IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Sales?
I see my local Wal-Marty has a C64 mini still on the shelf, it was marked down to $50 CAD, it was on the liquidation shelf at the front of the store last year, somehow it survived the massive renovation & ended back on the shelf, not IN the glass cabinet, just kicking around with the other crap like all those videogame lootBox, sega mini atari flashback & other various random stuff.

So for Atari to sell a No-name console & expect masive sales figures, they truly are up a creek without an engine.
Who the heck is going to pick up an Atari video game console? Kids dont want this, only nostalgia driven OLD adults would give this a second glance.
Remember all those retro cars Detroit made a good 20 years ago? T-bird Chevy hotrod & what not, the target what a small base, assuming these people remembered it they would have to get the people who were willing to PAY for such a thing.

Atari is looking at a small group within a group, Atari ain't rising up like some decal off a Firebird.

My point is that these things were at the FRONT OF THE STORE and they could not sell them, as in prime location!
This Atari is going to be locked in a case at the bottom of the shelf, just wait until it hits $50, this way you can get one on the back of Cheeseguy's failure, then you will feel good knowing that you paid less for it than the parts are worth. But I highly doubt this will be in store, just online fulfilled by a third party. Good luck getting warranty.

• Like 5

I strongly suspect the vast majority of people that give a shit about the Atari logo are the same one's who blindly threw money at their IGG money grab, and the rest are shakin their damn heads watchin this dumpster fire burn. Personally, I've never believed their numbers. I strongly suspect they were significantly inflated from the get go. That would be consistent with everything they've done to date.

• Like 5

It's been said in other threads, "Sad Times" when it turns out the whole thing was a sham.  Even if it did come into existence, it would be one of those $10 deals during those Black Friday trash n grab's at Walmart ten years later sitting outside in a truck-trailer in a parking lot.  And since we're on the subjects of sharks, here's the land shark from "Jaws III" on SNL (when it was good).

Saturday Night Live – “Land Shark” Jaws skit 1975 ...

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, The Historian said:

93810419_FireShotCapture002-Thisamountofsilencecanonlymeandelayorfailure_Atari_VCS_Off_-www.reddit_com.thumb.png.62b09cf40ebd1f6d59d5540594655230.png

Also for context, they hadn't posted in 3 weeks and they only responded to the first two posts and ignored all the other questions.  At this point, this non-response basically straight up confirms that a delay is the best that anyone can hope for.  It looks like their lawyer is telling them that they can't say the project is on track anymore.

503526607_Screenshot2019-11-2017_53_04.thumb.png.b72c4d7c41b98827468e1c42cf7abdb7.png

• Like 4

James is quite the optimist, I'll say that much.  Although I'm not sure about that whole red light, green light stuff.  What color is the light in February when the VCS hasn't  been shipped to backers, and Fred is on Fox Business with the adjacent screen showing Halo Reach gameplay?

Screenshot_20191120-220014_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

"'Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Fred the Foolish? I thought not. It's not a story the Werners would tell you. It's an Atari Age legend.  He scammed others of money.  He made 3 million dollars and then lost it to a Nigerian prince."

20191120_221142.jpg

Edited by Agillig
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Who else remembers "Mr. Jaws?"

4 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Did someone say Jaws?

350?cb=20130204003959

There'll be a set time if the VCS Releases when it'll be dirt cheap, like the GX4000, 32X etc where its at its sweet point/knees. Then ten years later when we go "oh yeah, lets go have a look at it now as a retro machine" it'll be full retail whack from eBay reseller for profits.

Just thought of this...Yeah yeah I know I'm off topic...(Bite me!  Ha!)  ...Not a single taco in this whole cartoon...But ummm French stuff...

Le Shark...LOL

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Wrong movie and this picture is not even an actual sequence from Jaws anyway! ?
It's maybe funnier than what I had in mind, though... ?

kma.gif.bd590d133b3454cb88bb60a5c8259195.gif

:D

Meanwhile .... the sound of ruffling pigeon feathers is getting a bit louder.

commentJP.thumb.PNG.78e189ccba418fcd5716f7b95cfa38a0.PNG

wholly.gif.7c4b975007a0d026593967026c466c15.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Agillig said:

"'Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Fred the Foolish? I thought not. It's not a story the Werners would tell you. It's an Atari Age legend.  He scammed others of money.  He made 3 million dollars and then lost it to a Nigerian prince."

20191120_221142.jpg

Is it possible to learn how to avoid these scams?

Not from a pigeon. 

• Haha 5

79919011-4965-47CD-9DA7-1726ECA98305.thumb.png.5bea5d0ea596582a6c30d5772142bd75.png

I'm pretty sure that whatever work is [not] being done on this project is far from France. Wyatt was in CO, Arzt is in NY, Moak is in CA. They never disclosed the location of the plywood garage summit, but it was enough of an "event" they only did that once. Maybe Fred should skip the Varney show next time and check in on his worker bees instead. 

Lesson learned: using other people's money to pre-fund your project makes them stakeholders, makes them say things like "OUR project." Disappoint them, risk losing your most faithful fans:

7E7DC08C-2A70-4D67-A437-BA3CABEE088D.thumb.png.f65a5970b8b41e02ccbc5b93abc16e1c.png

Mr. Phelan has built this thing up so much, it's going to hurt him most of all when it fails. Cold comfort: boycotting Atari won't be difficult, they don't have that many products, and you can get the best ones secondhand. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

79919011-4965-47CD-9DA7-1726ECA98305.thumb.png.5bea5d0ea596582a6c30d5772142bd75.png

I'm pretty sure that whatever work is [not] being done on this project is far from France. Wyatt was in CO, Arzt is in NY, Moak is in CA. They never disclosed the location of the plywood garage summit, but it was enough of an "event" they only did that once. Maybe Fred should skip the Varney show next time and check in on his worker bees instead. 

Lesson learned: using other people's money to pre-fund your project makes them stakeholders, makes them say things like "OUR project." Disappoint them, risk losing your most faithful fans:

7E7DC08C-2A70-4D67-A437-BA3CABEE088D.thumb.png.f65a5970b8b41e02ccbc5b93abc16e1c.png

Mr. Phelan has built this thing up so much, it's going to hurt him most of all when it fails. Cold comfort: boycotting Atari won't be difficult, they don't have that many products, and you can get the best ones secondhand. 

You know the situation is dire when Blakey is getting antsy.   Better hope you know who doesn't see this, or he'll get the ban hammer on the Facebook supporters page.

Atari doesn't really even seem that interested in the VCS right now, which is the exact opposite of how they'd act if this was a real product.  

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, The Historian said:

93810419_FireShotCapture002-Thisamountofsilencecanonlymeandelayorfailure_Atari_VCS_Off_-www.reddit_com.thumb.png.62b09cf40ebd1f6d59d5540594655230.png

I'm so skeptical about this but I realize I'm jaded.

Anyway, today marks one month (Oct. 21st) since Atari VCS made a new main post on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/atariVCS

One month for a new main post on the official Reddit (a mere ~month after abandoning @The Historian's) : https://www.reddit.com/r/Atari_VCS_Official/new/

One month for Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/the_atarivcs/?hl=en

A day less than a month (Oct. 22nd) for a new non-retweet post on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheAtari_VCS 

If they were going radio silent because they "heard the community", surely there was a better way to convey this than to just go immediately silent?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

This is a pretty clear case of damned if they do, damned if they don't. 

Posting stupid nonsense? Mockery. 

Posting nothing? Mockery. 

Release a hunk of garbage? Mockery. 

Delay to try to make it better? Mockery. 

Release something good? AS IF

Or they could, you know...simply post regular weekly updates on normal progress and setbacks.

Madness, I know.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, racerx said:

Or they could, you know...simply post regular weekly updates on normal progress and setbacks.

Madness, I know.

That's not how you do transparency, Atari-style!

I'm thinking this Frenchman would be a better community manager than the current one:

(I'm such a "like" whore.  Please don't feed me.)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, racerx said:

Madness, I know.

You mean like a legitimate company?  Oh well 40 more days until the end of the year.  I'm sure when New Year's Eve rolls around, they'll all be watching for the UPS guy for their package. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

I'm sure Michael Arzt would love to be able to do that. 

Leadership 101: you're only as good as your team allows you to be. 

Maybe not.  When he has a group of unpaid brown shirts running around belittling anyone who raises concerns about the project, why does he need a team to keep the pigeons in line?

I mean, he's got the backers' money,  so that's not an issue. I would say no one is going to fall for the buy out nonsense, but the Red Eye report tells me there are plenty of suckers in the financial realm also.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2