IGNORED

Shopgoodwill Atari 2600 Auctions

jmp4me444

Items go for way to high and shipping and handeling is usually stupid high . And I don't think they put much care into packing items if I remember hearing correctly . I think years ago the site was known for putting fake bids in to make the prices go up on auctions .

• Like 3

There's less competition with other bidders there. I've bought some gameboy things from them. Even if you think you're getting a good deal, high shipping costs are always a rude surprise. Plus your money is going to goodwill industries, which isn't the worst thing in the world but they have some questionable employment practices for people with disabilities.

• Like 1

You will not get a bargain at Goodwill, though at least you can be assured that there are no con-games happening. (ex-con, perhaps) However a poor recent trend is that some Goodwill sellers have figured out that they can unload a large amount of "garbage" by bundling, for example a recent auction with a C128 and about half a dozen Wii's and pounds of sports game manure went for over $500, so if you were looking for just a C128 you were out of luck. (I suppose a patient and enterprising buyer could recoup their expenses by ebaying the rest.)

• Like 1

I got an atari light sixer from them for $18 in excellent condition, only had to re-solder the power port to get it working again. A working model 1 genesis + 3 games for $26, and an intellivision for $10 (hasn't been delivered yet so can't comment on the condition) as well as a few games for various systems. Not been charged more than $10-$11 for shipping, except for the sixer which I think was maybe $14-$15.

While the goodwill site does seem to have less options for buyer protection, if you stick to the auctions that accept paypal then they'll have you covered.

• Like 1

They definately have very suspect auctions, here is some reading

http://m.ripoffreport.com/reports/shopgoodwillcom-goodwill/nationwide/shopgoodwillcom-goodwill-blatant-shill-bidding-hey-goodwill-you-get-it-all-free-anyway-425947

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.shopgoodwill.com/amp

http://www.viewpoints.com/shopgoodwill-com-reviews

Just a small sample of the info that is out there. Without a doubt there is and has been shill bidding in there site.

• 1 month later...

I recently bid on some sort of sticker-cutter-plotter device for $11 at SGW. A couple of days before the end, I received a "You have been outbid" email, so I thought, f'-it, the thing is probably garbage.

Then, I received an email saying that I had won the auction. Either someone seriously regretted not being able to scratch up the $12 they bid to win the item, or a shill realized that I was not going to take the bait and the thing wouldn't sell at all if they didn't cancel their bid.

I see the same items relisted a lot, but I'm always a little surprised by how much new stuff gets listed. Not much Atari stuff -- maybe four or five lots a day -- but you can get good deals on 6th and 7th gen consoles, which are plentiful. Most of the ones I've won have worked and been packed very well. Everything varies by location, though -- shipping cost, time to ship, etc.

There was a light sixer lot that ended yesterday that had a loose Chase the Chuckwagon. Ten games and the blue cloth Atari dustcover. Went for $111 plus shipping. Not a terrible deal, and you know the CTCW is probably authentic.

Also an APF Imagination Machine plus console went for $311.

I was bidding on that for the specific reason of getting Chuckwagon (somewhat rare) and Ms. Pac-Man (don't have a copy). More than likely would have bundled it back up w/0 those titles and sold the rest with some extra carts I have sitting around on ebay. Was outbid by $1 ;-) Some times you win sometimes you lose.

I bought a few things on shopgoodwill but was a few years ago. Can maybe find something nowadays but last few years been getting retail price type of bids on items and sometimes with shipping involved its easier/cheaper/more buyer protection to just buy on Ebay or go to Disctraders, etc.

Edited by cvgplus

I was bidding on that for the specific reason of getting Chuckwagon (somewhat rare) and Ms. Pac-Man (don't have a copy). More than likely would have bundled it back up w/0 those titles and sold the rest with some extra carts I have sitting around on ebay. Was outbid by $1 ;-) Some times you win sometimes you lose.

You could probably save some money on eBay by buying the things you wanted separately, but I think it finished right where it probably should have. A fair deal, not a great one.

I bought a few things on shopgoodwill but was a few years ago. Can maybe find something nowadays but last few years been getting retail price type of bids on items and sometimes with shipping involved its easier/cheaper/more buyer protection to just buy on Ebay or go to Disctraders, etc.

I approach SG differently from eBay in that I know what I'm getting into -- stuff that's minimally tested or not at all. I'm not going to return something to Goodwill even though some of them allow you to.

Some locations will test consoles while others won't. If an Xbox 360 Slim powers up, then I think there's a good chance it will work. PS3 fats, it's a crapshoot (I've had one work, one with blinking red light). For 7th gen, assume that the HDD is gone, unless stated otherwise. But if you're patient, you can pick up lots with games and accessories that limit the risk you take with the console.

I like SG as a change of pace from eBay. I don't think that there are any sniping services that work reliably with it, so everyone is on equal ground there. And, as I said, you can be fairly sure that there are no repros. You can get original Xboxes and Xbox 360s very cheap (if you're willing to risk that they're working). Anything 5th gen or before is usually priced too high; I suspect game stores and other resellers have too much 6th/7th gen stock and can't be bothered, so that's where you can find some bargains.

If you like retro PCs, it's a great place to get hardware from 1998-2005 pretty cheap.

It's only a really decent deal if you live by one of the sellers( Brooklyn Park MN is 30min from me).

Set to search by store, I'll pick up gamecubes (dol-001) for about $10 for pick up in person( still charge a $2 "handling" feeicon_frown.gif ).

I gotten better deals on the shopgoodwill more often than ebay.

I'll the stuff I got shipped was packaged REALLY well - double and sometimes triple bubble wrap.

I got a 2600 lot with the 80's record player style organizer with a bunch of semi rare controllers for like $30.

Won a lot with bunch of camera junk - with a Nikon flash that was worth $200. Paid like $40?

Its mostly patience and timing. And knowing when go, hey it's just not worth that much and quit.

They also do have a return policy that you can work with - nothing is really sold "as-is".

Edited by H454