IGNORED

A custom Jailbreak Controller for the Super NT

Pixelboy

I want to begin by saying I'm starting this thread without any expectations. Heck, we don't even know yet if the Super NT will be eventually jail-broken, although I think we can at least expect some 8-bit cores to be ported from the NT Mini to the Super NT (ColecoVision, Master System, Game Boy, and several others). But if something real comes out of this thread, then I'll be happy about it. :)

With this in mind, I'd like to explore the possibility of creating a custom "jailbreak controller" for the Super NT. I actually had this idea before with the NT Mini, but the NES controller is just too small for this kind of thing. The Super-NES controller is bigger so it lends itself well to alternative designs (stuff like this was done before by such companies as ASCII).

Essentially, I'd like to see a wired Super-NES controller with a 12-key keypad, which would make it compatible with the ColecoVision, Intellivision and (eventually) Atari 5200 cores. I know there's the NTT Data variant that already has this keypad, but this controller is hard to find and we can expect its price on eBay to skyrocket over the next few years, especially if Kevtris ends up supporting it with his 8-bit cores. The good thing about the NTT Data variant is that it proves that the Super-NES controller port can support a controller with a lot of distinct buttons on it.

I found a conductive rubber keypad on the net which looks like it could be a pretty good fit, but it's hard to tell from a single close-up picture:

photo0-460-460.jpeg

More info on this keypad is found here.

Assuming this keypad could fit in the Super-NES controller casing (with some adjustments) and assuming that creating and manufacturing the casing for such a custom controller would not be an issue, I'm thinking this could actually be possible to do at the homebrew level.

I see a lot of replacement parts available (especially from China) for Super-NES and Super Famicom controllers (mostly D-Pad and button parts) and I'm thinking getting parts for this proposed jailbreak SNES controller should not be too much of an issue. Heck, existing Super-NES controllers could be cannibalized if need be. Also, the keypad pictured above actually has 17 buttons. The F1 to F4 buttons could be used to directly access the FPGA core configuration menus, and the large "spacebar" button at the bottom could be mapped to the START button.

This all sounds possible to me, at least as a prototype. The only problems in terms of mass-production would be the plastic casing and the wire cable.

What do you guys think? :)

This is a great idea, such a gamepad would also be nice in a USB variant for emulators on other machines (presenting a keyboard and gamepad).

That's pretty much how I would justify the creation of a metal mold for the plastic casing of this controller. In addition to the basic model with the Super-NES connector, I could see variants of this controller for ColecoVision (DB9), NES (NES connector) and USB (for emulators on PC or other USB-enabled computers). Not all the buttons would be used (especially not on the NES) but the F1/F2/F3/F4 buttons could be supported on the NT Mini for accessing the game-select and FPGA-config menus.