IGNORED

Thanks alot, chumps!

bloatedmonkey

So this was fair Game. Just like in Football.

Sorry to post again, but in football you look your opponent in the face and do battle. If you walked out on the field and there was no team, but a sign, saying "this game has already been decided", you'd probably be none too happy. That was my point.

But I now see the errors of my virtuous ways.

So this was fair Game. Just like in Football.

Sorry to post again, but in football you look your opponent in the face and do battle. If you walked out on the field and there was no team, but a sign, saying "this game has already been decided", you'd probably be none too happy. That was my point.

But I now see the errors of my virtuous ways.

Ahh Point taken. What if you knew when you saw the field that 4 of the best teams were going to fight it out on the back lot. Would you sit there on that field alone or would you join the frey.

So be it, jedi.

Join the dark side.

CPU I am your father :lolblue:

Ahh Point taken. What if you knew when you saw the field that 4 of the best teams were going to fight it out on the back lot. Would you sit there on that field alone or would you join the frey.

Except in this case, we're not fighting in the back lot. You can't see your opponent, and you don't even know if anyone won. This situation is much more analagous to politics than to sports. In my opinion, doing an under-the-table deal unknown to your opponent is not nearly as fun as seeing the expression on his face as you beat him into submission. Much as my monkey will do to you when I sew his head back on, you sick freak!

Except in this case, we're not fighting in the back lot.  You can't see your opponent, and you don't even know if anyone won.  This situation is much more analagous to politics than to sports.  In my opinion, doing an under-the-table deal unknown to your opponent is not nearly as fun as seeing the expression on his face as you beat him into submission.  Much as my monkey will do to you when I sew his head back on, you sick freak!

:lolblue: :jango: |:)

emppal.jpg

I only ended auctions early once because someone wanted 8 games I had on ebay. I just figured it was easier to deal with one person instead of 8 others. His offer was fair and the auctions had only been posted for a few hours with no bids.

I would never do it towards the end of an auction or if people had already bid though.

The dark side spends all it's energy focusing on assimilating cart collections, no time for facelifts.  :lol:

Is that your best pic, CPUWIZ?

Wow..you look awfully glowing in that picture! Whose collection did you take those carts from?

LOL.... :lol:

I see where the orignal poster is coming from.

People ending aucitons early pisses me off to the same extent of people

who post on here about something that is "hidden" in an auction...

like a rare game that some people didn't see.

That's bullshit. I mean, its ok once its over, but not for while the auction is still on to say "Hey guys, look here, theres a waterworld or chase the chuckwagon in that box"

While we are ranting, it also makes me mad when people kill the buy it now when they dont plan on buying things....

jeez.... im done for now, im going to go back to my Old Grandads 100p...

Brad

Hmmm... I'm torn on the concept of ending an auction early. I did it once m'self. Had a loose 2600 Gremlins up for auction. Ran for 6 1/2 days - 12 hours left - and no bids at all. Someone e-mailed me and asked if he could buy it outright for $20. I said sure and ended the auction. I then got 3 angry e-mails from guys who were monitoring the auction and were planning on bidding at the last minute. Told 'em to beat $20 if they wanted it. They all told me - in so many words - that they were hoping to get it for much less.

So, I screwed out at least three guys who WERE planning on bidding. But none of them were about to go as high as the guy who bought it outright. I figured, I had the auction up for more than 6 days without a nibble. So, when an offer came along, I took it. I've not ended an auction early since then, but it makes me wonder if that auction had gone to term, would it have sold for much less than the $20 I got for it? Hmmmm....

Just keep in mind, folks, that those of you who pester sellers to end their auctions early only encourage the greed that has manifested itself in this hobby. Wanna know why there are still protos in collectors' hands which haven't been dumped yet, and probably never will? Because of this greed. You few people willing to shill out insane amounts of money for old games just to sit on a shelf ruin it for the rest of us. It's become less fun over the years, and I'm afraid that one day I may not consider collecting worth it anymore. Video games are entertainment, folks, NOT AN INVESTMENT! Only a fool would think otherwise.

Shocking but yet at the same time wise words, Sauron.

Svenski Corp, distributing JINKS to the masses

"Mom, I can't go pee right now, I'm playing JINKS!!!"

The Jinks Appreciation Society

Video games are entertainment, folks, NOT AN INVESTMENT! Only a fool would think otherwise.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. But I hope that this trend will run its course much like the comic book/baseball card/Beanie Baby/Magic:TG card hoarding trends of the past have gone. Eventually, the folks in it for the money only will drop away and the folks who were in it for the long haul can then pick up the cheap pieces.

Video games are entertainment, folks, NOT AN INVESTMENT! Only a fool would think otherwise.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. But I hope that this trend will run its course much like the comic book/baseball card/Beanie Baby/Magic:TG card hoarding trends of the past have gone. Eventually, the folks in it for the money only will drop away and the folks who were in it for the long haul can then pick up the cheap pieces.

i dont think there's ever going to be cheap prices again... :sad:

brad

You'd be surprised. Collecting prices go in cycles. In the beginning everything is cheap. Then it gets popular and the prices go up. This continues for a while untill prices are so high that the "investors" cash out and then things return to an equilibrium. Although they may never reach the original cheap prices (ie 50cents to a dollar), prices are not likely to remain as high as they are. 8) .

Also I feel that side-deals are unethical. :thumbsdown:

You'd be surprised. Collecting prices go in cycles. In the beginning everything is cheap. Then it gets popular and the prices go up. This continues for a while untill prices are so high that the "investors" cash out and then things return to an equilibrium. Although they may never reach the original cheap prices (ie 50cents to a dollar), prices are not likely to remain as high as they are.

It's actually pretty interesting that prices for rare games are running at all time highs, while the economy is in the crapper. And Atari is far from a main-stream hobby. A thousand bucks is alot to this group but it's nothing to the general collecting public. I fear things are destined to become much more expensive. Luckily I have most of what I want...EXCEPT FOR THAT DAMNED LOCHJAW!!!

Revenge of the Jedi Monkey: You can't win, chumps. If you strike him down, he will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

JESUS :!: :!: :!: I go to work for a few days and look what happens! I can't leave you guys alone for a minute! :P

I have to agree with Bloatedmonkey on the "things are going to get more expensive" idea. Unlike comics/sports and non-sports cards/toys/MTG cards/beany babbies. You can't replace your collection once it's sold or gone. There is no new product being released that speculators can buy at 40% of retail and hold on to see if it's going to be hard to find or not.

Yes, comics dropped in price after the crash. But not the old ones...not the old sports cards...not the old non-sports cards...old toys...etc.

For the record, I agree that an auction shouldn't be stopped once started. I do NOT, however, agree that video games are entertainment and not an investment. They are both. And they have to be viewed as both. I enjoy these games for what they are: something I played with in my youth. I also enjoy them because:

1. They are getting rarer.

2. They are cool to display in a gaming room.

3. It's like treasure hunting.

4. I can't afford a Picasso!

Yes, I've been known to pay to much for a silly game made of plastic. But the cool thing is, I can always put it all on Ebay and get most of my money back :| , or all of it :) ,or maybe even make a profit. :ahoy:

It's actually pretty interesting that prices for rare games are running at all time highs

I don't think that's entirely true. In the mid-nineties, people paid $1500 for Magicard, Eli's Ladder and the likes as well, and the "one-of-a-kind" protos went for even more. It's the big ticket items that fetch all the attention, while 95% of all games have gotten (much) cheaper over the years.

Cheers,

Marco

In the mid-nineties, people paid $1500 for Magicard, Eli's Ladder and the likes as well, and the "one-of-a-kind" protos went for even more

Interesting. That was before I started collecting. Thanks for the correction, old-timer. Grandpa, can you tell me what collecting was like before Ebay?

while 95% of all games have gotten (much) cheaper over the years.

I'd be willing to bet that Ebay has helped with that. I haven't even seen a Pac-Man outside of Ebay in a few years. Then again, I prefer to hang out in strip clubs rather than Goodwill.

Atarinuts, you are wise. Beware the dark side. :jango: [/i]

• 1 month later...

Archived