IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

Yes, for 2018 the emulator needs to run at a rock-solid 60fps at all times and add a low-pass filter on audio so it's not so shrill. That could be done with a faster SoC or with software optimizations. The videos that Bill posted in his review completely turned me off to the device. Frame skipping was rampant in Sonic 1, of all games, and the top end on the audio was far too loud. 2018 wish list:

1.) Speed up the emulator

2.) Roll off the highs

3.) Support SRAM emulation for both built-in games and carts (save it to the device and not the cart to help people that have carts with dead batteries)

4.) Try to license Streets of Rage 1 and 2, at a minimum, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles

5.) Add an SD slot that allows loading ROMS

6.) Make whatever cosmetic changes you want.

1-3 are absolutely critical if AtGames wants to meet the standard set by Nintendo.

4 I get is up to Sega, but those games should be there.

5-6 are less important. Other folks would probably rate 5 much higher.

Edit: if this guide really is that easy to follow, I might just have to get a 2017 edition and make a custom games list. There's like 700+ MB of free space.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I'm not going to go into details at this time, but the new features across-the-board (including SD consoles and handhelds) will be fantastic. With that said, I do agree 100% that similarly, emulation across-the-board could also use improving, but, whether it will be or not (other than addressing the sound bug on the Sega SD and handheld) - and, if so, by how much - is still open at this time. It IS on the list of things to do, though, but that doesn't always mean it can be solved (or something else doesn't come up) before finalizing before production.

4.) Try to license Streets of Rage 1 and 2, at a minimum, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Unfortunately, Sonic 3 has rights issues related to Michael Jackson's music, so it's unclear if that's going to be something available for licensing again in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

The Sonic 3 music issue is a pity that's also preventing fans from getting a Sonic 3 & Knuckles (my favourite game ever) remastered version like the Sonic 1, 2 and CD existing for mobile. The rights cost must be unreasonably huge if Sega doesn't have them already.

I wonder how can Sega publish their Mega Drive Classics collections for consoles and PC with Sonic 3 & Knuckles having Sonic 3 its original soundtrack. I guess they were released before whatever year the license expired or something.

Actually, if roms could be added through USB or SD card slot (USB would be better and less expensive, I think), it doesn't matter too much what games are bundled with the console.

About emulation, I think every Mega Drive lover will agree that it's probably the most important issue to address. Any other improvement regarding shell or controllers is welcome, but in the end, the emulator is 99% of the user experience. It's what you're actually using this product for: playing games from your childhood as you remember, not worse.

I totally respect AtGames' roadmap, but I can't help but stress how important perfecting the emulator is (to me) :)

Edited by molul
  • Like 2

I totally respect AtGames' roadmap, but I can't help but stress how important perfecting the emulator is (to me) :)

The problem is costing them sales. I was wasting a little time at GameStop Sunday night. Desperate parents were trying to find SNES classics for their kids or their SO's and failing. Almost every one of them asked about the Sega systems and the GameStop staff was warding people off. I'll give props to the GameStop staff here - they had stacks of the AtGames consoles (both varieties) and just told people "look, you don't want this. it's better than it was in the past, but it's still janky."

Unfortunately, Sonic 3 has rights issues related to Michael Jackson's music, so it's unclear if that's going to be something available for licensing again in the foreseeable future.

That's a shame. Sonic 3 has been for sale in the Steam store since 2011 (2 years after MJ's death) so it's a bummer if SEGA or AtGames can't get a similar deal. It would be fun to have Moonwalker in this way, too.

That's a shame. Sonic 3 has been for sale in the Steam store since 2011 (2 years after MJ's death) so it's a bummer if SEGA or AtGames can't get a similar deal. It would be fun to have Moonwalker in this way, too.

I don't know all of the details. I'm not sure if it's a "just to be safe" type of thing or an actual restriction. It might also be similar to Frogger where anything after x date can no longer have the music.

It's a shame that in cases like this where you're literally running the original code without modification that any original licenses can't still apply, particularly since the company making the original deal and producing/publishing the game is still the same company.

• Like 1

Just announced: Retro-bit will unveil bluetooth Sega controllers licensed by Sega -> http://segabits.com/blog/2017/12/19/retro-bit-announces-sega-partnership-creating-usb-and-bluetooth-genesis-saturn-and-dreamcast-accessories/#comment-878650

Now THESE would be the perfect controllers for next Mega Drive Flashback.

Bluetooth controllers would be so very good with my RPi3, but 8bitdo-style Retro Receivers for the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast would also be insta-buys.

• Like 1

I haven't bought an AtGames Sega product in years, but this hint certainly has my attention for 2018.

I liked what I saw with this year's product and consider the issues I've seen as unfortunate but relatively minor. But my somewhat small cart collection and the inability to support my Everdrive kept me away this year. Especially since a large swath of the built-in library were games that I either already have access to on HD platforms thanks to Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and such, or just have no interest in like Mortal Kombat.

But if the 2018 model suddenly can play 90% or more of the Genesis library via SD card, that's a game changer from my perspective.

Edited by Atariboy

Wow: https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/943997378075357184

Retrobit is making a Sega Genesis mini next year.

Too funny. The false rumor that just won't die. It will be interesting to see how out of hand it really gets (I'm thinking very). Edited by BillLoguidice

I'd actually be more confident if the deal was with 8bitdo instead of retrobit. 8bitdo controllers are really good.

I have been lobbying 8bitdo in various ways for over a year now without even so little as a Twitter acknowledgement. If they weren't doing it, Hyperkin would have been my second choice (I got a Scout for SNES Classic and it's really nice, and their Genesis 6-button controllers are a far sight better than the Retrobit ones), but I'm gonna take what I can get.

• Like 1

Didn't the two pair up for a N64 style PC controller recently?

Yes, I have that one (and 5 more 8bitdo controllers). retro-bit provided the shell and 8bitdo the bluetooth part. It's pretty good, although I haven't heard the same opinions for the retrobit Genesis controllers. Also I think the n64 was discontinued, or at least 8bitdo is not showing it on their website.