IGNORED

Reverse engineer the wonderswam flash card

johannesmutlu

Why reverse engineering the wonderswam flashcard you may ask.

Well because eventrough it contains an sd card slot,but it's only used for updating the firmware while the usb input is used to install a limited amount of roms on it.

But ,if we could just rewire those wires the other way around,we can install and loads roms on the sd card instead.

Because an sd card for the wonderswam will add new way's to the wonderswam(color, and making it complete.

There was a "Wonderwitch" though I think R.E. the hardware is not really the issue, that would instead be writing a menu loader function and putting it into the ROM... unless one plans to borrow the original menu ROM code... which if you are going to use the device to play commercial ROMs, wouldn't be much of a legal obstacle.

It looks as though Flash Masta is currently selling "Wonderswam" flash carts.

• Like 1

There was a "Wonderwitch" though I think R.E. the hardware is not really the issue, that would instead be writing a menu loader function and putting it into the ROM... unless one plans to borrow the original menu ROM code... which if you are going to use the device to play commercial ROMs, wouldn't be much of a legal obstacle.

It looks as though Flash Masta is currently selling "Wonderswam" flash carts.

Yes, that's the cart by Flavor. I might get one at some point although I think its not 100% compatible with all games yet.

Obviously this topic is is wrong section, it should be under the classic gaming section. That being said Flavor has been out of the WonderSwan flash carts, and last time I talked to him it'll be quite awhile before they start making them again. They were planning on doing a redesign WS flashcart sometime after the pi based handheld console. I have a wonder swan color, I think I turned it one once or twice, but it just sits on my desk unused. My first handheld, the Lynx, will always be first handheld love. If flavor's cart ever comes back or I come acrost a wonderwitch, I would certainly pick that up

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Speaking about the wonderswam/color,just imagine if gompai yokoi NEVER did leaved nintendo,maybe he brought the wonderswam color under nintendo’s brand name on the market and i am absolutely sure that if that’s was the case,then snes games would,ve been ported to the wonderswam with similar quality graphics &  sounds,and even if the wonderswam lacked certain capabilities of the snes such as mode 7 and 4 scrolling layer backgrounds etc,,, ,BUT they could,ve do many things trough software instead or  fake thngs like 4 background layers by using the scanline trick on those 2 background layers to fake a 4 scrolling layer background instead just to get somewhat around those limitations,just imagine ports like supermarioworld,donkeykong country1,2,3,mario kart, supermario allstars,zelda and street fighter 2 etc,,, on it,am sure it would,ve sold like hot cakes not only that but then we would,ve already had a snes experience in our hands back in 1998 or 1999,and the gba would,ve been probably never made and released at all,
Yes the gba was more powerful BUT it were eventually those games for it who sold the system, if neither nintendo nor thirth party’s did ported many of their their snes games to the gba,then the gba sales would,ve eventually slowly came to an halt because of peoples gotting disappointed,the 32bit cpu and wide screen of the gba was actually almost a gimmick as it simply had no 3D hardware builtin and nintendo never ported a N64 game to it,altrough they actually did ported yoshi story to it as a demo only as a triggering point to let people also expect N64 games for it,but nope,😟

but still, if nintendo realesed the wonderswam under their brand name trough gompai yokoi then the gameboycolor wouldn’t have existed either.

8ED5634F-2C2B-4AA3-B772-0B953B6A3D67.jpeg

Edited by johannesmutlu