IGNORED

130XE RAM, what configuration do you have ?

Level42

because after production and testing this was the chip that almost always caused the problem, so this is what was done and it starts the whole thing off btw... lightning doesn't always kill every tv on the block, but but that guy on the hill generally gets hit the most and we are all on the same power line and all in a row on the same street was heard from murmuring neighbors, some speculated it was the location other just chalked it up to bad luck..... just look at the topography the answer in front of your eyes...

this was discussed in depth previously, enjoy the short good nature of the answer or conversely you can perform a deep search to verify what's been said.

smiles politely goes back to the engineering desk quietly slides out a book and goes back to work... gets distracted by the latest post on AtariAge as well as the cat, glances around then ends up on irc to chat... not getting any work done

Edited by _The Doctor__

If this has been discussed before I'd love a link to it....

In the mean time......

I happen to have fixed the first 130XE board just by replacing all RAM.

While I was at it....I switched around with some type of RAM.

I had three mT 4164-20s on stock. They are "A8 unrelated", I bought them brand new while I was still at my arcade fixing days.....unaware of the mT "quality".

If I put one of them in the LOWER left socket, the machine boots, successfully completes built in memory test.

If I put them in the UPPER left position, black screen at boot.

If I put them in f.i.third position from the top, machine boots to BASIC but random characters start appearing right away....

Memory test fails after first blocks....random characters in screen.

So Yeah....position matters.

In all honesty I have to mention that I haven't replaced the caps for each RAM yet.....this could have some influence, but the MOSTEKs that fill entire left bank seem to have no problem with that fact....and they are -20 types.....