rest of the world is likely to tell you to go pound sand up your ass. Believe me, my ass got really sandy before I figured that out.

(shameless plug) Now, if this kind of stuff really does interest you, I really enjoy discussing "what fandom means" in my podcast , and my point of view has been that IPs are under no obligation to go in the directions we want them to. To take this back to Atari, if you went up to someone in 1982 and told them that the video game titan of the era would one day be reduced to ten guys in bad suits filing lawsuits over stickers, would they believe you? Probably not. But if you told them that the ideals and spirit of the company was held by a bunch of computer enthusiasts swapping notes with each other... yeah, that would probably make sense, even to the pre-web world.

TLDR, buy a Switch, slap an Atari logo on it, and load it up with retro games.

• Like 7

The short easy answer would be a Raspberry Pi, a bold case, attention to detail, standards and little touches that only a retrogamer would think of and appreciate, and the marketing and design work would spread like fire over the internet by volunteers. It takes a bit of youthful exuberance to imagine, lets get out of our cynical, protective, old minds that have been let down to much, are too careful, and fall back on the comfort of keeping things the same. Lets face it, it feels comfortable and safe to criticize Atari from a distance, but what if you just got hired at a company that had to make this product? how would you do it? Put yourself in that mindset, now you have to fight and win!

So... This is quite possibly Atari SA testing the water with the suggestion that their console might just be a Raspberry Pi in a branded box?

• Like 5

So... This is quite possibly Atari SA testing the water with the suggestion that their console might just be a Raspberry Pi in a branded box?

Dunno - if that's what it was, they probably would've made it to market by now.

Or not. This is Atari SA we're talking about, after all.

• Like 3

Woulfe, I'm sorry....I'll try to clarify a bit then I'll come back in a few days so I don't derail this topic, like I said I'm a huge fan of this forum and its cool getting some responses from you guys, I wasn't expecting all the spy sockpuppet stuff but that was hilarious.

I just finished reading the book "Fight Club", alot of you guys have probably seen the movie (The book follows the movie exactly so probably a waste of time to read it, but the audiobook is only about 5 hours), that's where I got the idea of modern man attaching his self worth to the big consumer brands he buys and proudly displays, instead of something more primal, like his ability to fight.

For many of us, Atari was that brand we attached our young self-worth to, we attached feelings of a brighter more technological future, of feats of engineering, computers would be our personal tools, working for us....we never imagined the future where they would be used to control us, take advantage of our human failings (like loot boxes in modern games), or be built to throw away.

Zoom ahead 35 years, and what we got was a litigious, shady, holding company halfway around the world making a mockery of the brand we used as a go-to for a conversation starter and to bond with other guys in any situation. The Nintendo guys had it better, those that grew up with the NES can share deep memories with anyone that owns the Switch today, Nintendo has tremendous goodwill, and deserves every penny it earns.

What I mean by culture is the effect it has on basic things like making a new friend or talking to a co-worker, and instantly bonding over finding out you owned the same system or game, and spent hours on some of the same gaming problems. We all do this today, women bond over shoes and pocketbook brands and if they still uphold their quality.

So the Nintendo kids have their complete positive culture intact, the Atari kids are now culturally bankrupted, left to bond over watching a train-wreck.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this idea, and wants to fight back, get revenge by taking back his memories, and becoming a new torch-bearer, like Seth MacFarlane did with the Orville, based on his fond memories of Star Trek that he knew would be desecrated by the new owners of Star Trek Discovery?

Basically I'm saying Atari isn't coming back, so lets agree on a set of parts to build our own system that will effectively be a new Atari in all but name only, fully legal, cheap and fun, nobody owns it, but it has mass agreement on the exact CPU parts so programmers feel safe making games knowing they will get paid by appreciative fans. Anyone can look up the list and build their own at home, then order games from individual programmer websites selling SD cards, fans and owners of the system would see it as the true spiritual successor to the Atari, upholding the ideals and promise of the early company at its peak in the early 80's. The short easy answer would be a Raspberry Pi, a bold case, attention to detail, standards and little touches that only a retrogamer would think of and appreciate, and the marketing and design work would spread like fire over the internet by volunteers. It takes a bit of youthful exuberance to imagine, lets get out of our cynical, protective, old minds that have been let down to much, are too careful, and fall back on the comfort of keeping things the same. Lets face it, it feels comfortable and safe to criticize Atari from a distance, but what if you just got hired at a company that had to make this product? how would you do it? Put yourself in that mindset, now you have to fight and win!

Thanks for reading, and please don't take it too seriously, I'm using a bit of hyperbole for effect. Mainly I want to see Atari make a comeback in some way, but I think the only way it could happen is a spiritual successor who is charismatic enough to get a reaction and consensus, like Flojomojo.

AlecRob, thanks for liking my "Sexy and Reckless" idea, i think any new company or open-source project leader has to have that quality!

Goldenleader, thank you for liking the gold pyramid console shape idea. (OK I really DO like this idea!!! :)

The only other idea I thought of is maybe the games should be on those full-size SD cards, enclosed in the blown glass teardrop with a graphic design symbol that matches a gigantic full size vinyl record sized case, for massive gratuitous artwork that would make every game seem epic! Vinyl records are thin so it wouldn't really take up that much room for collectors. It's OK to think big since this stuff would be put together by artists like those on Etsy once we nail down a design-document to standardize.

Too Long; Didn't Read

Still, I feel like commenting ;) (Sorry newAtari ;)

My guess is the Translation is as follows:

Hi guys....I'm New Atari Ideas and I've got New Atari Ideas...As you can tell it is my 4th post. All I'm asking is for you guys to come up with what you want in terms of a spiritual successor to Atari, Then make it, then release the easily followable specs right here on AtariAge, maybe quickly buy the rights to Atari so we can release it before people start to question whether or not Atari can be trusted. Also, I want it so people can make their own following the easy to follow instructions you will have put online...Maybe make it out of Radio Shack parts or Raspberry Pis and make it 3d printable...And make it Bug Free. Otherwise these should be in WalMart before Halloween so people can just buy it there.

Simple as That!

PS: ME, Personally...Well here's my specs!: I want it 3.69 times more powerful than an XBOX1. I want the case to be a golden pyramid with walnut and ebony woodgrain accents approx. 10 percent larger than a Pyraminx (The pyramid one, not the Rubik's Cube)...A Limited Edition in Brazilian Rosewood (From remaining managed supplies) should be available (limited to 69 copies...I want #69) complete with a signed certificate (Signed by Nolan Bushnell) which should come in a mini hard plastic flight case, wrapped in a vermillion cloth case with a LASER etched plaque with my name on it. I think the console should have a transparent bronze glow in the dark Atari logo at the base of the pyramid which shoots LASERS into a fog machine for certain games...Also we oughta include a VR Headset...I imagine these in sort of a blue and green neon camouflage color...So they don't look like everything else.

The controllers should be wireless, dual rumble pack, memory carded, silver and bronze swirled cast resin with Green accents and should feature strobes that shoot out of the front for certain games and will feature dual D-Pads, hard rubber analog buttons all around, plus a mid mounted paddle made of brushed aluminum, (also available a "slightly to the right" paddle spinner in brass and black with chrome purple accents, in a limited edition controller...Limited Edition controllers should be hand numbered)...And again I like the idea of crystal carts; the pack in game shall be Knight Rider with Steering Accessory as released for the 2600...

Let's make it happen!

• Like 8

I await a Frankodragon response so I can see it in the flesh (whoa-oh, bad choice of words perhaps)...My Photoshop skills are nonexistent and I don't wanna have to run out and buy one, then buy an Atari sticker to put on it and then take a pic for everyone to see...Again.

You rang?

post-18158-0-88051700-1557264749.jpg

• Like 9

This thread REALLY needs to be killed. The AtariBox is VAPORWARE! If it ever DOES ship, it will SUCK!

Stop talking about it. It's pointless. Go play pitfall! It would be much more productive!

This thread is about tacos.

mrWrryi.png

Any mention of the Ataribollocks is purely for entertainment purposes.

• Like 9

Stop talking about it. It's pointless. Go play pitfall! It would be much more productive!

Stop talking about one of the few bits of "Atari" current events, and have yet another discussion about a 40-year-old game?

Respectfully disagree.

• Like 13

While I don't post here much (I suck at sh--posting, am not nearly as creative as others such as Flojomojo and have no photoshop skills) I still lurk it every day and read every post. I disagree too about it needing to be locked.

• Like 3

Someone needs to change the topic.

But I still stand by my previous comment. This thread needs to be locked.

Move on people. Nothing to see here.

Remain calm.

All is well!

BAH.

post-52250-0-67171000-1557366333.jpg

• Like 4

This thread REALLY needs to be killed. The AtariBox is VAPORWARE! If it ever DOES ship, it will SUCK!

You're like those little old ladies who called TV stations to complain about NYPD Blue back in the day. If you don't want to see Dennis Franz's butt, just change the channel and it will go away. If you don't want to read this thread, turn off your computer and it will go away.

• Like 5

You're like those little old ladies who called TV stations to complain about NYPD Blue back in the day. If you don't want to see Dennis Franz's butt, just change the channel and it will go away. If you don't want to read this thread, turn off your computer and it will go away.

Now I am locking this thread, I got several complaints from old ladies about this post.

• Like 13