IGNORED

Other Apple IIe Platinum upgrade ideas

AMenard

I finished modding and repackaging a Mountain Hardware Expansion Chassis to work with the Platinum. I'm currently testing it with hardware like the Apple Cat II, various math co-processor boards, 68K board, Mountain Music System, among others.

Please explain the mods to the Mountain Chassis for the Platinum you did, I have one also but it does not work with the newer models. BTW what is the serial Number on yours? Mine is 10.

What's the memory configuration on this? 512 or 1024? And would you happen to have any other of the A2heaven products? See. I'm looking to build a "Super //e" similar to c0op3r's but different. Instead of building in the control panels and indicators I'll be doing a breakout box as I have other additions. I don't want to over-clutter the lid, and I want everything modular and removable.

See with mine I just got another lid to modify, the original lid for this computer is in the Apple carrying case, as its signed by Woz, so all my mods are generally reversible.

Please explain the mods to the Mountain Chassis for the Platinum you did, I have one also but it does not work with the newer models. BTW what is the serial Number on yours? Mine is 10.

I'm working on write-up that'll explain everything. I want to be sure I get everything 100% right. I pick a few timing signals from the LS138 right below slot 4, and the IOU.

There are two MHEC cards, does yours have dip switches? Or plug-in jumpers? One of my chassis has a serial number in the 900's. One of my chassis boards has a prototyping area. The other does not.

I'm working on write-up that'll explain everything. I want to be sure I get everything 100% right. I pick a few timing signals from the LS138 right below slot 4, and the IOU.

There are two MHEC cards, does yours have dip switches? Or plug-in jumpers? One of my chassis has a serial number in the 900's. One of my chassis boards has a prototyping area. The other does not.

I will have to ask, I ended up shipping mine off to a friend as all I have is a IIe Platinum and he has II (s) and II+ and IIe non enhanced to make sure that it all worked and it did. I dont know that I will ever even use it, but it sure is a neat accessory.

Sound card, CPU accelerator, Apple composite color monitor (I prefer this to digital or VGA), ram upgrade & clock. With the Floppy Emu, I don't think you need a CFFA3000 since it basically does the same thing, but a bit slower I think. It also works with Mac's. Of course it doesn't hurt to have both, but most likely you will only use the CFFA3000 most of the time.

You get a HD and dual 5.25" drive emulation with the CFFA3000. I love the Floppy Emu, but you only get one 5.25" drive at a time so you still have to do a lot of "disk swapping."

You get a HD and dual 5.25" drive emulation with the CFFA3000. I love the Floppy Emu, but you only get one 5.25" drive at a time so you still have to do a lot of "disk swapping."

You get a smartport HD with the Floppy Emu also. I love that feature. You can't have more than one drive of any type at a time though. That would be a very cool feature. I will ask Steve if it would be possible in the future.

You get a smartport HD with the Floppy Emu also. I love that feature. You can't have more than one drive of any type at a time though. That would be a very cool feature. I will ask Steve if it would be possible in the future.

Agreed - I made a suggestion of supporting two 5.25" drives at once to him as well.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 11/11/2017 at 2:57 AM, Keatah said:

I finished modding and repackaging a Mountain Hardware Expansion Chassis to work with the Platinum. I'm currently testing it with hardware like the Apple Cat II, various math co-processor boards, 68K board, Mountain Music System, among others.

---

The MHEC came up in another conversation and google led me to your post.  What does that entail, modding it to work on a //e?  

I got a FastChip and really like it!  If you ask nicely, he will put a 65816 in there, which ends up acting like a 65C802, but runs at up to 16Mhz!

Being able to run the Platinum at 3 to 5Mhz is just great.  Games, like Nox Archaic play fantastic, like running on the //C+

That card and my CFFA have been awesome upgrades.

Lately, I have been enjoying my RGB card talked about here.  It is near perfect!  And it allows me to run my Apple on a nice PVM display.  

I do have the HDMI card, VidHD and will say it too is excellent!  That one offers new graphics and text modes, will allow GS graphics on the Platinum and more.  It works at a fixed 1080p HDMI display though.  I did not mind that and used it with a monitor.  If HDMI appeals to you, VidHD is a great card to get.

I will put mine into my GS.  Was kind of over kill on the Platinum.  

And besides, I like my 8 bit fun to include analog displays.  Your Mileage May Vary!

Got a Z80 card from Ian Kim.  Liked it, but just did not end up using it, but it sure was fun to play Coleco games and Sega 1000 games!  That card is not currently installed, but I did like it and almost want a second system that is not a GS to hold cards so I can use them!

The only other things I want are some card I can use with a FujiNET and a Mockingboard. 

7 hours ago, 01tracker said:

The MHEC came up in another conversation and google led me to your post.  What does that entail, modding it to work on a //e?  

It's basically getting access to all the signals the II+ gives. I don't remember much about it. Gave up when I couldn't get it to be stable.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

What are you planning to do with them?

And wow!  What a score!  I went looking for those some while back.  They were hard to find and expensive.

You going to test them?  Suppose you could plug them into an Apple and then run ID3...

On 4/21/2023 at 11:01 PM, potatohead said:

Cool!  I am eager to get the FujiNet for Apple running.  It is awesome on an 800XL.

You could try a passive reflector.  Use some foil to make a dish and place your FujiNET at the focal point of it.

How's the Fujinet working for you with your Apple II? I switched ISP's and now the Fujinet sses my router and is able to get online. Checked out the ISS tracker. It's awesome. My only problem is trying to get the //c+ to see the TNFS server I have set up on my MacBook Pro. Of course I do have a 32gb micro-sd card plugged into the Fujinet, so it's not like I can't run games on the //c+.

15 minutes ago, magnusfalkirk said:

yes, I have two Apple IIGS's so I know about the 65c816. So is the 65c802 similar?

WDC 65C816

The W65C802 or 65802 is completely software-compatible with the 65C816, but is electrically-compatible with the 6502 and 65C02. Hence the 65C802 could be used as a drop-in replacement in most systems equipped with a 6502 or 65C02. However, the 65C802 cannot emit a 24-bit address, which limits it to a 64 KB address space. The 65C802 is no longer produced.

WDC 65816/65802

The 65802

The WDC 65802 (also: 65C802) is a 65816 CPU in a 6502-pinout package (fully 6502 compatible). The 65802 was produced by WDC and GTE during the mid-to-late 1980s and early 1990s.

The chip was designed as an upgrade path from the 8-bit 6502/65C02 to the new 65816 16-bit CPU. To do this, the 65802 has a 16-bit address bus like the 6502/65C02 (64 KB memory space), reduced from the 24-bit address bus of the 65816. All of the bank select registers, etc., from the 65816, are still intact in the 65802 CPU core, they just have no effect when used. Typically, when hardware manufacturers have designed a project from the ground up, they have used the more powerful 65816.

Edited by Wyatt Wong