IGNORED

ISO an XF521 (XE prototype) 5.25" floppy drive

wiualum04

It actually gets a picture but part of the screen is masked/darkened by the black line on the middle-left side of the screen. The sound works great...but the picture is somewhat garbled. I just need to find someone who can look at it and fix it to get the screen working 100%.

Where are you located?

• 2 weeks later...

That'd be great. I'll let you know!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Someone sold one of those monitors for me recently. Considering this is a rare monitor I'm willing to be this is probably the one that I let go. Did you purchase this monitor from someone in Canada? If so, I can provide a little information about its history.

• 4 months later...

I'm in mid-Michigan and I'm an electronics engineer so if you can't find anyone closer, I'd be willing to look at it.

That'd be great. I'll let you know!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Have you repaired the monitor?

Someone sold one of those monitors for me recently. Considering this is a rare monitor I'm willing to be this is probably the one that I let go. Did you purchase this monitor from someone in Canada? If so, I can provide a little information about its history.

If it's not a secret could you tell us some more?

• 3 weeks later...

There's no secret. The XC-1411 monitor came from Atari's main office in Markham, Ontario, Canada. As far as I'm aware they used it in their service department to diagnose and repair the 8-bit series of computers. When Atari closed their doors in Markham, Ontario it was left behind. It was given to me by a friend. (I think I may have actually traded a surround sound module, that I built in a high school electronics class, for the XC-1411.) I am not exactly sure how he wound up with this monitor.

I used it as a TV for several years. After that, it sat in my parent's basement for well over 20 years. I finally dug it out two years ago and had another friend look at it because it had developed a peculiar issue with colour fade out. Essentially after about 20 minutes the picture would fade to black and white. He determined that a capacitor had gone bad and replaced it. As a precaution, he also went further and replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors. From what I know he then put it on Ebay for sale.

If the XC-1411 is the one that I let go, I hope the new owner can get it repaired. It would be a shame to see it go to waste.

The XC-1411 was manufactured by Goldstar (LG Electronics). Goldstar was also one of 3 companies that manufactured the SC1224 monitor for the Atari ST series of computers. The XC-1411 closely resembles the Goldstar SC1224 monitor. One of the differences is that the XC-1411 monitor has a red power indicator whereas the SC1224 has a green power indicator. Electronically speaking the XC-1411 may be a similar design to the Goldstar SC1224 with only one major difference. The XC-1411 would have an additional composite video to RGB circuit.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
2 hours ago, mrwebber35 said:

Old thread but I have to ask. I am trying to match and <or> repair a Tandon TM65 2L that maybe Atari incorporated in their machines. Can anyone confirm they used the Tandon?

Atari did use Tandon mechanisms in most 1050s, but these were single sided bare mechanisms with all the sensors/motors connecting to headers on the 1050 PCB. The TM65 2L is a double sided 360KB drive with an ISA floppy interface.