IGNORED

Top Essential Titles for a New 2600 Collector

racketboy

Since it looks like we're just listing games we like now, irrespective of how "essential" they actually are ( :P), here's a list of some of my "underdog" titles I posted in another thread not too long ago (copied and pasted with notes germane to that topic but not necessarily this one). Hopefully you'll find it helpful. :)

Star Ship (I. liked. this. game. before. it. was. cool. :P Although I was also much younger and spazzier then... :-D )
Squeeze Box
Home Run
Night Driver
Air Raiders
Commando Raid
Space Jockey
Rescue Terra I (glad to see this got a mention earlier...got myself a nifty repro of this cart)
Guardian
Air-Sea Battle (I don't think anyone "dislikes" this cart but it always comes up in these discussions for some reason)
Fantastic Voyage
Spacemaster X-7
GORF
Secret Quest
Defender (it has its fans, but plenty of people hate it, too; I love it)
Miner 2049er (a far cry from the Atari 5200, Coleco, C64, or Apple versions, but fun; dying and starting over sucks tho)
Montezuma's Revenge
Fast Eddie
Radar Lock
Galaxian (nobody talks about Galaxian and it's baffling. Great game, even with that weird yellow border.)
Donkey Kong (is this unpopular?)
Pac-Man (bad port, fun game. It's fun. Sorry, it just is. Your shitty Christmas in 1982 doesn't change that. :P )
River Raid II
Ikari Warriors
Xenophobe
Street Racer
Video Olympics (again...is this unpopular?)
Survival Run
Communist Mutants From Space (Supercharger cassette)
Bugs
Warplock
Sub Scan
Halloween (yes, seriously)
Cross Force
Super Football
Turmoil
Cosmic Commuter
Subterranea
Burgertime (people usually think of the Intellivision, Coleco, or some other version)
Bump 'N' Jump (^ ditto)
Tapper
Mega Force
Crash Dive
Codebreaker
Brain Games
Golf
Miniature Golf
Stellar Track
Steeplechase
Football (provided there's somebody to play with)
Dolphin
Track & Field
Realsports Tennis

These are all original titles (as in, not homebrews), and there are quite a few I don't think I saw listed yet. Also remember that I posted these in a thread about "bad games that you like" or something to that effect, so opinions on some of these will vary wildly, but IMO they all have things to recommend them--definitely check out some gameplay videos of these or fire them up in an emulator. And most of them aren't too rare, so if you wanted a grab a few of these carts, it shouldn't break your bank. Rescue Terra I, Guardian, and Halloween are the only real high-dollar carts here; Miner 2049er, Subterranea, Track & Field, Cosmic Commuter, Tapper, and Montezuma's Revenge round out the mid-level in the $25-40 range; none of the rest of them should run more than $20, with the average being $5-10.

If you want to start out a little off the beaten path among these titles, I'd check out Squeeze Box, Spacemaster X-7, GORF, Fast Eddie, Radar Lock, Cross Force, Miniature Golf, and Realsports Tennis. Squeeze Box is a blast when you learn how to get up close to the wall and spam the shit out of the score counter...and the dancing demon in green high heels when you die is just bizarre :D; Spacemaster X-7 is a great, fast-paced shooter; GORF is a solid but overlooked adaptation of the multi-screen arcade game; Fast Eddie is a smooth, classic platformer from the computer side of gaming (VIC-20, Atari 800, etc); Radar Lock is like After Burner for Atari and is an amazing late-'80s release; Cross Force is a fairly unique shooter in which you hit targets by linking fire with two opposite-moving cannons on opposite sides of the screen (there's also a variation in which they move together--this one's much easier for me to wrap my head around :D); Miniature Golf is like Pong turned into a golf game--quirky and primitive as all hell, and just as much fun; Realsports Tennis is like the classic Activision Tennis but with much better graphics and sound and even ability to input players' names!

To me, there is one thing that Atari 2600 offered that no console has yet to offer - paddles games. Seriously, why do they even bother to put Breakout or Circus Atari on a compilation Disc? You can't play them well! Thus, Circus Atari, Breakout, Kaboom, warlords, Astroblast and Night Driver are short bursts of frantic game play and are must owns. The speed yet perfect analog control are a lot of fun; the speed that Kaboom achieves is incredible, yet beatable.

Other must owns are Keystone Kapers, Pitfall, and especially River Raid and HERO and the fantastic Enduro. All Activision.

• Like 2