IGNORED

Had to unplug my Jag

Brian R.

I use an InterAct S-Video/Composite switchbox that I bought on sale from EB for $14. I have my GC hooked up through S-Video and my Jag, Neo Geo, and TG-16 all running through composite, and it works great!

In my experience, I'd stay away from anything from Pelican. They have a reputation of making pretty cheap products, in both price and quality. Funny that I say that, though, as the S-Video cable for my GC is Pelican... :D

The larger plugs also allow for some passive componets to be included inside the plug too.  They do work very well.. The size of plug isn't really an issue, after all the amount of empty space at the back of a TV is normaly quite a bit :)

Tell that to the guy who wants to hang his 52" plasma screen (1.5" thick) on his wall!

Thanks for answering my question, stupid as it was. On my basic Radio Shack switch box I have S-video for one system plugged into port #4 (just giving an example) as well as a composite/video =) cable plugged into #4 also for another system. When I want to play one system or another for that specific port I just unplug and plug in the stereo cables for that port. Both my S-Video and composite work fine plugged in. I don't see why you would need another box just for composite or just for S-video. My box isn't exactly high quality either. Unless I misunderstood the original question you should not have problems using both on the same box.

The larger plugs also allow for some passive componets to be included inside the plug too.  They do work very well.. The size of plug isn't really an issue, after all the amount of empty space at the back of a TV is normaly quite a bit :)

Tell that to the guy who wants to hang his 52" plasma screen (1.5" thick) on his wall!

Simple.. slight recess with the ports inside that. (so that the side of the plug is at a parallel with the screen, not with the sides. hope you get what I mean :) ).

Simple.. slight recess with the ports inside that. (so that the side of the plug is at a parallel with the screen, not with the sides. hope you get what I mean :) ).

Alternatively, you could use a 3rd-party cable. The actual connector on the SCART cable is only the size of the socket and about a half-inch deep, the housing size is pretty much optional. You can get really slimline ones now, including those with flat cables so they can do under carpets etc :)

Stone

Alternatively, you could use a 3rd-party cable. The actual connector on the SCART cable is only the size of the socket and about a half-inch deep, the housing size is pretty much optional. You can get really slimline ones now, including those with flat cables so they can do under carpets etc :)

Stone

All this boasting about how great SCART is, and nobody has mentioned that it's pretty much completely outclassed by DVI.

Oh well.

All this boasting about how great SCART is, and nobody has mentioned that it's pretty much completely outclassed by DVI.

Oh well.

But can you get DVI out of a Jag with a simple point-to-point cable?

That was the original point.

Stone

OK, time for my 2 cents about NTSC ;)

Every time I put something NTSC in my VCR/LD/DVD, my Philips PAL TV adds another control to the standard ones. It is called 'TINT' and it allows me to mess up the colours freely :D

Now, if it only was music-triggered I would have a TVLM :lol:

Ciao!

PS: IIRC, NTSC is older than PAL, so it is understandable that it is more 'fuzzy'.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could go into detail on exactly what SCART and DVI are, how they are different, and how they compare to S-Video and composite. Also what they are compatible with, what tv or monitors are required, and so on and so forth. I'm always happy to get the best picture I can, but I don't like to use monitors just because it's not worth it to lose that much size for a sharper image in my opinion. Unless I was rich and could afford a mega-size monitor or something.

Well, DVI is a digital video interface, and it looks it will be used sometime in the future, but not with the Jag, unless you think of hacking the jaguar to pick digital video signal from it ;)

(BTW I guess T'bird was just trying a last resort to put SCART down :twisted: )

SCART, also known as Peritelevision in France, is THE way to connect audio/video devices each other: it features RGB, stereo audio, composite video, and control signal, ALL of them IN AND OUT. Everything is performed in the analogue domain. All serious devices built in (or for) Europe in the last 15 years and ALL devices built now have a SCART socket.

Usually, TV sets have the whole pinout completely wired (since it is easy to drive directly R,G and B in a TV), VCRs have the composite IN/OUT wired, LDs DVDs and Jaguar have RGB out (and composite, of course), SVHS recorders have Y/C in/OUT that can be converted inside the SCART socket, PSuX has RGB out, satellite receivers have RGB and composite out...

Phew

Ciao!

I have the S-video and Composite cables both running into my TV, one to Video 1 on the TV and the other to Video 2 (front and back of TV; The back composite and S-video are on the Video 1 line, so maybe that's your problem? Do you have a front video jack too?).  

... and just select either Video 1 or 2 on the TV remote. :!:

Gunstar,

That is exactly my problem! I bought my JVC TV in 1994, and it only has the one set of composite/S-video connections in the back. My remote only has the one "TV/Video" button. I remember how frustrating it was trying to get the S-video to work with my snazzy new switch box. I plugged every combination of composite and S-video cables into the back of the TV, and it would always black out the picture for at least one of my systems. So, I gave up and went composite on my poor Jaggie.

Thanks for the response! At least, now I know.

Archived