IGNORED

7800 rarity order

Kaiju

Sorry for another rarity question. Its just outside of eBay and the guide here, Im not familiar with 7800 rarity guides and harder to find games.

Having said that if you had to list in order from most to least rare, these are some I own:

Double dragon, Kung fu, alien brigade, planet smashers, Mario Bros, commando, tomcat, hornet.

All are cib, and I spent the most on thus far

the rarity guide on here that glazball linked to above is pretty solid. I agree with it, for the most part, on the games you listed. Here's my take on most to least rare of your list for CIB: Kung-Fu Master, Alien Brigade, Planet Smashers, Commando, Double Dragon, Tomcat, Mario Bros, Hornet. Just basing that off of how often I see them pop up on eBay, etc.

Sorry Kaiju, I misunderstood what you are looking for. Or maybe I still don't understand what exactly your question was? You're curious about availability vs. actual rarity? I'd agree with sixerfan's list but I don't seek out CIB... plus I'm no 7800 expert anyways so it's probably best to ignore me lol.

In my hunting over the years, I would say NTSC Mean 18 is very rare, but still not as rare as Tank Command. I'd put it 2nd rarest behind TC. Lately though, I have seen several copies sold, and for less than what I paid around a year ago. But maybe PAL copies are being sold in or to the US which factors into ebay's numbers and game value tracking sites' numbers.

Edited by glazball

Im not sure I know the practical difference between rarity vs availability as a collector. I was more or less ask for a order listing like sixer posted, in reference to the games I had specified.

Something to put them into perspective along with the guide on this site.

I dont have many retro game shops or anything like that around me..just eBay. And Im new to actually collecting so I dont have years of searching to look back on.

I guess a boiled down way to ask is. If my house was on fire and i had time to grab a stack of games based solely on value/rarity so I can sell because my insurance is crappy.. which should I grab

• 3 weeks later...

Does price actually factor into the rarity calculation? Sometimes games or hardware are like unicorns to find, but still not very expensive when you do. Take the Mogul Maniac manual: I defy you to find one, but I got one from Germany with the cart for $30.00 just this year, mint.

Does price actually factor into the rarity calculation? Sometimes games or hardware are like unicorns to find, but still not very expensive when you do. Take the Mogul Maniac manual: I defy you to find one, but I got one from Germany with the cart for $30.00 just this year, mint.

Typically, as Im sure most of us can attest, the rarer a game, the pricier it is. That said, sometimes you can get lucky!

And that would be the PAL one right? Also, that is for the 2600 not 7800.

And that would be the PAL one right? Also, that is for the 2600 not 7800.

It is a 2600 game manual, just as an example of something germane to game collecting that is rare but not expensive. The cart can be PAL or NTSC, I have one of each, near mint, common and worth aqbout $15, but the apparently very rare manuals are indistinguishable as far as I can tell, so I might as well have an NTSC cart and manual, or PAL cart and manual. There was no typical box, as it came with the amiga joyboard. However, can't think of a case of a really rare 8+ cart for 2600 or 7800 that is inexpensive. Just wondering if anyone uses price as part of the calculation of rarity value.

It is a 2600 game manual, just as an example of something germane to game collecting that is rare but not expensive. The cart can be PAL or NTSC, I have one of each, near mint, common and worth aqbout $15, but the apparently very rare manuals are indistinguishable as far as I can tell, so I might as well have an NTSC cart and manual, or PAL cart and manual. There was no typical box, as it came with the amiga joyboard. However, can't think of a case of a really rare 8+ cart for 2600 or 7800 that is inexpensive. Just wondering if anyone uses price as part of the calculation of rarity value.

Some PAL manuals are the same you are right. With the 7800 most manuals and boxes are actually the same as well. Many people complete their copies this way.