IGNORED

Duke Nukem Forever -- Pre-Release Publicity

jhd

Has anyone created a website showing all of the footage, screenshots, etc. of Duke Nukem Forever while it was in development? I understand that there were all sorts of random bits and pieces that were released and/or leaked-out over the 15 year development process.

Essentially, I am interested in seeing what elements made it into the final product, and how much was abandoned along the way.

Much of this is covered on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Duke_Nukem_Forever, but it would be nice to see the examples all gathered together in one place.

I think there would be more interest in compiling such information if the finished product were less of a wet fart on arrival.

You can get a decent sense of time and place by looking at and playing other FPS games over those 15 years. Start with Duke 3D and Quake, go through Unreal and Half-Life and their sequels ...ecch it occurs to me I don't care enough about the genre to even recap it in an interesting way.

• Like 1

I got it for 5 bucks on Steam since I was a fan of the older games. It's the sort of bad that's not even interesting. I had no real desire to learn any more about it. Having gone through the wait and varying levels of excitement for so long, even the idea of reading that ARS article makes me tired.

• Like 1

I liked some of the pics and videos of early stuff, when it was still using a 3d raycasting engine, with vehicles and a more complicated engine allowing for layered levels it looked amazing, and didn't have that pesky draw distance of early polygonal 3d.

If what we got had been released about ten years earlier, it would have been accepted more openly. Its a perfectly good game, but by release it felt dated. And I'm not talking about the crude humor and sexism, people may complain about that, but that's part of dukes charm.

I still like it though, and will be playing it again when I get a new 360 (or if some uber collection pops up) but as it sits, its difficulty is random, some of the side stuff is just tedious (rolling the balls to open doors) and it really feels like a beta more than a release game. Like I said,10 years earlier it would have been considered more acceptable.

"So wrong, yet so right"

"Power armor is for pussies"

"What's this bullshit? I ain't dead"

RIP Duke nukem. Still one of my favorite fps series :(

I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed the game, but there are a few reasons for that. For one, I didn't pre-order it or buy it at launch. I bought it about 3 months later for PS3 for $10 brand new. I also went into it with the proper expectations. I was a big fan of Duke Nukem 3D and I hand't played many modern (at the time of release) FPS's, so I wasn't trying to compare it to anything. I wasn't perfect, but it was still fun. I agree 100% that it would have done much better if it had been released 10 years earlier. But ultimately, I got my $10 worth.

• 2 months later...

I have played it... I had to basically... but I didn't get very far. I had some help. I like the original Duke Nukem 3D ok, but FPS's aren't my thing at all. I am more like Sims, Little Big Planet, and then old console arcade type games. My husband (MBC) has the largest collection of Duke Nukem stuff in the world. He made an 8ft Nuke Symbol in the flooring in here (game room). He said he doesn't have everything there is to own, but has all the stuff he likes, cause I just asked. The room is primarily themed Duke Nukem.

But he says there isn't really a good compilation of all the Duke Nukem Forever media material that he is aware of... at least not in presentation. He followed Duke Nukem since the DOS Side-Scroller days (early 90's, before I knew him) and was active on the forums until a couple of years ago maybe. I know he has typed with people that worked on Duke Nukem 3D and Forever for years.

He said the best place for information is a forum called Duke4.net, which we both used to be on, then got burned out... it is kind of wild-west like there.

The game wasn't that bad, for a game that should have been released quite a few years earlier than it was. It had dumb parts, but I just played as a fighting guy and ignored the teenage bathroom humor stuff.

There are some books about Duke Nukem development and history that he has here. One large and one small. I looked at them a little... they show some of the evolution which is interesting.

Oh... and Thanatos, don't worry about hording... we have every magazine printed in English that featured Duke Nukem, like from all time periods... and everything else related to Duke Nukem... games, shirts, action figures, guides, memory cards, posters, store displays, Photo-Op Standees, statues, music CD's, etc... then there is all the custom stuff he made, weapons, RC truck (I think), and I don't even know all of it. :D

MrBlackCat