IGNORED

5200 controller question.

ATARIPITBULL

I am going to be buying a 5200 system soon and I have read some where that the controllers were known to break a lot, is this true and if so should I just buy extra controllers?

P.S. If this is true are there any other problems I should know about?

Well yeah the controllers break a lot. It's a well known fact (and the bane of my childhood.. CURSE YOU 5200!!).

80% of the problem in my opinion is that the contacts start to go, and you'll soon find yourself pressing various buttons without any effect (i.e. Start, Pause, Fire, Reset, number keys). Now personally, I've had luck with my old 5200 controllers and just opening them up and cleaning the contacts with an eraser (I WISH I had known that when I was 12). But now I think it's a relatively easy task to purchase joysticks with better contacts in them that supposedly last a long time.

BEST ELECTRONICS (check the links) I think is the place to go for parts and I believe they sell fully refurbished and functional controllers with the improved contacts/parts.

But it's up to you. Again, I have luck with just an eraser.

Having mentioned Best Electronics above I decided to check it out and found this:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52.htm

Wow.. sounds convincing enough. However it looks like it's 20-25 bucks for a controller.. but they say it lasts long. Anyone have any experience with these? If it's REALLY good maybe I'll snag some myself :>

I have said it before...and I will say it again. Go to a hobby store for electronics and find some aluminum tape in sheets used for grounding components attached to plastic and other non conductive surfaces. You can cut the tape into small squares or use a hole punch and then peel off the paper backing and apply it onto the carbon dots on the pads themselves. It may not last as long as the gold contacts but it is hella cheaper.

Actually to the longevity of it...I have one controller I did this with over 6 months ago...and it still works better than new now. Sometimes it is toooooo sensitive.

The joystick part itself can be cleaned perodically with some tuner contact cleaner and a couple twists around. That usually gets the sticks themselves back in good working order. Occassionally the pots for the joysticks have to be calibrated...but I find this a very difficult task without a PAM Diagnostic cart to assist you. Which I do not have..ugh...