IGNORED

Was 5200 sold anywhere in Europe?

Tickled_Pink

Strange things are afoot on eBay. Been looking at importing a 5200 into the UK and have noticed sellers on eBay selling 5200 carts from other parts of Europe (such as Austria).

I was under the impression that no PAL 5200 machines exist. My assumption at the moment that this is still true and people who imported 5200 equipment into Europe previously are now looking to offload them.

I remember drooling over photos in the mail order catalogues in the UK when they were expecting the 5200 to be released over here. Sadly, Atari UK had a massive brainstorm, dropped plans to release the 5200 and released the XEGS a little while later instead. In the UK at least, the XEGS bombed - I've never seen one 'in the flesh'.

Anyway, can anyone shed any light on this 5200/Europe mystery for me?

I bought a few 5200 carts from a seller in Europe (K-Razy Shootout and Zenji among them) and they were all NTSC. I think some adventureous chaps must have imported carts and systems even though Atari didn't support the 5200 anywhere overseas.

There was a Featured Auction on AA awhile ago for a 5200 PAL motherbord.  

I could be wrong, mabey it was a 5200 Jr  :ponder:

Yeah, it was the 5200 Jr proto. I won it.

Mitch

Tickled,

There are plenty of XEGS around in the UK, tons, hundreds, thousands.......

It came out some time after the 5200 if I remember, more like at the same time as the 7800.

It wasn't a major seller, heck nothing non ST related was a great Atari seller by then but that was down to Atari UK more than anything else.

Look at ebay UK and you'll usually see at least one for sale. People tend to not like them because they are different, a lot of UK Atari guys are like that, if it ain't an 800XL or 65XE they panic. :?

Quite a cool machine, if it wasn't for the pastel buttons. :P

The XEGS gave us all those cartridge re-releases and ports from disk and tape formats. Ace Of Aces etc, not forgetting the lightgun.

My story of a 5200 in the UK…

When I was in my early teens in the late 80's I moved to England from the US with my family....

Anyways I remember brining my 5200 with me (I put my 2600 in storage 'cause I didn’t play it all that much then) and when we got settled into our new house I found to my horror it would not work. Damn pal TV’s! :(

It went into my bottom drawer with all its games until I moved back to the US in '96! I remember my Mother tried to throw it out twice when I lived in the UK!

From '88-90sh I played only my friends Commodore 64 and Nintendo’s and such. Every day for years I would open my drawer and look at Pam, longing to play her and showing my mates the amazing super system they would never get to play…..

Then in the early 90's my dad brought home a 486, the pc gaming began.....but I still play my 5200 every day to make up for the years of missing it!!

:D

I've talked to various 5200 programmers and most seem to remember testing their 5200 games on a PAL test rig. I actually have two 5200 prototypes (Missile Command and Star Raiders) that are labeled as being PAL. But my question is: if the 5200 was really a 400, wouldn't the PAL/NTSC code be in the console itself and not the carts? That makes my "PAL" 5200 prototypes even more confusing.

Tempest

Well the emualtor seems to indicate that. My 'PAL' Missile Command proto seems to run about 4 seconds slower than the NTSC one on the emulator but runs at normal speed on my real 5200. For some reason the screen is also scrunched up a bit on the emulator, but once again not on my real 5200. I have no clue waht's going, I need someone to look at the code.

You can see the screenshots here: http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/m...issile/4482.htm

Tempest

Archived