IGNORED

Spectrum 512 not working on my 520ST

I have a 520ST that I've expanded to 4MB RAM and upgraded to Rainbow TOS (1.04). NTSC machine w/ a SC1224. When I run any of the Spectrum 512 slideshow disks, I get garbled images. I know timing is key with Spectrum 512, but I'm not accelerating the system.

Any ideas?

I used Spectrum 512 happily on my decades-ago 520ST w/ earlier TOS and 1MB RAM. Thanks.

bp

I have a 520ST that I've expanded to 4MB RAM and upgraded to Rainbow TOS (1.04). NTSC machine w/ a SC1224. When I run any of the Spectrum 512 slideshow disks, I get garbled images. I know timing is key with Spectrum 512, but I'm not accelerating the system.

Any ideas?

I used Spectrum 512 happily on my decades-ago 520ST w/ earlier TOS and 1MB RAM. Thanks.

bp

It is timing dependent. Try a different slideshow program? I have a vague memory that Spectrum had to be updated for later STs. Maybe try the "Photochrome" program, which is the best image viewer I know of for ST.

It is timing dependent. Try a different slideshow program? I have a vague memory that Spectrum had to be updated for later STs. Maybe try the "Photochrome" program, which is the best image viewer I know of for ST.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to find an image for Photocrome and throw it on the HxC2K1.

bp

I had a 1mb upgraded 520ST back in the 90s with the same problem. This particular STFM worked fine until it had been running 5 to 10 minutes and then spectrum images would begin to flicker and become garbled. The Union Demo 'Level16' screen would be particularly screwed up. After powering the computer off for a while, the problem would go away. It would return again when things had time to warm up. The video shifter was socketed, so I replaced it and saw no change. I ended up trading that ST for another one that worked fine.

I have always wondered if the faulty one had some issue with the upgrade drams..cold solder joint or faulty chip somewhere? Maybe the factory memory had slightly different timing? Sorry to introduce more questions instead of answers. :)

I had a 1mb upgraded 520ST back in the 90s with the same problem. This particular STFM worked fine until it had been running 5 to 10 minutes and then spectrum images would begin to flicker and become garbled. The Union Demo 'Level16' screen would be particularly screwed up. After powering the computer off for a while, the problem would go away. It would return again when things had time to warm up. The video shifter was socketed, so I replaced it and saw no change. I ended up trading that ST for another one that worked fine.

I have always wondered if the faulty one had some issue with the upgrade drams..cold solder joint or faulty chip somewhere? Maybe the factory memory had slightly different timing? Sorry to introduce more questions instead of answers. :)

mine never had that problem, but my STfm often showed black pixels in Spectrum images that I don't think should have been there. I don't think my STe had that problem.

• 6 months later...

I never got this working. I have 3 Spectrum 512 slideshow disks and all show garbled images on my 4MB expanded 520ST (no CPU accelerator or anything wonky like that).

I tried Photochrome app, but it seems just to convert TGA, IFF, etc. into Spectrum vs viewing Spectrum images.

Does anyone have a viewer that can render S512 images on this ST? Thanks.

bp

I never got this working. I have 3 Spectrum 512 slideshow disks and all show garbled images on my 4MB expanded 520ST (no CPU accelerator or anything wonky like that).

I tried Photochrome app, but it seems just to convert TGA, IFF, etc. into Spectrum vs viewing Spectrum images.

bp

Really ? Before writing such things should check better what some SW can. Photochrome is capable for much more than Spectrum 512, and was developed in last years too. I had some mailing with Douglas Little (man who did that SW), and he made it really well usable and configurable. Spectrum 512 was done before Atari STE, so can only 512 colors. Newer ones can 4096 colors, and even more using 2 alternating screens with slightly different palette. I used Photochrome images with game adaptations. You can try many of them without hard disk, from floppy, like: http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/moonpatr.html

Later I started to use Cyg's hi-color system, what is similar to Photochrome, with even more overscan. http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/p47.html

By later there are separated screens for ST and STE (file *.HST what starts with L is for ST) . There is compensation for USA ST timing difference (slightly diff, CPU clock) in later .

I think that your ST is just in not good condition, and that's the problem. Waiting your test results.

Really ? Before writing such things should check better what some SW can. Photochrome is capable for much more than Spectrum 512, and was developed in last years too. I had some mailing with Douglas Little (man who did that SW), and he made it really well usable and configurable. Spectrum 512 was done before Atari STE, so can only 512 colors. Newer ones can 4096 colors, and even more using 2 alternating screens with slightly different palette. I used Photochrome images with game adaptations. You can try many of them without hard disk, from floppy, like: http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/moonpatr.html

Later I started to use Cyg's hi-color system, what is similar to Photochrome, with even more overscan. http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/p47.html

By later there are separated screens for ST and STE (file *.HST what starts with L is for ST) . There is compensation for USA ST timing difference (slightly diff, CPU clock) in later .

I think that your ST is just in not good condition, and that's the problem. Waiting your test results.

It seems capable of much, but I don't see it being capable of loading Spectrum 512 images and displaying them. At least according to the filetypes that it indicate it loads on the file prompt. What am I missing? I want to look at Spectrum 512 images, not convert Targa, RAW, GIF, or IFF files to Spectrum, etc. It prompts with those options -- does not offer the loading of .SPC images that I can see. If it does support this functionality -- can you point out how to access it? Thanks.

bp

You need to test your computer first. If it can not display properly hi-color formats no sense for seeking SW what can display Spectrum 512 images (if there is at all some except Spectrum 512 self).

Your "it seems just to convert TGA, IFF, etc. into Spectrum" was misleading - why should it convert into Spectrum 512 format, when it uses more advanced formats ?

And of course, you can look those images with some emulator. And you could post here those 3 slideshow disk images ...

P.S. It's fascinating how little googling can find things in seconds: https://www.yaronet.com/topics/186587-spectrum-5124k-image-converter-for-the-atari-stste

Why they call it converter is not clear. As I see it only displays ...

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

You need to test your computer first. If it can not display properly hi-color formats no sense for seeking SW what can display Spectrum 512 images (if there is at all some except Spectrum 512 self).

Your "it seems just to convert TGA, IFF, etc. into Spectrum" was misleading - why should it convert into Spectrum 512 format, when it uses more advanced formats ?

And of course, you can look those images with some emulator. And you could post here those 3 slideshow disk images ...

P.S. It's fascinating how little googling can find things in seconds: https://www.yaronet.com/topics/186587-spectrum-5124k-image-converter-for-the-atari-stste

Why they call it converter is not clear. As I see it only displays ...

This < 2K SLIDE.PRG does view a .SPC image successfully. I put it on a floppy full of .SPC images and it loads and reloads just one image over and over and quits with any keypress. I wish it acted more as I might expect it to. :-/

LittleMan, I am not using a floppy drive - you guessed wrong. HxC2001. And I contacted the author of SLIDE.PRG it only supports .SPU files, not the compressed .SPC files. Youre wrong again, it seems.

Does any one else have any ideas re: NTSC Rainbow TOS 4MB 520ST showing garbled Spectrum 512 images? Thanks.

bp

Edited by blakespot

bp

Photochrome is not a converter, it loads in several different image formats and displays them using one of six different strategies, (including Spectrum) I thought it loaded spectrum, but I guess not.

It is capable of producing better results than Spectrum 512, and many common Spectrum 512 images are just converted from GIFs anyway, you can load those GIFs into photochrome.

So I guess if you are trying to view specific Spectum pics, it won't help, but if you want to see what the ST is really capable of graphically, then you should definitely check it out.

LittleMan, I am not using a floppy drive - you guessed wrong. HxC2001. And I contacted the author of SLIDE.PRG it only supports .SPU files, not the compressed .SPC files. Youre wrong again, it seems.

Does any one else have any ideas re: NTSC Rainbow TOS 4MB 520ST showing garbled Spectrum 512 images? Thanks.

bp

Sure, I'm wrong because wasting time with ungrateful, not capable even to use Google someone. Did I say that it can show SPC ? It was normal to assume that your floppy is in bad shape. And I offered you what to test, but you just repeat same and same again - how to watch Spectrum 512 images . Use emulator, use Google ... Don\t waste time with us, wrong people :rolling:

• 4 weeks later...