IGNORED

the 5200's cartridge design

tyranthraxus

First I was wondering if anyone knew why Atari made the 5200 cartridges

so much larger than the 8-bit computer ones?

Second after owning a 5200 for about 3 weeks now I have observed that

the 5200 has the most reliable cartridge slot out of all the old

systems. I almost never have a problem, its just pop it in and

play. While my 25, 87, XE, CV, NES, etc often need to be finessed in

order to work. I think only my Gameboy works more reliably than

the 5200.

Also so far I've noticed that the dust cover is extremely reliable. I

havn't had any problems with it getting stuck or becoming loose

unlike the 2600 one.

John

I think Atari made the 5200 cartridges larger because they made EVERYTHING larger on that system. After all, it was the 5200 SuperSystem. :) However, the labels are the exact same dimensions as those on 2600 carts, just rotated 90 degrees.

And yes, the 5200 cartridge slot is much more forgiving than the 2600 slot, and I've rarely seen a stuck 5200 dust cover. Now, only if the controllers were engineered as well. One thing I don't like about the 5200 carts are all the notches along the edges. They do a wonderful job of collecting dirt and are not terribly easy to clean. :)

..Al

I find the activision carts are touchy on my 2-port. I often have to re-insert them several times before they display. Anyone else find this?

Yes, Activision games don't seem to fit in the slot tightly enough for me, and I need several attempts to get them to boot up, especially my River Raid copy for some reason. I don't think 2port/4port matters in this regard. I think some day I will put my Activision games into the Pac-man common shells i still have, as this problem drives me NUTS. :x

One thing I don't like about the 5200 carts are all the notches along the edges.  They do a wonderful job of collecting dirt and are not terribly easy to clean.  :)

..Al

The easiest way to clean the gaps between the notches is with a pipe cleaner and some soapy water. Rubbing alcohol may also work, but you run the risk of staining the cart if the concentration of alcohol to water is too great. This works well because you can squeeze the pipecleaner into the groove without worrying about cotton or tissue paper ripping off. I've also taken several layers of tissue wrapped firmly around a hammered down dime and cleaned that way, but the tissue tears too easily.

I've had he same problem with the Activision carts. Seems you've got to get them in at just the right angle.

As for Atari's carts and those doors... I do have one where the door gets jammed when I take the cart out of the console - it doesn't close properly. I think it's Berzerk. I usually have to slap it a bit to get the door to close. So they're good, but not perfect.

I find the activision carts are touchy on my 2-port. I often have to re-insert them several times before they display. Anyone else find this?

yes - they seem too loose and several require multiple boot-attempts before working. i just assumed they were well worn as i never had them when new.

I've had a little trouble with non Atari manufactured carts fitting properly from time to time, but nothing a good "shove" didn't solve. Any Activision cart problems I had weren't the result of the angle they fit, but the pins being dirty. One cleaning, and they'd work fine thereafter.

Wow I am surprised to hear anyone has had problems. Every

game I have has worked on the first getgo! Perhaps I am

quite lucky as I do have a few 3rd party games. I am very impressed

with the reliability. I also havn't experienced the problems of getting

a cart to fit like I have had with other systems.

John

Archived