IGNORED

Data East 10" Mini Arcade

Tanooki

Caught a whiff of this elsewhere, Staples of all places carries this in the future. Not in store quite yet, their website location tracker as of now has no listings in stores or for buying online either.

https://www.staples.com/Mini-Arcade-10/product_2696479

Mini Arcade (10”)

10” Collectable Mini Arcade packed full of all your favorite classic Data East Titles

• Packed with over 20 Data East titles, including Burger Time, Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja, and Karate Champ!
  • Each arcade uses artwork inspired by the original cabinets in a compact build
  • At 10 inches tall, this cabinet is a must for any retro fan and is perfect for any game room, office, or shelf!
  • Volume control and 3.5mm headphone jack to connect your headphones

Not sure what to think of this, but it is $50.

There are 20+ games though from what appears to be the whole (or them plus??) Data East arcade library.

This looks like something to really embarrass the hell out of those wimps at the Bridge Direct who went from an LCD Centipede and Q-Bert dumbed down to a VFD wannabe Frogger, Q-Bert, and Pac-Man.

IT's made by the Dreamgear people who have been making oddball mini arcades for years now with cheesy clone/homebrew games so they're really stepping up their game. I can't find anything period on a search so far that says this will sell outside of Staples, or at least it will start there for awhile.

They already sell the pixel classic which has some DE games on it too seen here: https://www.staples.com/Pixel-Classic/product_2696478

Here's a video about the pixel classic, but it also in the video Glen covers their proto of a unit like the Burgertime on Staples but is Karate Champ bodied instead:

Good on them. I hope for them all the success possible.

Oh my, I'm going to need that portable, which is already out.

Product Details

Pixel Classic

Handheld gaming device featuring 300 built-in video games, including classic, memorable Data East titles!

Packed with 300 games, featuring classic, memorable Data East titles

Features fun, 8-bit accents that classic gamers and new gamers alike will love

Volume control and 3.5mm headphone jack to connect your headphones

Powered either by 4 AAA batteries (not included) or by any micro-USB cable (not included) plugged into a USB power supply

Lemme get this straight: basically a handheld NES emulator of Data East games? 4 AAA batteries?...yikes.

...yeah, totally not interested. First, most Data East games on the NES weren't that great. They were kinda fun in the arcade, but I always looked at Data East as a 2nd rate (maybe 3rd) company. They had a few fun titles, but by and large, just not great compared to their contemporaries.

What might be fun would be a way to get it to play other emulators, maybe some MAME?...basically, get that Data East stuff off of it and play something better.

And how legal is this unit? It literally looks like a knock-off. How it got Data East branding along with NES ROMS is anyone's guess...but it seems fishy to me. And if it stinks like fish?...better get some tacos. Ok I have no idea what I was going for there. Suffice it to say, I'm not interested.

From the looks of it, you have a 10" tall setup with probably 2 dozen (says over 20) Data East games.

My error with that first post, but was there over 20 Data East games on the NES? I saw there's a smaller model they had at the trade show which was mainly why I linked that, and it would go for less money but no idea what if it went into production.

It probably is a NOAC/soc setup...so what? That's still not a bad thing. I really liked those $15-20 Q-Bert and Centipede tabletops that are like 6" tall and they had one game. This one has over 20 for a little over the price of both of those one offs. I know it's not for everyone, but there's no reason to crap all over it either before we've even seen it in action or reviewed.

This doesn't appear to be the pixel classic, it doesn't have 300 turds and 8 DE games on there, just DE games and over 20. Maybe the same core, maybe it's a cheapo arcade emulator/android setup for the price. Don't know until it's for sale, so why damn it already?

I'd like to take a look, but the Staples site is being a total PITA to me and refusing to load.

And now you do. At least the Burgertime shell. The other is a clip within that video I linked up that caused maybe some confusion. Around the 3:20~ mark you see the smaller 6-8" Karate Champ, then after she holds up the big 10" Burgertime.

Edited by Tanooki

As a 10" unit with what looks like a little metal joystick with a plastic top to it along with a few decent little buttons it could make a hell of a little Pi box, but I'd probably wait out the $50 price to a clearance or pallet sale next spring when crap like this shows up at flea markets after it warms up again. For me though I love the Centipede and Q-Bert those bridge direct cheapskates quit doing in favor of lousy VFD style knockoffs, and those 2 games were $20 each for 1 title in a 6" shell. This is 10", larger all around, has more ports and things, plus over 20 games for a $30 higher margin. I see really no fault in it at that level but higher would be asking for trouble.

Yeah I was confused at first since the video showed some handheld.

I think it looks kinda cool.. I like little cabinet toy thingys, and for 50 bucks, why not. Add it to the ol' pile :P Seems similar to but at least more substantial size-wise than say.. the "Multicade 230" (which I also picked up some time ago) which is only about 6" high.

71bCyCwVJ6L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by NE146

Hmm, I like it. That size is more like the old tabletop mini arcades of the past, which is nice. As far as price, well things aren't getting any cheaper. Seems toys are not the cheap priced things they used to be, especially if you want anything half-ways decent. I was at Toys R Us today, looking at the new MLP movie merchandise and some of the prices floored me. Good luck on Amazon too as it seems new stuff only gets sold through private sellers for the first bit until they can catch up, often at even higher prices. I say if you like it, grab it! Waiting for clearances might not be a good idea anymore if the lack of pool toys being cleared out this year is any sign.

But but but ... ergonomics, because I am not 8 inches tall.

Maybe it's made for this guy :)

"I have a friend named Dennis. Both of his parents were midgets, but he isn't a midget. He's a midget-dwarf. He's two inches tall. He's the one who poses for trophies."

Stephen Wright

Sent from my Phrenologists waiting room.