IGNORED

Still learning about 1200XL's...

DavidMil

The 1200XL I bought off of ebay a while back was sold for parts as it didn't have a power supply or keyboard. This is the one I've

been asking questions about for a couple of weeks now. IE. Only one 28 pin socket and misplaced jumpers. Well, I got it to boot

up to the Rainbow Atari logo and I can get a ready prompt with Basic installed, and it boots up to MyDos too. I just don't have a

keyboard to do anything with. Here's my latest problem,,, I talked to DrVenkman and he has never heard of a keyboard connector

on a 1200XL like the one on this machine. It is not a mylar ribbon type connector but rather a old Atari 800 style connector (see

picture). Has anybody ever seen one like this? The board says C060585 Rev 13A.

DavidMil

post-47264-0-55342200-1498524191_thumb.jpg

I need to clarify - I didn't say I'd never heard of it, I said it was unique among production machines to the 1200XL (I don't count the handful of 1400XLs and 1450XLDs as "production" machines). I said I don't know what the part is that matches it, though I'm sure at one time it was a standard stock part that Mitsumi used for the 1200XL keyboard assembly.

I also noted that just finding the right connector won't solve the keyboard issue, since the 1200XL keyboard also has a pair of 4051's on it to decode keypresses, while on the rest of the XL line they're incorproated into the motherboard. So whatever gets used as a keyboard for David's 1200XL will have to have something similar.

Are those the elusive rev11 ROMs with the R trademark in the rainbow logo?

There is a R to the right of the Atari. Like I said, I've never even touched a 1200XL before I got this unit, so

I'm a deferent newbie here. Here is a screen shot...

DavidMil

post-47264-0-84124300-1498537047_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I also never seen a 1200XL over here but in my opinion it was a big fault that Atari didn't kept the cart entry on top like is on the 600XL and 800XL.

First because it's a bigger size machine and all that white empty/with nothing at the top doesn't look good/right. It destroys the beauty XLs design really... In my opinion the 600XL suffered on its looking for not have that same and right size like the 800XL on the light part at the top but, probably, was to make the difference between the two and to show wich of the two had more Memory. The XLs design are still a 'state of the art' but, maybe because was the one I had ;), 800XL had the best looking vs size vs best to use.

And second because was already talked by some of you on other(s) topic(s) about the constraints of the 65XE and 130XE in having the cart port on the back in horizontal position that makes people suffer to insert carts and isn't, probably, also good to keep them in well conditions after many tries.

Indeed, the two previously XLs were a great art of design and beat others manufacturers just by the cart is best to use at the top though the XLs overall looking is so great looking compared to BBC, C16/Vic20/C64 breadboxs, Amstrad CPC and even the Apple ][ that for me always thought it looked so fat looking and needed a diet :grin:, but this probably of possibilities to add stuff inside?

Edited by José Pereira

I've never seen a ribbon cable connected to the cart port before. I'm curious how hacked together this unit is. What is the serial number on the bottom, including the 3 digit ink stamp?

As for solving the keyboard problem: either someone will have to sell you a spare (and working) keyboard, you hack one yourself from another 600/800xl and some 4051s (that's going to be ugly), or you go the Transkey route. You might also hack a XEGS keyboard cable up too but you'll have to add the special keys and reset. I'd vote Transkey while begging for a 1200xl keyboard.

I've never seen a ribbon cable connected to the cart port before.

Jon (flashjazzcat) had a unit with a cart connector ribbon like that on his bench for one of his video series a month or two back. Didn’t look like a mod, just a different method of assembly.

I’m curious what the motherboard revision is though. My two are both Rev 13A if I recall correctly.

I also never seen a 1200XL over here but in my opinion it was a big fault that Atari didn't kept the cart entry on top like is on the 600XL and 800XL.

If I'm not mistaken, the 1200XL was actually the first XL. The 600XL and 800XL came aftwards, so they moved the cartridge port from the side to the top.

• Like 2

Are those the elusive rev11 ROMs with the R trademark in the rainbow logo?

Yes, those are the rev 11 ROMs. I did a lot of experimenting with them compared to the rev 10s that shipped and the rev 11 is +95% compatible with the 600/800XL OS ROMs. Rev 11 is leaps and bounds more compatible with software when compared to the original rev 10 ROMs. There are still some titles that won't run on rev 11, but will on a 600/800XL. I run the 600/800XL OS in my 1200XLs for maximum compatibility and the 600/800XL OS ROMs retained all the 1200XL keyboard and LED functionality (later dropped in the XE OS ROMs). I go one step farther in my 1200XLs. I also run the Omniview XE OS. It is based on the 400/800 OSb, but still allows 64K RAM access. Has 80 column output and the fast math floating point routines. I put both OS's on two 27C128 EPROMS and run the high bit (pin 26) to the channel (2-3) selection center post. I don't use the RF video and the existing channel select switch is already conveniently (GND - center- +5VDC). The switch is repurposed to be the OS selector. It simply pulls the high bit low or high on the EPROM to select the high and low 8K ROM bank to use. Cosmetically, the machine retains its stock appearance.

Edited by ACML
  • Like 4

First because it's a bigger size machine and all that white empty/with nothing at the top doesn't look good/right. It destroys the beauty XLs design really... In my opinion the 600XL suffered on its looking for not have that same and right size like the 800XL on the light part at the top but, probably, was to make the difference between the two and to show wich of the two had more Memory. The XLs design are still a 'state of the art' but, maybe because was the one I had ;), 800XL had the best looking vs size vs best to use.

And second because was already talked by some of you on other(s) topic(s) about the constraints of the 65XE and 130XE in having the cart port on the back in horizontal position that makes people suffer to insert carts and isn't, probably, also good to keep them in well conditions after many tries.

Indeed, the two previously XLs were a great art of design and beat others manufacturers just by the cart is best to use at the top though the XLs overall looking is so great looking compared to BBC, C16/Vic20/C64 breadboxs, Amstrad CPC and even the Apple ][ that for me always thought it looked so fat looking and needed a diet :grin:, but this probably of possibilities to add stuff inside?

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I loath the cartridge slot on top like a console instead of a real computer and love the way they did the 1200Xl cartridge slot hidden on the side instead of on top or in back, especially if you using pass-through cartridges, that looks so bad and you have to have the monitor up high or of the side so stacked cartridge don't block your view.

When I start fixing and modding my 800XL, I'll be moving the cartridge slot to the side and using the space on top for an LED display for SIO2SD.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2