IGNORED

Sega Genesis 3 heating issue...

Gamer888

I have just received the sega genesis 3. I am located in Europe but I am using a step down converter.

My PSU is made by Sega but it is not the one made for the Genesis 3.

Here is one can read of the PSU: INPUT AC100V 50/60 HZ 18VA OUTPUT DC10V 850mA

Here is one can read on the back of the genesis 3 : DC10 0.3A

How come the PSU and the system gets really hot in barely 20min of play

Thanks for any info!!Mabye my step down converter is not appropriate?

Also, can I use a EU megadrive 2 PSU for the genesis 3?

0.3 Ampres = 300 MA, so your feeding it more than 2x the input!

Also, No, to the EU MegaDrive PSu, as that has the same output as the other one (seeing as how the other one is a US/JP MDII PSu)

Edited by TheTIGuy

First, Yes, you can use the EU PS for the Genesis 2 with your Genesis 3. Doing so means you don't have to use the step down converter at all. Also, the output amperage being .850 is NOT a problem. It just means that is the maximum amperage output the PSU can supply. The console itself will only draw enough current as is required. So as long as the voltage and polarity are correct, the output amperage just needs to meet or exceed the console requirement.

I would try to use the EU PSU so you don't need the stepdown converter and go from there.

Thanks for the help...I am quite ignorant with electric but I understood enough to know that if the amperage is higher than what the system requires, it's good yet the quite heating aspect troubled me. I have ordered from a (French?) website "retro game supply" an EU PSU for the genesis 3 (and for my mark III for I have also some heating issue albeit lighter ones). I will post an update once I can test the PSUs.

Well..just because the PSU can generate more amperage than needed won't make it heat up more if the device isn't drawing that much current. Case in point..I had an overheating issue in my Sega Genesis. Turned out that my original voltage regulators were getting crazy hot but not enough to go into thermal shutdown. But hot enough to mess with the video input buffer on the VDP from the sega CD portion. I replaced the voltage regulators with 2amp output capable regulators. They run much cooler than the stock regulators ever did because they are designed to output 2amps to the system, but are only having just under 1amp drawn from them. As a result, they don't get as hot as the originals, or as hot as even newer 1amp versions would because they don't have to work as hard to provide that current.

So yes, using a PSU that outputs higher amperage than what you need isn't a problem. Just get the output voltage and polarity matched up with what the device requires and you are good to go.