IGNORED

Rich Goober pays $30100.44 for sealed Super Mario Bros

The sticker seal is important to the most hard core of collectors because in the very early days of the NES (black box stuff) Nintendo was more in line with the far less thieving honor system of Japanese retail -- no shrink wrap. You'd go to the store, the back hang tab would either be popped and hung on a post, or kept on the box and just left in a slot, and the only thing keeping that game securely new and fresh was a little black sticker with Nintendo inked in another color on it. That's it, one little nickel(if I recall right) sized sticker and nothing else.

That's why some of those buyers go insane if you can find not only a sticker but a tab on the back that hasn't been punched in the least bit. It's like a cherry virgin NES game from 1985/earlier 1986 if you locate that stuff and they'll want to grab that up so no one accidentally or intentionally pops that cherry. ;)

Thanks for explaning that. So the sticker seal goes on the box lid right where it opens and in this instance is underneath the shrink wrap. The assinine thing about the hole punch on the hangtab was most retailers did punch out the hangtab and use it on the pegs. Sometimes the dumbest stuff fetches stupid high price, like an NTSC UPC sticker on a PAL Sonic SMS CIB.

I still don't get paying one grand much less 30 grand for any game. Go buy a new Mustang or something with that kind of cash.

I don't go out of my way to procure sealed stuff but I got a "case fresh" Wario's Woods for $60 in 2016 after some guy had 10 of them for sale on eBay. So there's my token sealed NES game. I stuck it in an acrylic case along with a fresh Mario Pinball Land GBA I bought for my fiance in 2004 for Christmas but never gave her due to apparent disinterest in games. It sat in a drawer for 12 years before I got a case for it; luckily no dents.

• Like 1

Again, if paid for, I assume the buyer is fairly wealthy. For us, spending money on hobbies probably runs into a few hundred every now and then. For the wealthy to spend thousands or tens of thousands of disposable income on their hobbies is not out of the question. It is a question of their disposable income being proportional to their actual income. I would assume the very wealthy don't spend $30 grand on a car, they would spend hundreds of thousands on a high end sports car. Everyone is looking at this through the lens of their own income and experience but I doubt this buyer only makes $50,000 a year.

I help build houses for very wealthy individuals and for rich boys when it comes to their toys, money is no object. If you have the means and the desire, this is the result. The incredulity over it confuses me.

• Like 2

I help build houses for very wealthy individuals and for rich boys when it comes to their toys, money is no object. If you have the means and the desire, this is the result. The incredulity over it confuses me.

No doubt. If I had millions in the bank, I'd probably buy this sealed Mario, VGA the sucker, then do an unboxing video on Youtube just for the LOLs. :P

Not my vid but...

Here's one for the rich fanbois out there, a 24k gold plated Analogue NT...

• Like 2

I personally do not see the sticker seal on this item. You can see what a sticker seal is in the pic below and I do not see it on this Mario. I am not sure they actually did a sticker seal and shrink wrap h-seam together to be honest. In my opinion the reason why this sold for so much is because it is a round seal "Nintendo Seal Of Quality" and not an oval. Round seal Mario has always been much higher on selling. Plus it has the hang tab, good y-folds, and the corners do not appear to be open.

Picture266.jpg

• Like 2

LOL here they come.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Super-Mario-Brothers-Bros-NES-sealed-Black-Box-Black-Nintendo-Seal-RARE-VGA-/332324882207?hash=item4d601b471f:g:-4EAAOSwvp5ZfTbR

I like this part of his description.

"A ungraded copy of this game just sold for 30,000+ although it was in better condition."

Yours has no grade it is so bad.

He is going to be VERY sad when this barely gets $500.

OHHH it gets better. He just purchased it for $308.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mario-Brothers-NES-sealed-graded-NG-/172781854397?hash=item283a99debd%3Ag%3AfRcAAOSwIhxZalt4&nma=true&si=qDkv%252BIQ03ENZO%252FkNkyxDHGR2kBw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 3

LOL here they come.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Super-Mario-Brothers-Bros-NES-sealed-Black-Box-Black-Nintendo-Seal-RARE-VGA-/332324882207?hash=item4d601b471f:g:-4EAAOSwvp5ZfTbR

I like this part of his description.

"A ungraded copy of this game just sold for 30,000+ although it was in better condition."

Yours has no grade it is so bad.

He is going to be VERY sad when this barely gets $500.

OHHH it gets better. He just purchased it for $308.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mario-Brothers-NES-sealed-graded-NG-/172781854397?hash=item283a99debd%3Ag%3AfRcAAOSwIhxZalt4&nma=true&si=qDkv%2BIQ03ENZO%2FkNkyxDHGR2kBw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nope the game is already up to $1600 plus the guy who bought the 30k smb also bought kid icarus for 11k for a total of 41000. I thought the kid icarus would sell for about $400 boy was I wrong.

• Like 1

I never knew shrink wrap was so expensive!

Yeah that's one reason I stopped collecting sealed. Plus back about 8 years ago they were resealing extremely well. They had the h-seam faked and y-folds almost down perfect. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of what is sold today and graded is resealed fake shit.

The last sealed nes game I purchased was River City Ransom and it was almost prefect. The H-seam was off a bit and it took me an hour of looking at it under a 100W light to see the faint color difference on the top hinge where the crease was covered w/magic marker.

Once I opened it seeing the magic market was super easy, but f-that. Not worth buying anything sealed these days unless you trust the source and they have had it for over a decade.

• Like 1

I don't go out of my way to procure sealed stuff but I got a "case fresh" Wario's Woods for $60 in 2016 after some guy had 10 of them for sale on eBay. So there's my token sealed NES game. I stuck it in an acrylic case along with a fresh Mario Pinball Land GBA I bought for my fiance in 2004 for Christmas but never gave her due to apparent disinterest in games. It sat in a drawer for 12 years before I got a case for it; luckily no dents.

I don't much get it either. I'd like to be big enough to say it's his money, whatever, hope he enjoys it, but then there's always some consequence to other peoples actions especially when word spreads through the mass media (and outside of just gamer circles.)

A friend of mine contacted me over the weekend because he was out looking for just a few select loose NES games to round out a mini collection to keep on hand and there are consequences. He went to flea or two in his area and he found some games he wanted, but saw others and one so happened to be SMB1. The dude wanted $100 for it, it was immaculate by all intents but also loose. He asked him if the price was an error like too many zeros, and the guy said that it's not because someone paid $30000 for a sealed up version of this very game, and if a new one is worth that much even a loose one should have some considerable value. Would you want it? (Obviously not, and walked away because it also impacted every other game in the area too going up.)

Oh and I avoid sealed games too, but like you I do happen to have one, got it some years ago (7-8~) and paid slightly more than you did but got a good fresh clean looking Metroid (yellow re-release with the wicked art on the front) I shadow boxed it. I've already got my original with manual from my childhood so I kept it as an art piece. I'm beyond caring much anymore really about most of it. I went away from Nintendo greatly other than more or less Gameboy and dug back into SNK stuff and it may cost more at one time, but less in the long run which is sad comparing arcade to nintendo home stuff.

I wouldn't think you'd be able to read the label in an X-ray image. Not that I'm buying overpriced old game crap.

I preferred it when my ancient games were unpopular and cheap.

I was thinking the xray would at least show it's a cartridge inside the box and not just some vacuum sealed dog shit :lol:

• Like 1

Seriously though, that raises an interesting question. With these prices, I guarantee you someone will figure out how to do these shrinkwraps in a near perfect replication. At 30k dollars, heck even my moral compass would be tempted to try it out, haha.

I mean, these people won't even open the damn things anyway. There could be a Hershey bar in there for all anyone knows.

• Like 1

I think the x-ray would pick up a candy bar. ;) THough if you are making and resealing what appears to be 1:1 true to original probably would be best to just find an off the rack original SMB cart and shove it in there. What's a $5 game in a $30000 world? I think the x-ray could pick up some fine enough detail you'd need to relatively match an original.