IGNORED

SWORDQUEST comic series

whisperingloon

I know there are some who have been disappointed that the SWORDQUEST comic series from Dynamite has not been the Airworld continuation of the SWORDQUEST series from the original game releases.

I'm one of them.

The SWORD QUEST comic from Dynamite has had three issues released now. A short #0 and then #1 and 2 of the regular series. The story is this: in the modern day,a man who played the SwordQuest games as a kid decides he wants to break into a gaming expo and steal the legendary sword that was to have been the prize in the cancelled contest.

And in issue 0 and 1, we get to know Paul and his two friends who used to play with him as he considers this really bad idea. And like Centipede, until this point it's been a story inspired by the video game without BEING the video game. Someone who played the ACTUAL game in his past is getting ready to embark on a SWORD QUEST of his own.

So while I was disappointed that it wasn't a continuation of the series, I was okay with the premise and have been buying the issues.

So this week issue #2 came out.

And now I want to be careful not to spoil. So if you are already planning to read the comic, stop reading here, because I'm about to say something that might convince people disappointed as I described above to go ahead and pick it up. It's light spoilers, the kind of thing I would absolutely mention in a review, but it's also the kind of thing I was very happy to discover without any foreknowledge.

While this comic is not the missing Airworld story,in actuality issue #2 reveals that there just might be some supernatural shenanigans going on, and the story of SWORDQUEST might be real in the context of this new comic series. Meaning it's possible that the story of Airworld, and or at least closure for the SWORDQUEST story, could be given in this series after all.

The first two issues featured absolutely ZERO high fantasy, but this one spends half the issue there. Whether it's a reality in this story -- and whether it's an actual continuation -- or not remains to be seen.

I think that when all is said and done with this mini-series, the original SWORDQUEST volume and this new SWORDQUEST collected edition might make for a good read . . . based on potential that I didn't know was there until reading this issue.

• Like 2

I know there are some who have been disappointed that the SWORDQUEST comic series from Dynamite has not been the Airworld continuation of the SWORDQUEST series from the original game releases.

I'm one of them.

There is a graphic novel of SwordQuest coming out soon with the old comic versions, so I am hoping they won't drop the ball with it and will add some kind of closure or extras about the AirWorld and not just a reprint.

I had a bad feeling when the guy with the man bun showed up in the previous issue. This issue just confirmed that bad feeling. They should've just stuck to the heist premise but instead they tried to shoehorn in a bunch of cheesy fantasy malarkey. Rulero? Really? Oh, and he looks like Peter. I'd say they were satirizing bad fantasy tropes, but it isn't funny.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

Thanks for this!

I was interested to see how the new comics followed upon the original story, but not sufficiently interested to actually buy the comics. The above synopsis perfectly meets my needs. :)

• 1 month later...

The new issue of Paper Girls (#16) has a 4-page Asteroids sequence that isn't even really about the Atari but manages to get more right than all 4 issues of Swordquest combined.

It's a good read. Sort of Stranger Things but with time travel instead of parallel dimensions.

• Like 1