IGNORED

Keyboard 'B' Key Stopped Working

Tempest

Just today the B key on my keyboard stopped working. Any idea why this might be and how to fix it? It's a later beige model keyboard if that matters.

I don't think it's dirty, because no matte how many times I hit it it never works.

I just noticed that one of the wires from the keyboard has detached from the clip thing on the motherboard they go into. I can't exactly tell what that thing is, but it looks more like a wire 'clip' or something rather than something they're soldered into. Are they actually soldered into that thing or do they just somehow clip in?

post-48993-0-46883800-1501384926_thumb.jpg

Just today the B key on my keyboard stopped working. Any idea why this might be and how to fix it? It's a later beige model keyboard if that matters.

It's great you got the troubleshooting down to a connector wire. Frankly I would have expected more based on common scan column and row.

Update: My power supply went bad, so I need to fix that before I can fix the B key.

My keyboard mech is an ALPS one (green circuit board). I can pop the key cap off and see a little key mech underneath, but I have no idea what to do from there to fix it. It looks like it has two little push tabs on either side, does this mean it can be popped out?

EDIT: ok it appears that the B key is intermittent, not broken. Not sure how to fix that. It works just fine for a while then stops for a few key presses, then works again. Any ideas?

the external power supply? I sell working ones if you decide it's not worth the effort, which power supply do you have? there were 3-4 different ones..

Greg

Not sure. IIRC it was black, didn't have the embossed TI logo, had a green 'checked' sticker, and of course that fuse thing. It seems to be working just fine without the fuse pack though.

• Like 1