IGNORED

My phony Atari 7800 commercial

DracIsBack

As many of you know, the way Atari marketing the Atari 7800 bugged the hell out of me. You see the impact of their inept marketing today whenever people that aren't Atarians leave comments about the system.

I was fiddling around with iMovie and made the type of commercial I thought Atari should have created for the 7800 back in the day - something that showed what it could do, that it wasn't just a "slightly improved 2600" and that there were some cool games. But alas, Atari gave up without even fighting that much.

Please feel free to download it here!

http://homepage.mac.com/markrathwell/7800C...Commercial.html

WOW!! Great commercial and everything fits perfectly Nintendo didnt have these commercials, not for the NES that is but yes you snooze you loose! thats the sad part but KUDOS on the great commercial!!

Wow, that kicks butt, you rock! The tune was good too, it went through my head for an hour or two after having downloaded it. Nice to see Jinks and Tower Toppler get their due, and yeah, the ending was funny.

However--and don't you guys hate me for this, I don't own, much less have played every 7800 game out there, ok?--what's the game not long after it starts with the giant vampire dude filling up most of the screen, is that from Midnight Mutants? Nice to see some games I'm not familiar with (yet :)), and the ad shows some really good elements/action from all of them.

Thanks for the nice words, guys - I appreciate it.

Yes - the Equalizer was chosen because of the era it aired (1985-9) - it fit with the 7800 and I've always dug that theme.

The game shots, in order are:

Graphics:

TOWER TOPPLER

NINJA GOLF

ALIEN BRIGADE

MIDNIGHT MUTANTS

Animation:

TOWER TOPPLER

DESERT FALCON

IMPOSSIBLE MISSION

BALLBLAZER

Arcade Hits:

DOUBLE DRAGON

RAMPAGE

IKARI WARRIORS

XENOPHOBE

KLAX

COMMANDO

Classics:

XEVIOUS

DONKEY KONG

JOUST

POLE POSITION 2

ROBOTRON 2084

MARIO BROTHERS

MS PACMAN

CROSSBOW

ASTEROIDS

Adventures:

SCRAPYARD DOG

PLANET SMASHERS

DARK CHAMBERS

NINJA GOLF

FATAL RUN

MIDNIGHT MUTANTS

ALIEN BRIGADE

COMMANDO

sports:

PETE ROSE BASEBALL

BASKETBRAWL

FIGHT NIGHT

MEAN 18 ULTIMATE GOLF

MAT MANIA CHALLENGE

Computer:

WINTER GAMES

KARATEKA

F-18 HORNET

SUMMER GAMES

Strategy:

MELTDOWN

SUPER SKATEBOARDIN'

BARNYARD BLASTER

CRACK'ED

JINKS

The idea again was to show a bunch of the 7800's titles, in their best light (as any commercial should) and show that it wasn't just a 2600 with a new name.

I did originally have some clips from some of my other games, but some of them didn't work well (ex. TOUCHDOWN FOOTBALL) while others were too close to the types of games I already had (ex. ACE OF ACES).

I made a bit of a shocking discovery when putting this together. As some of you know, I sold my original 7800 in 1994 when I was a broke student. At the time, I ended up selling some games that are now harder to find - KUNG FU MASTER, TITLE MATCH WRESTLING, F-14 TOMCAT, and MOTOR PSYCHO all went with the 7800. I ended up buying another 7800 in 1999, and have been re-building my collection. I thought I had all the 7800 titles except for the four listed above.

Anyway, as I was putting together the clips for the "ARCADE CLASSICS" portion of the commercial, I wanted to show FOOD FIGHT - and discovered that I don't have it! I was positive I did and was shocked. I was also shocked to learn I had two SCRAPYARD DOG carts.

Chuckle.

Things start to blur together.

I like the idea of doing a Jaguar commercial. Maybe that will be my next project. :wink:

Archived