IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On June 4th backers were told that delivery would be delayed to December.

Campaign site still says September and FAQ doesn't mention it.

Anyway you want it. A campaign started in February, promising release by September (7 months) delayed when pushing release forward by 3 months to December makes 10 months.

Following the same pattern, this one promising release by spring, and campaign launch in "fall". If Fall means mid-november then it's squarely 6 months to mid-may.

Looking forward to the inevitable "fall 2018 release due to USB design issues" ?

EDIT: Stupid math mistake.

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 1

This is like a fucking virtual meeting room for wannabe Atari employees.

Coleco-Chameleon-Dead-Banner-640x300.jpg

here's mine, cost 180$ in parts

oh noes how is ataribawx going to adapt a standard form factor to a nonstandard case, its impossible I tell yas ... oh wait like 6$ worth of cables from china and about an hour in cad

post-35237-0-78306600-1484501655.jpg

post-35237-0-95862800-1484501656.jpg

post-35237-0-33418100-1484501912.jpg

and yes the cart works its got a 130 gig SSD in it

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 8

You act like it's failed. There has been one delay, communicated months in advance.

Call me when the gameband is in backers' and customers' hands. Until then, it's vapourware. So is the Ataribox.

Please do better at taking my comments out of context in the future.

Oh, and for someone who has stated that he knows which side he's on, you sure seem to be getting defensive all of a sudden. Care to share what you know with rest of us lowly plebs, or are you just choosing to pick a really bad way to interact with the Community on behalf of your employer?

Edited by x=usr(1536)

With all the "ridiculousness" surrounding this, the old ball & chain would never approve. It will have to be sold at like Amazon or Brick'n'Morter.

All this kickstarter shit feels like a dog chasing its own tail. And then the reality of these threads and posts stops the dog cold. And it wimpers off to do something else.

I swear that news and financial/business sites execute the most useless and pointless scripts. They seem harmless enough aside bogging the browser and destabilizing the site itself.

Seriously. There are certain plugons I use on all my systems, so I probably am not seeing that garbage. Forbes should be legit though.

Just search AMD + atraibox, plenty of articles out there. Not sure if AMD would have announced anything if they were planning on releasing a shitbox.

Seems to me the scampaign is probably to get money to AMD... who knows, mayb they will be right and some people will buy one because it has the Ramones... erm, Atari logo on it.

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

Stupid forbes! Maybe because I use ublock everywhere it worked for me? Too bad I can't edit my post and fix it.

Please don't link to Forbes contributor blogs at all if you want to be taken seriously. Those are not reputable sources, they're opinion pieces. Forbes is clickbait garbage that relies on its once-trusted name.

Can you think of any OTHER fleabag companies with little to offer that are trading on an old brand name that stopped earning love and respect long ago?

post-2410-0-02576800-1509887669.jpeg

• Like 4

Since Atari has such an incredible community, and the community has really kept it alive, and the corporate powers-that-be are so open to community input, and they want to make the community part of the process which they assure us will be incorporated into the final product, and because they want a product that speaks to you while staying true to it's roots, and because they are using crowd funding for the community......

I present to you, the inaugural

"Make Your Own Ataribox"

contest.

You'll start with everything you have to go on for the new Ataribox. That's right, a plastic rendered box. Make your own provocative controls, extraordinary inner workings, amazing accessories, and stupendous software features.

What could be inside of it? Who knows what mysteries of past and future gaming greatness lurk within it's carefully rendered horizontal lines? What magic awaits you inside......the "Ataribox"?

aboxinside.jpgaboxdemo.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/bXnNvw/aboxinside.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/hNaaXb/aboxdemo.jpg

• Like 3

Honestly, if I owned the Atari name, I'd just pay some company in China to stick my logo on some low to medium range tablets, TV's and PC's. It's worked well enough for RCA, Polaroid, and Emerson. Trying to develop a real product at this point is too risky; if it fails they'll damage the brand, then what will they have?

If the private label electronics sold well enough I might try to invest some of the profits in some games which were already in development, to keep the name out there as a "game" company. They'd have to be games with a nearly guaranteed chance of success tho. That's what MGM's doing to keep their name out there as a "film" company, investing in The Hobbit and the like.

That's a really depressing plan. It's unimaginative. It's boring. It's not what I want Atari to be. But for 20 years Atari's been little more than a name anyways. Hasbro slapped the name on some remakes of classic games because people recognized it as a classic name; Infogrames bought it in some attempt to capitalize on it's built-in recognition. My plan would just be a cheaper, lower risk version of what's already been done.

I'd do the same thing with Coleco too, for the same reasons. :(

• Like 1

"Make Your Own Ataribox"

contest.

Your empty renders are impressive, well done!

Believe it or not, the "make your own" contest, lame as it is, isn't fantasy. Atari pulled this back in 2012, with their "Indie Developer Challenge!" (exclamation points are theirs) to remake Pong. They brought in Nolan Bushnell as a judge, which was a cute twist.

THE PONG® INDIE DEVELOPER CHALLENGE!

Following the success of Atari’s recent indie-developed mobile titles, including Asteroids: Gunner™, Atari 's Greatest Hits and Breakout: Boost™, the Pong® Indie Developer Challenge opens the door for up-and-coming developers to deliver the next smash hit.

Atari is looking for some great developers to help bring Pong® to the App Store!

Reimagine Atari’s classic Pong® for a chance to win up to $100,000 and see your vision come to life! In addition to a full revenue-share publishing agreement including marketing and PR support, cash prizes include $50,000 for 1st place, $37,500 for 2nd place, $15,000 for 3rd place, and $5,000 to each of the remaining seven finalists.

Submit your original take on Pong® for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices today. Finalists will launch their games on the App Store later this year under the Atari brand, along with a publishing agreement and full launch support.

It’s your time to remake a classic!

Have Questions for Atari? Want to talk to other developers? Visit the Official Forum Here!
That's right, spec work. They got some bad press about it: Why Atari's Pong Indie Developer Challenge is bad for developers comes to mind.

To recap: Atari's Pong Indie Developer Challenge seeks to get all entrants to give away game ideas to Atari that Atari can then exploit, and the entrant relinquishes all further interest in the idea. Atari then selects 20 "semi-finalists" to put months of work into building out their ideas into playable versions that Atari has full ownership over. Half of those finalists will then receive a modest $5k payment for putting in even more work to complete their game. Finally the Top 3 "winners" will receive half of the advertised prize as a result of all their work, and are then subjected to a horrendous royalty structure as they seek to earn out the rest of their awarded prize.

Atari wins big as they get to cherry pick the very best ideas developers submit with absolutely no risk or costs. They then stand to make a huge profit on the resulting product long with terms that practically guarantee they will be profitable long before the developers see any sort of reasonable return for their efforts.

This kind of contest preys on developers who want to jump at the chance to work with a huge brand, and think it could be a great opportunity to make their big break. The reality is that the terms of this contest, exploits developers and only provide benefit to the sponsors putting it on.

In response, they corrected course with "major updates," extending publishing agreements to 3 years, and offering to showcase the entries. They also extended the deadline, possibly because they didn't get enough entrants?

Looks like they got enough entries to award some prizes. Finalists here, including the crowd favorites. Game looks boring as F, but that's Pong for you.

The highest community-rated game was Pong EVO (average of 4.2/5 stars and 70326 votes)

This rent-seeking behavior is not new. Atari is lame and it has no shame.

Do you really want to give money to these dotards?

post-2410-0-32389400-1509991614.jpgpost-2410-0-08961000-1509991628.jpg

• Like 1

Please don't link to Forbes contributor blogs at all if you want to be taken seriously. Those are not reputable sources, they're opinion pieces. Forbes is clickbait garbage that relies on its once-trusted name.

Can you think of any OTHER fleabag companies with little to offer that are trading on an old brand name that stopped earning love and respect long ago?

attachicon.gif70F580A2-3A33-4D58-A553-44215D18A2FE.jpeg

You have won best Internet post of the day.

• Like 1

Since Atari has such an incredible community, and the community has really kept it alive, and the corporate powers-that-be are so open to community input, and they want to make the community part of the process which they assure us will be incorporated into the final product, and because they want a product that speaks to you while staying true to it's roots, and because they are using crowd funding for the community......

"Make Your Own Ataribox"

contest.

You'll start with everything you have to go on for the new Ataribox. That's right, a plastic rendered box. Make your own provocative controls, extraordinary inner workings, amazing accessories, and stupendous software features.

What could be inside of it? Who knows what mysteries of past and future gaming greatness lurk within it's carefully rendered horizontal lines? What magic awaits you inside......the "Ataribox"?

aboxinside.jpgaboxdemo.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/bXnNvw/aboxinside.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/hNaaXb/aboxdemo.jpg

One edition to this... you need to slap a screen capture of the U1MB bios / or possibly the screen shot of the old Atari Robot demo...

its going to be a steam machine right?

attachicon.gifsteam.jpg

Your empty renders are impressive, well done!

Believe it or not, the "make your own" contest, lame as it is, isn't fantasy. Atari pulled this back in 2012, with their "Indie Developer Challenge!" (exclamation points are theirs) to remake Pong. They brought in Nolan Bushnell as a judge, which was a cute twist.

That's right, spec work. They got some bad press about it: Why Atari's Pong Indie Developer Challenge is bad for developers comes to mind.

In response, they corrected course with "major updates," extending publishing agreements to 3 years, and offering to showcase the entries. They also extended the deadline, possibly because they didn't get enough entrants?

Looks like they got enough entries to award some prizes. Finalists here, including the crowd favorites. Game looks boring as F, but that's Pong for you.

The highest community-rated game was Pong EVO (average of 4.2/5 stars and 70326 votes)

This rent-seeking behavior is not new. Atari is lame and it has no shame. Do you really want to give money to these dotards?

attachicon.gifwhat is inside AtariBox.jpgattachicon.gifinside AtariBox.jpg

Okay, I spoke too soon. You have all won the Internet this fine day. Now we can go home and bask in the glory of victory!

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

Unfortunately Quality is entirely subjective. I recently got Diablo 3 for the PS4. I am so bored to tears with it I would consider just ignoring it, but it passes the time. Blizzard used to be good at balancing games, but playing the necomancer is ridiculously easy. On the other hand, I have put in a lot of hours on games like Sundered, Bro Force, etc. Both of which have Linux versions.

I stated to my younger brother the other day that with very few exceptions, we cn remember games from the 8bit era (especially the music!) More than we can duing the 16 and 32bit. Creativity was stomped out by the AAA publishers long ago, which is why the "Indie" scene is so popular now.

We can't speak to performance at all yet for the Ataribox, since we don't even know the specs, but of course I would be amazed if it could handle Mad Max in 1080p with no frames dropped. Until they added Vulkan support, my PC could barely handle the last area on max settings. But they have repeatedly stated that isn't what theyare going for. We should face the fact that there was no such thing as AAA games back when Atari was making their own.. they were a blast and we still remember how fun and challenging they were/are. That is why the Dark Souls games are so popular, because they don't hold your hand. I was thinking of getting the Call of Duty WWII game (about time they went back to killing nazis) but even it had mixed reviews on Steam.

Quality is definitely subjective, but I don't think Diablo 3 is a good example. Besides loving it myself (I have it on PC and Xbox One), it's a massive, popular seller. There's no way around that being the type of game that a mass - not a niche - of players would be looking for.

Again, indie stuff is great, but indie stuff is also readily available on every other current platform. There's no current platform where indie games are lacking or can't relatively easily find a home. An Ataribox is not needed for that. I've maintained from the beginning that the question Atari will have to answer with the Ataribox is simply, why? Why get an Ataribox over countless other options. If they answer that, great. If not, they'll struggle beyond that small niche we've long talked about.

Difficultly is also subjective. I was never a gifted player, but I've definitely slowed in my advancing age. I don't play games where I get my ass kicked anymore and enjoy it. My limit is something like Cuphead, which is tough, but at least fair.

• Like 2

Again, indie stuff is great, but indie stuff is also readily available on every other current platform. There's no current platform where indie games are lacking or can't relatively easily find a home. An Ataribox is not needed for that. I've maintained from the beginning that the question Atari will have to answer with the Ataribox is simply, why? Why get an Ataribox over countless other options. If they answer that, great. If not, they'll struggle beyond that small niche we've long talked about.

Very much agreed Bill. They have to have really compelling reason(s) to buy the console other than a heavy dose of nostalgia. Shoot, AtGames has that pretty much covered as it is with their Atari Flashback (2600) product line. If they aren't going to do something (really well) beyond the 2600, I think their goose is pretty much cooked.

• Like 2