IGNORED

Use USB Gamepad on Atari 2600?

glassjester

That's great news; thanks for the information!

I am considering trying it out with one of these wireless Logitech controllers.

controle-pc-gamepad-f710-logitech-photo8

Yes, you can use the TOM rev2 to play joystick games with your wireless Logitech 710 or rumblepad on the 2600. Just played defender on the 2600 and joust on the 7800 and it worked pretty sweet playing on the 2600 and 7800 with a gamepad. You may have to roll your firmware back to version 3 for the wireless 710, possibly the rumblepad. I tried scramble and commando on the 7800 and realized that you can only use one fire button, so no 2-button games. :( There ma​y be a way to fix this, as the not-so-clear manual says you can use fire 1 and fire 2, but I haven't fiddled with it much. Maybe it is in mouse mode or needs to be set to default or something.

I saw this thing on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-Rev2-Best-adapter-for-Amiga-Atari-ST-C64-C128-Mouse-Joystick-Gamepad-/231881903929

I sent a message to the seller asking if it would work with the 2600, and he said, "probably."

What do you think?

I'm thinking it could be a good wireless solution for the 2600, if it works with wireless usb gamepads. But I don't know... it seems a little weird.

You could probably ask this lady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU1cg9D2B-0&spfreload=5

I saw this video a few days ago. She probably has an Atari.

Had to take it out of its case to get it to connect to the extension cord (this is Tom Rev 2 model btw) but it works on a 7800. This is a generic PSX to USB adapter I bought at RadioShack like 10 years ago. f91a8faf410dcf8bab8c40b8aaf08d6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Robbyvgb, were you able to play two button games with the playstation controller. Any memory of what they were? I could not figure out how the heck to get a second fire button to work on 2-button games on the 7800 with the TOM2 with a Logitech F310 and F710. Maybe there are only certain games it works on, Maybe it needs a different firmware revision, maybe it works with PlayStation controller.Also, on the 2600 with the Logitech wireless F710, I could not get the guy to jump in pitfall...fire button did not work, but worked for defender and asteroids and worked with pitfall using wired F310. Strangely glitchy.

Update: PlayStation 2 controller does not give two button support with TOM rev2 on 7800 either. TOM rev2 appears to be limited to one button support.

• 2 weeks later...

Robbyvgb, were you able to play two button games with the playstation controller. Any memory of what they were? I could not figure out how the heck to get a second fire button to work on 2-button games on the 7800 with the TOM2 with a Logitech F310 and F710. Maybe there are only certain games it works on, Maybe it needs a different firmware revision, maybe it works with PlayStation controller.Also, on the 2600 with the Logitech wireless F710, I could not get the guy to jump in pitfall...fire button did not work, but worked for defender and asteroids and worked with pitfall using wired F310. Strangely glitchy.

Update: PlayStation 2 controller does not give two button support with TOM rev2 on 7800 either. TOM rev2 appears to be limited to one button support.

No sorry what I meant was that I was able to use the adapter on a 7800 for 2600 games. Never tried two button 7800 games.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

No sorry what I meant was that I was able to use the adapter on a 7800 for 2600 games. Never tried two button 7800 games.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

I tried this out and no, second fire doesn't work. It says it has this support in the manual, but must only be for the supported computers (ST, TT, Amiga).

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=54&zenid=50k2992goi5jnjnm6bivk49r17

I use playstation 1 x controllers (don't have any ps2 controllers to test) with this adapter. Works on 5200 with masterplay clone. Analog thumb sticks work awesome on pacman. Works on 2600 also.

And for 2 button games on 7800 just get a seagull 78 adapter.

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=54&zenid=50k2992goi5jnjnm6bivk49r17

I use playstation 1 x controllers (don't have any ps2 controllers to test) with this adapter. Works on 5200 with masterplay clone. Analog thumb sticks work awesome on pacman. Works on 2600 also.

I wonder what would happen if I put the Seagull 78 between the TOM rev2 and the Atari 7800 with the Logitech gamepad? Fry all four? I could try the ultimate daisy-chain: PS controller, PS to USB adapter, the TOM rev2, the Seagul 78 and finally the 7800.

BTW, ever tried Pitfall, Donkey Kong and/or Joust with the tototek adapter. I would be interested to know if it has the same fire plus direction asynchrony as the TOM rev2. When you have to hit the fire and hit left or right button to jump left or right from a stand-still or, in the case of Joust, change directions while flapping, you sometimes jump straight up or move without jumping (e.g., into the alligator pit).

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the Logitech F310 with the Seagull 78 and TOM rev 2 adapter and I was able to have two button control!!! Played both Scramble and Bentley Bear in two button mode with a game pad.

I am too afraid to try it on the Colecovision, because of the fragile chips.

Works great on my light sixer with the same setup. And you can use the analog setting, although I'm not sure if you'd want to.

I did have some trouble with the XEGS surprisingly, some games didn't register the fire button.

I'd be curious to see what other USB controllers work with this, given the the third party xbox 360 controller does not.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Xbox 360 and XBone controllers require XInput not generally supported on these adapters, you have to be able to set the controller to DirectInput. I think you can use xdirectinput on PCs because of USBX support of HID interface.

The wireless Logitech F710 gamepad also has two button support with the Seagull 78 and TOM rev2 on the 7800. Unfortunately on the F310 and F710 and probably also the playstation controller if it works, all have the rapid-fire 1 button as the left trigger, same side as the Dpad and working stick. rapid-fire 2 is the right side trigger. It would be nice if they could have arranged it to be the right hand trigger and right back buttonso you could use your right index and middle finger while leaving your left hand free for the Dpad or left stick. Still cool, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright - so for anyone interested:

The Raphnet SNES-to-2600 adapter works with the 8Bitdo SNES Retro Receiver on my 4-switch Atari 2600, but NOT on the Light Sixer.

The Tom Rev 2 USB - 2600 adapter works on both machines, but does not recognize the Logitech F710 wireless gamepad... which is definitely bad news for me, since the whole reason I bought the adapter was to be able to use a wireless controller. Also, I bought the F710 because the compatibility list on the Tom Rev 2 website specifically states that it works with that controller. So... boo on Tom Rev 2 for the false advertising.

But at least I can now play my (4-switch) Atari with a whole bunch of bluetooth controllers that work with the Retro Receiver. Now I REALLY wish 8bitdo would put out a bluetooth controller that looks like the original Atari joystick.

The wireless Logitech F710 gamepad also has two button support with the Seagull 78 and TOM rev2 on the 7800. Unfortunately on the F310 and F710 and probably also the playstation controller if it works, all have the rapid-fire 1 button as the left trigger, same side as the Dpad and working stick. rapid-fire 2 is the right side trigger. It would be nice if they could have arranged it to be the right hand trigger and right back buttonso you could use your right index and middle finger while leaving your left hand free for the Dpad or left stick. Still cool, though.

You got the Tom rev2 to work with the F710?

You got the Tom rev2 to work with the F710?

Yes. I had to roll back the firmware version to version 3. You could try version 4 first. Although mine does not connect to online update anymore, but I am unsure if the rollback caused it, since I also tried plugging in serial mice with adapters that crashed the thing and I had to do a factory reset, which seems like a more likely cause. Leech on the 8-bit forum also did a rollback so ill try to see if he had any issues from it.

But this adapter is for Mega-Drive and Master-System Consoles and the PIN-Layout of these two consoles is slightly different to Atari/Commodore controllers (the +5V thing on a certain PIN). As i said before in this thread, i would not risk to damage something on the Atari-2600 because of using an adapter which dont has the correct PIN-Layout. Don`t know how sensitive the Atari-2600 react to this, but the C64 and especially his CIA-chip can be killed by this.

Look here, there you can see the differences of all the systems that use DB9-connector:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/DB9-Joystick

Yes. I had to roll back the firmware version to version 3. You could try version 4 first. Although mine does not connect to online update anymore, but I am unsure if the rollback caused it, since I also tried plugging in serial mice with adapters that crashed the thing and I had to do a factory reset, which seems like a more likely cause. Leech on the 8-bit forum also did a rollback so ill try to see if he had any issues from it.

Blech, I can't connect either. Bummer.

Leech just tried it and the updater worked fine for him, so the rollback is not an issue. No idea why you or I can't connect. I talked with electronica4you and they have no idea. All they could suggest was firewalls and antivirus.

And I wish they would let you just download everything and do it yourself rather than having to do upgrades or rollbacks over the internet. Strange having no website and what if they go out of business and you want to change your firmware?

I even tried turning off my anti-virus. Still didn't work!

What are you seeing? This is what I see: Before attaching the TOM rev2 to the USB cable, fields in the updater app are all empty, Connect and Disconnect buttons at the bottom are greyed out and there is a red word "disconnected" in the lower left corner. I plug in the TOM rev2 and its red light blinks rapidly as it is supposed to, but absolutely nothing changes on the app. The connect button should become "clickable" or it should go directly to connected and say "connected" in lower left corner and one or more choices should be available in the top two field in pull down menus, but none of this happens anymore. It did the first week or two.

What are you seeing? This is what I see: Before attaching the TOM rev2 to the USB cable, fields in the updater app are all empty, Connect and Disconnect buttons at the bottom are greyed out and there is a red word "disconnected" in the lower left corner. I plug in the TOM rev2 and its red light blinks rapidly as it is supposed to, but absolutely nothing changes on the app. The connect button should become "clickable" or it should go directly to connected and say "connected" in lower left corner and one or more choices should be available in the top two field in pull down menus, but none of this happens anymore. It did the first week or two.

When I plug in the Tom Rev2, it shows up in one of the fields near the top of the updater. "Connect" becomes clickable, but when I click it, it just says "connecting" in orange letters, at the bottom of the app. It goes nowhere from there; never actually connects.

When I plug in the Tom Rev2, it shows up in one of the fields near the top of the updater. "Connect" becomes clickable, but when I click it, it just says "connecting" in orange letters, at the bottom of the app. It goes nowhere from there; never actually connects.

You are getting one step closer than me. Very strange neither of us can get the updater to work even after the anti-virus and firewall are turned off. I am curious if this has something to do with the PCB "fix" that happened a month or so ago when they release firmware version 5. Maybe when they fixed one thing, something else went haywire. Or it may be just faulty hardware. I wonder if there are any mysterious things running in the PC background that block it. May have nothing to do with my firmware crashing.

You are getting one step closer than me. Very strange neither of us can get the updater to work even after the anti-virus and firewall are turned off. I am curious if this has something to do with the PCB "fix" that happened a month or so ago when they release firmware version 5. Maybe when they fixed one thing, something else went haywire. Or it may be just faulty hardware. I wonder if there are any mysterious things running in the PC background that block it. May have nothing to do with my firmware crashing.

I guess I'll have to try it on other people's computers, until it works.

I guess I'll have to try it on other people's computers, until it works.

Here's the latest from electronica4you on the lack of connection. Their response seems a bit abbreviated and strange, so I try to figure it out in my response but that seems odd as well. Can anyone make sense of this?

electronica4you:

Swami, currently the upgrade don't work on all windows, we will in future about this problem. Currently you can try to use it on other computer... or try in this way: 1) run the application 2) connect adapter in but before putting in please connect any usb pad and press and hold first button (fire 1) and move in left direction. Both must be holded before connecting to usb adapter. This way adapter goes directly to upgrade option...

[[it sounds like he is saying to have a controller plugged into the usb port of the TOM while plugging the TOM into the usb port of the PC, but that can't be right since the TOM has only one usb port.]]

My response:

I plug the usb pad into the TOM rev2, then plug the TOM into the atari and hold the button and direction and then unplug it from the atari and then plug the TOM into the PCs USB port?