IGNORED

Name changing

Just a suggestion -

Make it impossible to change the username once people sign up. There could be a preannounced day when this would take effect so all of the pinheads that seem to change their name every other day can have one last change but then that's it.

I'm starting to find these forums confusing and tedious to wade thru to figure out if the new dumbass is the same as the old dumbass.

Just a suggestion -  

Make it impossible to change the username once people sign up.  There could be a preannounced day when this would take effect so all of the pinheads that seem to change their name every other day can have one last change but then that's it.

I'm starting to find these forums confusing and tedious to wade thru to figure out if the new dumbass is the same as the old dumbass.

I agree

I did have a talk with Albert about this in PM's at one point, and I'm sure a lot of you can guess which user(s) inspired my concern. As I recall him saying (he'll correct me if wrong) disabling the ability to change your handle more than once would only punish the abusers of the boards, not the people who legitimately don't like their old handle. I don't think he had made any decision about it one way or the other though, which is why we haven't seen an announcement.. yet. :D

It would be nice. I get confused when I see a user with 1000+ posts and don't recognize the handle. Even after the association has been made, it's usually a few weeks before I get used to it.

I wouldn't mind if the number of times someone can change their avatar was also limited. I find that equally annoying. It's cool to do once in a while, but some people change their avatars more often than they change their underwear.

how about set name changes to an admin only level, that way it wouldnt punish the good users, but WOULD keep the annoying little prick (i hope he is banned for good now btw) from trying to become someone else and act as if he didnt start all of the stupid crap he did

Another thing to consider is that some of us might eventually get bored with our names and might want to change them as well, so there should be some kind of either post or time level where we could be able to change our names if we wished. (But not every other blippin' week, of course :))

Uh, yeah I'm serious. I've never had the desire to change my screen name, so I don't know how it's done. I just figured all of these people PM'd Albert to have him change it so they could keep their post count. But now you guys say it's too easy, so what exactly do you do?

Here's a suggestion -- allow nickname changes as it is today, but attach a note about what the old nickname was for like a month's time. That way people have time to adjust to it AND know if you changed it just to be a shit under a new nickname.

Hey now, dumbass is pretty strong to say about Inky ;) j/k

Eric, you  dumbass!

I'm all sad now. Thanks Nukey. It'll take me some time to get over it....

Okay, I'm better now. :D

Eric, you  dumbass!

Obviously Inky I wasn't referring to you because I can still recognize you as InkyAtari - besides, your prose style would give you away even with a more dramatic name change. :)

I am going to remove the ability to change names. I have seen forum software that allows you to specifiy a minimum number of posts before allowing someone to change their name, but unfortunately that is not possible with this software (at least not yet). If people really want to change their name, they can always ask us privately to do so and I'm sure in nearly all cases we'd be glad to oblige. But I'm not crazy about frequent name swapping, as it definitely confuses people, and I don't want people to be able to easily hide behind a name change to conceal past behavior.

..Al

I am going to remove the ability to change names.  I have seen forum software that allows you to specifiy a minimum number of posts before allowing someone to change their name, but unfortunately that is not possible with this software (at least not yet).  If people really want to change their name, they can always ask us privately to do so and I'm sure in nearly all cases we'd be glad to oblige.  But I'm not crazy about frequent name swapping, as it definitely confuses people, and I don't want people to be able to easily hide behind a name change to conceal past behavior.  

..Al

Is there something you can do to prevent people from simply creating a new account every time they want to change their name (like what TheAvenge did?)

Is there something you can do to prevent people from simply creating a new account every time they want to change their name (like what TheAvenge did?)

Not really, all you need is a new email account and you can create a new account here. I can ban IP addresses, but many people have dynamic IP addresses so that is not always a solution. I could also force manual validation of accounts, but that would be a big timesink from our perspective, and isn't worth it given that it's not often a problem.

..Al

Eric, you  dumbass!

Obviously Inky I wasn't referring to you because I can still recognize you as InkyAtari - besides, your prose style would give you away even with a more dramatic name change. :)

WHat do you mean 'by my Prose STyle?' :D

Archived