IGNORED

Is it worth buying a 5200?

Zloch

Hi all,

I was wondering what peoples think. I already own a 2600 and a 7800. Now granted, I'm drooling over the Jr. Pac Man and Super Pac Man carts in the store, but are the enough 5200 only games that I can't get on a 2600 or 7800? Are there games that are better than the 7800 or 2600 versions? Just wanted an opinion or two before I resume the 5200 quest.

Thanks!

Sean

The 5200 rocks! Here are my 5200 favs:

Berzerk

Centipede

Defender

Frogger

Gyruss

H.E.R.O

Joust

Mario Bros.

Miner 2049er

Missile Command

Montezuma's Revenge

Mountain King

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

Pitfall II

Q*Bert

Robotron 2084

Star Wars The Arcade Game

Even though I've only played the 5200 through emulation, I'd have to say it's a very good system. Here my faves...

Ballblazer

Beamrider

Berzerk

Centipede

Choplifter

Defender

Gremlins

H.E.R.O.

Joust

Jungle Hunt

Millipede (it's a prototype, but you can buy it at the Atariage store)

Missile Command (the sounds are arcade-perfect)

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

Pitfall II

Q*Bert

Qix

Robotron 2084

Space Invaders

Super Breakout

The Dreadnought Factor

Make sure to ask for working controllers and a working switchbox if you get a 4-port but if you just get a 2-port you only need to worry about the controllers!! :D

Good Luck and Happy hunting!!

no one mentioned Miner 2049er or Bounty Bob! :o I've given serious thought to buying a 5200 just for those two games (already have a 7800).

I have to admit I just realised (within the last month) that the atari 5200 controllers are not self centering. If if wasn't for that I think I would have one by now.

Miner 2049er is a great game! I remember some people down the block had that on the Atari 400 on cassette. You had to wait a half hour for the tape drive to load the game.

I did manage to track down Miner 2049er for my Colecovision a few years back. Great game.

How is Bounty Bob?

It's just as cool as the first Miner 2049er :) I haven't made it nearly as far in bounty bob as I have Miner2049er, but I love it all the same, I just settle for playing on the emus right now. If I ever got a real system for those games it would be hard to tear myself away from it :)

Archived