IGNORED

Anyone Know what this is?

DavidMil

I just received a 5200 that I bought on ebay (for parts). It looks like someone without

much soldering skill tried to do some sort of modification. I'm not that familiar with 5200

upgrades and I have no idea what this person was trying to do. Some looks very

professional (the trace cut under the board), and some looks very amateurish (the wires

used and the sloppy soldering on them).

Here's what I see:

1st. I see that the trace between C61 and the power in has been cut and a diode

installed between them. (see picture 1)

2nd. I see pin 11 of the GTIA chip has been raised. (see picture 2)

3rd. I see a white wire connecting pin 3 of chip A27 to the raised pin 11 of chip A15

(see picture 3)

4th. I see a blue wire connecting pins 1 and 2 of chip A27 to pin 3 of A2 (CPU)

note that the pins 1 and 2 on A27 are connected buy a solder bridge. (see

picture 3)

Whatever this mod is supposed to do, it vaporized some of R53 so it's no wonder that

the 5200 won't power up. Someone on the 5200 sight had suggested that it was a factory

modification. The trace cut and the diode install may have been, but I've never seen

stranded wire with such heavy insulation used for factory mods. Does anyone have any

idea what this mod was all about?

Thanks,

DavidMil

post-47264-0-39820900-1502058776_thumb.jpg

post-47264-0-57880200-1502058791_thumb.jpg

post-47264-0-97261500-1502058830_thumb.jpg

Probably because no one in the 5200 Forum (which is slow, really) had any kind of answer after 17 hours. :P

Ding! Ding! Ding! That is the correct answer! Tell the man what he won! An all expense paid trip to...

The Bathroom! Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 dollars.

Sorry, I think I may have had too much to drink tonight. I know I have cause I need to go now. Later...

DavidMil

• Like 1

That's some strange mod, the diode looks completely out of place, also the left leg looks like a dry joint anyway. The mess that is the bridge underneath the 74LS00 also looks dry, as for the lifted leg??????????????????????

Methinks he got a diagram from someone and got it wrong, I don't know if there were any different PCB's for the 5200 but I'd bet there was and he's done this mod on the wrong PCB??

The lifted leg just flabbergasts me, I'd understand if it was taking or giving a feed to elsewhere but just lifting it, how electronically can that help?

(Take in to account that my electronics is low and rusty.)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

That's some strange mod, the diode looks completely out of place, also the left leg looks like a dry joint anyway. The mess that is the bridge underneath the 74LS00 also looks dry, as for the lifted leg??????????????????????

Methinks he got a diagram from someone and got it wrong, I don't know if there were any different PCB's for the 5200 but I'd bet there was and he's done this mod on the wrong PCB??

First, let me apologize to everyone for that last post. My wife found a wine made from strawberries (which I really like) and she and I drank the whole bottle.

Well, mostly it was me, she did have one glass. Anyway, I believe you are right Mclaneinc. I think someone was trying to do a four port mod on this two port

motherboard. I'm going to fix it back to its original condition and see what happens. I'll let ya'll (for anyone that doesn't understand proper southern USA English,

That's short for 'you all') know.

DavidMil

• Like 1

Lifted leg is trigger 3 which is the infamous cart pull interlock

mechanism on the XL/XE, I installed a switch to do exactly this

or put it right which ever I feel like doing. And this is how I can

hot plug in MAC/65 at my whim. Interlock defeated looks like

this on XL/XE.

At any rate It might be handy to NOT have it lock it up just

because you want to fiddle with carts on a 5200 - I wouldn't

know, I don't run one.

• Like 1