IGNORED

Lode Runner for Atari 7800

sixersfan105

I wrote this years ago: http://1.buric.co/lodehax.dsk.gz- it contains a level editor in BASIC. (Yes, I know the original disk ALSO had a level editor.)

Each level takes one sector, and here are the ripped sectors: http://3.buric.co/lrlvl.zip(151 is empty and 152-154 are the demo levels).

What system is it for? I dont have any emulators currently.

I used this to play through all the Lode Runner and Championship levels last year. Some of the levels are brutal and I cant imagine anyone could play through the whole game on "1 credit" so to speak.

https://archive.org/details/mac_Lode_Runner

Would be a good edition to the 7800 library - esp if you could create your own levels.

• Like 1

GOD I LOVED THIS GAME! My son as well. Really want this on Intellivision!!!!!!!

Digging the enthusiasm! If only I knew the slightest thing about programming...

Lode Runner: The Legend Returns is probably my all-time favorite game. Came out in 94 for PC, Mac, PS1 and Saturn. I get that the 7800 couldnt match all of its features, but it could incorporate some of them, I am sure.

• 4 years later...

Lode_Runner.jpg

Apparently, this is what the 7800 version would have looked like. However, I don't know if this is really for the 7800. It could just be a screenshot of the Atari 8-Bit port or something.

Personally, I never cared much for the stick people graphics of the original, and the game could take greater advantage of the 7800's graphical capabilities. Maybe I'll try redrawing the Hudson Soft version's sprites later.

Edited by Jaden (JRH)

12 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Lode_Runner.jpg

Apparently, this is what the 7800 version would have looked like. However, I don't know if this is really for the 7800. It could just be a screenshot of the Atari 8-Bit port or something.

Personally, I never cared much for the stick people graphics of the original, and the game could take greater advantage of the 7800's graphical capabilities. Maybe I'll try redrawing the Hudson Soft version's sprites later.

Yikes, yeah, that doesn't look optimized for the 7800 at all. Yeah that's what I was thinking, something between the original and the updated version ("Lode Runner: The Legend Returns") that came out in 1994. The NES version (was that by Hudson Soft?) is a little too "cutesy" imo but I'm with you on doing away with the stick people. In Legend Returns, the bad guys are cannibal monks who eat you lol.   

13 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Lode_Runner.jpg

That just looks like a screen shot from the Apple ][ version.

Anyways, maybe make it look something like the Atari ST version by Loriciel? They had different tile sets every 10 levels or so which was pretty neat. Though definitely don't use their "lock in" to a space where you couldn't be midstep between tiles, because that felt quite off.

Loriciel.png

Edited by Zolaerla
Added screen shot
  • Like 1

@Zolaerla thanks for sharing info about the Atari ST version! I hadn't heard of this one (I don't know much about the ST scene) and upon review of some YouTube videos, it looks as thought it incorporates some elements of The Legend Returns ('94) that have referenced a bunch, including changing tile sets as you advance and the coins/gold changing depending on the level, too. Not sure exactly what you mean by "lock in" but it doesn't sound good!

1 hour ago, sixersfan105 said:

@Zolaerla thanks for sharing info about the Atari ST version! I hadn't heard of this one (I don't know much about the ST scene) and upon review of some YouTube videos, it looks as thought it incorporates some elements of The Legend Returns ('94) that have referenced a bunch, including changing tile sets as you advance and the coins/gold changing depending on the level, too. Not sure exactly what you mean by "lock in" but it doesn't sound good!

I did a video a while back on Lode Runner, including briefly talking about every version I could find:

A few versions only let you be in complete spaces when moving, such as the Atari ST version. You could not stand between spaces when stopping.

• Like 1

I love Lode Runner on the Atari ST, it preserves the gameplay and charismatic sprites of the original version but adds colorful background graphics. On 7800 it would be possible to make an almost pixel perfect port, using the 320B mode for some levels and the 320C mode for other levels, based on the graphics to be replicated.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2017 at 11:24 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Is anybody up to the task of creating a version of Lode Runner for the 7800? I understand it did appear in some promotional materials back in the day but no known prototypes exist. Perhaps a port incorporating some of the Atari 8-bit and XE(GS) versions? Frankly, the two button aspect of the 7800 controller would work great with left and right blasting.

Are there other Lode Runner fans out there that would like to see this come to fruition? Hope so!

This would be cool!

• Thanks 1

The arcade version may be worth looking at, too.  Released in 1984, it would likely work well with the 7800's graphics capabilities.  There's even a little room for improvement on it in that regard, and the three sequels are also ripe for porting.  It may even be possible for one game engine to run all four.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2018 at 10:59 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Oh cool! Im envisioning a cross between the Apple II version and Lode Runner: The Legend Returns. Think it could really be something on the 7800!

And it could use 320 mode so it can do artifacting like the origonal AII but also have a non-artifacting mode for those who have modded theirs for something other than composite.

• Like 1