IGNORED

2600 power/cart problem

Brad

Hi,

I just picked up an Atari 2600 at good ol' Value Village last week, and it works great aside from a slight power problem. At the back where the adapter plugs in, the connection must be held (or taped) "up" in order to get power to the console.

It looks as though the internal connection is loose, I'm just wondering if it's something that a newbie like myself can fix? It's not bothersome enough to send out for repair.

Also, one of the games I picked up intermittently works -- when I shake it, it sounds like something is loose inside. Are carts like these repairable, or are they a lost cause?

Thanks,

Brad

It sounds like the only way you could fix that problem would be to take apart the 2600 and inspect the part that is not working..in this case..the port where the power plug tip connects to. You could do this OR you could look around for another cheap 2600.

Also, one of the games I picked up intermittently works -- when I shake it, it sounds like something is loose inside. Are carts like these repairable, or are they a lost cause?

This is usually not a problem as sometimes the ROMs get loose over time. However, if you get nothing but a blank screen from a certain game, then you will know that it's dead. A loose ROM doesn't always mean that the game is broken.

By the way, you're the 4th Brad to post on AtariAge..LOL..m'name is also Brad.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info!

BTW, are there any sites out there that have a kind of step-by-step guide (with pics?) describing how to repair common console problems, or joysticks and paddles?

I'm in the midst of exploring this site, so I may yet stumble across this info.

Brad

Thanks for the info!

BTW, are there any sites out there that have a kind of step-by-step guide (with pics?) describing how to repair common console problems, or joysticks and paddles?

I'm in the midst of exploring this site, so I may yet stumble across this info.

Brad

welcome to AA brad.. the donuts and coffee are to the back of the room....

AHHAHHAHAHA!

allright.. sorry

step by step with pictures would be nice.. but there are a lot of how to guides around.. a lot of links and what not..

most things are fairly common sence.. the biggest step by step guides around here will be the AV mods.. basicly, they teach you how to extract a composite signal from the unit instead of useing the RF cable and switch box.. rather usefull..

as for your power problem.. the spring for the negitive side of your power plug is worn.. it helps hold the plug in place.. so that would explain having to keep the plug taped in to maintain contact.

a simple fix.. if possible would be to open up the 2600 look at the power plug, find the little spring looking doohicky in there, and use something that will fit in there to bend that spring in closer to the middle..

if that doesnt work..

desolder the contacts of the power plug and take it to radioshack and find the closest match.. and replace it.

other people on these forums will probably help you with actuall part numbers, or you could make up your own little modification to make the same thing happen with what you can find.. the power plug is basicly just a mono type mini phono jack.

the cart in question is probably fine.. just dirty.. clean the contacts before you do anything else.. the shaking could be a lot of things.. I dont know what type of cart it is.. if its an original atari cart.. it could be one of the kind that has a spring loaded dust cover inside it.. and that mechinism is whats doing the rattaling..

but if its working intermittidly.. that sounds like more of a case of the contacts simply being dirty than anything else

I use a VCR cleaning kit.. yeah..from radio shack.. the kit comes with a jar of cleaning solution and five cleaning wands.. little right angle plastic sticks with chamoise material wrapped around the end.. you soak the cleaning end with the cleaning solution and rub the contacts of the carts with these sticks untill clean.. badda bing badda bomb..clean atari carts

hope that helps

I've always found that cotton swaps and rubbing alcohol work fine for cleaning cart contacts. I do advise using the 99% alchohol, not that lousy 70% garbage that seems so common these days. Too much water, takes too long to dry.

Chad

Archived