IGNORED

Thoughts on 65XE?

Xebec

I have a small pile of 800XL's, 3 x 800s, 2 x 1200XLs, a 130XE, and a 65XE..

I'd like others thoughts on what to do with the 65XE. My 65XE has a keyboard that needs repair, probably has flaky RAM (system would halt at a black screen after power on.. then after inserting/removing a Star Raiders cartridge now it magically boots all the way to BASIC).

The motherboard is the revision without the ECI (Cart only), and only 8 ram chips (no "available" spots on the PCB), so no easy path to upgrade the RAM.

I've been cleaning and repairing every 8-bit that I have; I ultimately plan to carefully store my 8-bit collection but keep 1 (or 2) 800XL's out as daily drivers. I have no interest in the 5200 or XEGS. Should I keep the 65XE or just sell it? Why? The 65XE seems like the runt of the bunch? :)

EDIT: Should I just keep it as parts for my 130XE? :)

John

Edited by Xebec

Keep it as parts. It's the most poorly- and cheaply-made 64K Atari computer built, generally speaking, so unless you have an emotional attachment to it for some particular reason, and given that you have other options with the same basic configuration (800XLs, 1200XLs), plus an XE with more stock ram to begin with, it's arguable that the "highest and best use" for it is to sacrifice so that other machines may live. :)

• Like 2

Keep it as parts. It's the most poorly- and cheaply-made 64K Atari computer built, generally speaking, so unless you have an emotional attachment to it for some particular reason, and given that you have other options with the same basic configuration (800XLs, 1200XLs), plus an XE with more stock ram to begin with, it's arguable that the "highest and best use" for it is to sacrifice so that other machines may live. :)

Thanks - Kinda wanted to hear it before committing to it :)

• Like 1

Somewhere, I have a 130XE with a 3 in one OS chip, 320K ram from ICD.

I also have an ICD expansion board for it that plugs right into the 130XE and allows hard drives and parallel printers to be used.

Works great with Sparta-Dos cart! Which I don't have any more.

When I find everything, I will test it and then post it on Atari Age for sale!

I don't know why, but I love the 65XE. The PAL versions though with ECI and 64 KB 130XE pcb's.

When I put 65XE 800XE and 130XE in a line on my desk... I find the 65XE the prettiest. Probably because I find the 65XE badge cooler because of 4 characters in stead of 5 (800XE/130XE). Still... I find 800XE cooler than 130XE. For some reason I find the 130XE badge not as cool as the other badges....

I don't know why, but I love the 65XE. The PAL versions though with ECI and 64 KB 130XE pcb's.

When I put 65XE 800XE and 130XE in a line on my desk... I find the 65XE the prettiest. Probably because I find the 65XE badge cooler because of 4 characters in stead of 5 (800XE/130XE). Still... I find 800XE cooler than 130XE. For some reason I find the 130XE badge not as cool as the other badges....

I do think I'd have a warmer feeling about my 65XE if it had that half-populated 130XE board with ECI :).. I do admit the XE's look very sharp.. (I also really like the look of the 520STm).. Are there any keyboard upgrades to give a better feel?

My opinion about the coolest case changes as fast as fashion. Most of the time I find the XL range the best looking equipment... but from time to time I love the XE looks better. To be very honest deep in my heart I find the Atari 400 has the most fabulous looks but ok....

I have been a heavy ST user too in the past and I absolutely love the smaller XE case with 'ST' look.

The only downside of the different designs (400/800, XL, XE) is that the peripherals do not match so well in design. I find an XE with a 1050 really ugly... Strange enough fits the XF551 better to an 800XL although it is still not great. An Atari 850 fits pretty nice to my 800XL although that fits the best to my 400 and 800... lol better get and keep it ALL!!!

I was a Commodore 64 kid originally. Then acquired Atari STe and now I just love the 65xe. Particularily the case. It's like I'm living in alternate version of history.

:)

Love this comment - I picked up an Amiga 500 and 1200 over the last few years.. and that's the same exact feeling I got using those platforms. The 500 as sort of a "what if I went there instead of the ST?". I went from the ST to the PC around late 89-early 1990 (switched my BBS and then later just stopped playing with ST software), the Amiga would have kept me on platform for at least 4-5 more years given there was a viable upgrade path..

Like some others I really like the look of the XE the most.. (and the 520STm) but .. I'm also a keyboard snob so every time I "touch" the XE my like quickly goes away :)

Edited by Xebec
  • Like 1

I do think I'd have a warmer feeling about my 65XE if it had that half-populated 130XE board with ECI :).. I do admit the XE's look very sharp.. (I also really like the look of the 520STm).. Are there any keyboard upgrades to give a better feel?

Yes, Best has a nice keyboard upgrade for the XEs. It's good, but nothing even comes close to a Mitsumi (some 800, and all 1200XL, 1400Xl,, 1450XLD).

Yes, Best has a nice keyboard upgrade for the XEs. It's good, but nothing even comes close to a Mitsumi (some 800, and all 1200XL, 1400Xl,, 1450XLD).

Hmm I wasn't aware of that.. It looks like you remove the mylar to install these? After replacing the 1200XL mylar i'm curious how robust the XE Mylar is..