IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Serial Number Thread

Wester

New to collecting...just bought my 1st Atari off ebay a couple of weeks ago. The is SN#27780J. However, I'm not sure if I have the original that came out in 77 or the one that came out in 78. I read on this site that the original units "were manufactured in Sunnyvale, California, and there is a tag on the underside from the manufacturing plant to indicate this. There is also a serial number on the unit itself with a matching serial number sticker on the box."

Mine has a sticker on the bottom that says manf. in Sunnyvale, California, Model#CX-2600, and the SN above. The box says Video Computer System by Atari, 1978. However, there is no SN on the box. So, I'm not sure if I have the original unit from 1977...I also wonder if maybe I have the 77 unit, but a 78 box.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

The is SN#27780J. However, I'm not sure if I have the original that came out in 77 or the one that came out in 78. I read on this site that the original units "were manufactured in Sunnyvale, California, and there is a tag on the underside from the manufacturing plant to indicate this. There is also a serial number on the unit itself with a matching serial number sticker on the box."

The line about original-style units only being made in Sunnyvale is false. I've been trying to get Albert to change it for months but he hasn't. This is why this thread uses the term "heavy sixer" (some members prefer "big sexy") and for the most part we avoid using the location of manufacture to refer to the case style, because we've discovered that the "heavy" style was made in both Sunnyvale, CA and Taiwan. The "light" style was also made in both places.

To tell the difference, go to this link: Atari 2600 Consoles and Clones and click on the small pictures of the first two consoles in the table to see bigger versions. In the so-called "Sunnyvale" edition photo, notice the side top edges (wide moldings), lower front edge (wide molding slightly curved), and lower front corners (wide molding has large curve radius, ending nearly vertical). Now compare these to the second version. There are also better photos of both six-switch versions earlier in this thread.

Mine has a sticker on the bottom that says manf. in Sunnyvale, California, Model#CX-2600, and the SN above. The box says Video Computer System by Atari, 1978. However, there is no SN on the box. So, I'm not sure if I have the original unit from 1977...I also wonder if maybe I have the 77 unit, but a 78 box.

That definitely sounds like a '78 box. On the box front, in the top row of pictures, is there a knight chess piece to the right of the yellow motorcycle? If you're not familiar with chess, this is the one with a horse head. It only appeared on the original '77 boxes.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

(some members prefer "big sexy")

I belive one person prefers that. :dunce:

ditasw you are on the list, and welcome to the forum, it is basically what inspired me to REALLY collect video games. You should check out www.digitpress.com too, it isn't for everybody, but you can get some good deals there sometimes.

Edited by Wester

Thanks for posting guys, you are on the list.

Just a reminder to everyone that posts, if you happen to take the units apart for repair or cleaning just take a quick look over the circuit board to see if there are ant lot numbers like wgungfu's in post #36.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting, looks like you have the highest S/N so far for the Sears models.

I believe the gerneral concensus is the Sears heavies are rarer but the Atari ones are more sought after. The S/N list seems to confirm this.

New to collecting...just bought my 1st Atari off ebay a couple of weeks ago. The is SN#27780J. However, I'm not sure if I have the original that came out in 77 or the one that came out in 78. I read on this site that the original units "were manufactured in Sunnyvale, California, and there is a tag on the underside from the manufacturing plant to indicate this. There is also a serial number on the unit itself with a matching serial number sticker on the box."

Heavy sixers were sold in 1978 as well, which is why your's comes with a 1978 box. Chances are that the hex disk will not be included on the joysticks though.

Dude, that is wrong,

Please quote the message(s) you're responding to! Which "dude" are you saying is wrong, and exactly what was he wrong about?

I have a six switch woody, but the label on the bottom is gone! :sad: Is nthere a place on the inside of the unit with the seriel number?

Which style of six-switch woody? There are two, and we're primarily concerned with the first ("heavy") version in this thread. See Post #227 above.

Unfortunately, the sticker on the case bottom is the only place the serial number appears on Atari 2600 consoles, so if it's missing, we have no way of knowing where yours fits in the sequence. We could get a rough idea from the motherboard revision number, but since that info requires opening the case, we aren't collecting it at this time, though it might be interesting to correlate board revisions with serials.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Thanks for posting, looks like you have the highest S/N so far for the Sears models.

I believe the gerneral concensus is the Sears heavies are rarer but the Atari ones are more sought after. The S/N list seems to confirm this.

WHOO HOO! Does that mean I win? :P

Dude, that is wrong,

Please quote the message(s) you're responding to! Which "dude" are you saying is wrong, and exactly what was he wrong about?

I have a six switch woody, but the label on the bottom is gone! :sad: Is nthere a place on the inside of the unit with the seriel number?

Which style of six-switch woody? There are two, and we're primarily concerned with the first ("heavy") version in this thread. See Post #227 above.

Unfortunately, the sticker on the case bottom is the only place the serial number appears on Atari 2600 consoles, so if it's missing, we have no way of knowing where yours fits in the sequence. We could get a rough idea from the motherboard revision number, but since that info requires opening the case, we aren't collecting it at this time, though it might be interesting to correlate board revisions with serials.

Dude, that is wrong, as in, shit, I have no label on the bottum of my six switch! Sorry, just my dialect of speaking I suppose. I probably have the second style. I know that I have the slot on the bottom for the channel switch, so you tell me! :skull:

Hey guys. I'm looking to buy my first heavy sixer from an acquaintance of mine, but had a couple of questions. First off, the box is in almost mint shape and comes with all of the accessories, i.e. gray power pack, cardboard insert, etc. The serial number on the bottom is 86301F. Is this low?

However, there is no serial number on the box. Could this mean that it fell off somewhere or maybe didn't have one to begin with? I had heard somewhere on the forum that some boxes didn't have serial numbers, but I'm not sure.

Also, the box does not have a chess head on the top row of the graphics, which I'm assuming means that it was a later model box? Does this sound like the serial number and date of the box match?

Does any of this matter in the first place?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have the box for a later model, H6er boxes have the chess peice. As for the S/N being low I'll add it to the list and you can see where it lines up. Sounds like the box and everything will be in good shape, you might even get lucky and find the hex discs are still on the joysticks. Unless he's asking an arm and a leg for it I'd pick it up, I have yet to get a boxed VCS.

Sounds like you have the box for a later model, H6er boxes have the chess peice. As for the S/N being low I'll add it to the list and you can see where it lines up. Sounds like the box and everything will be in good shape, you might even get lucky and find the hex discs are still on the joysticks. Unless he's asking an arm and a leg for it I'd pick it up, I have yet to get a boxed VCS.

I just bought it for $75. I thought that was a pretty good price?? Did heavy sixers only come in the box that had the chess piece on it? I looked up a couple of heavy sixers that have sold with boxes on ebay, and I'd say it was about 50/50. Some boxes had the chess head and some didn't. I was thinking that maybe the box changed in 1978 to the version without the chess head, and accomodated the remainder of the heavy sixers as well as the new light sixers.

The guy that I bought my system from said that he has had the system since it was new.

Yes, from what I've heard they did change the box in '78, so any Heavies made in '78, or left over from the last run would probably be in the new boxes. Personally speaking, unless you get hex discs on the sticks, $75 is probably a little more than I would have paid, I've seen them go for more on Ebay, but I tend to be a cheapskate. The bottom line is that if you are happy with it then you didn't pay too much.

Enjoy the Heavy, they tend to be better quality than later models.

Yes, from what I've heard they did change the box in '78, so any Heavies made in '78, or left over from the last run would probably be in the new boxes. Personally speaking, unless you get hex discs on the sticks, $75 is probably a little more than I would have paid, I've seen them go for more on Ebay, but I tend to be a cheapskate. The bottom line is that if you are happy with it then you didn't pay too much.

Enjoy the Heavy, they tend to be better quality than later models.

I will say that it is very difficult to find an Atari heavy sixer that has its original box that is in very good condition with all accessories. I'm not sure if the joysticks coming with mine will have the hex discs or not. I'll find out this week. It's been a month or so since I saw the last one like that on eBay. It sold for $107 with 6 games, so that would a little more expensive than what I paid as the games were run of the mill Pac Man, Moon Patrol, etc. I also have an Intellivision with its original box as well as a Colecovision.

I wouldn't mind having a Sears heavy in its original box. There was one on ebay about a month ago for $65 plus $20 for shipping. I thought it was a little pricey but it was in excellent condition. Maybe I should have bought it as well. I've always liked the looks of a Sears Atari better than the original but have never had one.

Thanks for the reply!

Just found my first heavy sixxer in the wild today. I got her home to test her out, and WOW! I can't believe how much of an improvement it is over all the non-heavy's. Even the mosts staticy Brazilian multi-carts have a crist sharp picture with no interference! Cool beans, my friends.

Atari made, Sunnyvale CA, Serial 33746G

Hand Stamped "Factory Reconditioned 49.8" over the serial label.

ResOGlas you are on the list. I would really like to see that stamp too, if you can get a pic of it.

Here's a pic for you guys. It's kind of hard to read, but I'm sure you can make it out. :)

Sixer002.jpg

There is also another sticker that says: "Do not attempt game repair there are no user adjustable parts inside"

Is that normal or just on the units that needed to be sent in to be "Factory Reconditioned"? ;)

Edited by ResOGlas