IGNORED

question about TI joysticks

Kid Ice

I bought a TI and a few games but I don't have controllers. I never had a TI (I was a Commodore kid). I'm looking to buy joysticks but the ones I'm seeing on ebay appear.... crooked.

Are they self-centering controllers, or loose like 5200 controllers? The ones I'm seeing look like those Vectrex sticks that tend to lean to the right or left.

Like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Instruments-PHP1100-Home-Computer-Remote-Controllers-Joysticks-TI99-TI-99/122777027211?epid=1421191762&hash=item1c9614c28b:g:mb8AAOSwD8ZZ84d0

Looking at the pics it appears the sticks are off center, but it could just be the angle. The new sticks (and package pics) look like they're straight, but the new ones tend to be untested.

Are they generally reliable? I don't want to spend 20-40 dollars on broken sticks.

Edited by Kid Ice

The original TI Sticks are often called pain sticks for good reason. The metallized buttons for up/down/left/right below the central stick are often unreliable after 30+ years too, so they aren't the best joystick choice either. You are better off getting an Atari Joystick adapter like this one and then using your favorite Atari-compatible joysticks with it.

^

What he said. :) There are threads on favored joysticks that may enlighten you on your options. As far as I know, only one guy here likes those TI sticks... but I'm not gonna put him on front street over it. :waving:

:waving:

I like Zero Zap, too... wanna fight about it?

Edited by OLD CS1
  • Like 2

Another zero zap fan here, the pain-sticks ain't the best but they are all i got right now.

I just wish C64 joysticks could be easily used, got a whole box of spare C64 sticks.

Conveniently..they are the same as atari joysticks. ie, just need the adapter mentioned previously

"The Atari joystick port, however, appeared on many other systems. Atari-compatible joysticks were used for Commodore VIC20, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, MSX, Sinclair ZX81/Spectrum using an adaptor and several Japanese home computers." - from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600_hardware

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

Another zero zap fan here, the pain-sticks ain't the best but they are all i got right now.

I just wish C64 joysticks could be easily used, got a whole box of spare C64 sticks.

Really… a whole box? C64 sticks aren't exactly common. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of those beauties scattered about! :)

They're surprisingly comfortable and responsive when in good shape, but the traditional CX-40 fits these hands a little better, especially for extended periods. Gotta have hands of a gorilla for the Wico sticks to feel "comfortable". :rolling:

• Like 1

Really… a whole box? C64 sticks aren't exactly common. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of those beauties scattered about! :)

They're surprisingly comfortable and responsive when in good shape, but the traditional CX-40 fits these hands a little better, especially for extended periods. Gotta have hands of a gorilla for the Wico sticks to feel "comfortable". :rolling:

I've got a couple of CX-40 style joysticks that came with my Atari Flashback- I'm interested to try them when my adapter gets here. Won't hold candle to the 'real' ones tho :)

• Like 1

I've got a couple of CX-40 style joysticks that came with my Atari Flashback- I'm interested to try them when my adapter gets here. Won't hold candle to the 'real' ones tho :)

That's right, they won't. But they'll feel and respond much better than some old worn out pair. For a short while anyway. :-)

• Like 1

The original TI Sticks are often called pain sticks for good reason. The metallized buttons for up/down/left/right below the central stick are often unreliable after 30+ years too, so they aren't the best joystick choice either. You are better off getting an Atari Joystick adapter like this one and then using your favorite Atari-compatible joysticks with it.

Thanks for the responses. I will go the adapter route, I didn't know they could be had inexpensively. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You can get newly-made CX-40s around for about $20 each. I have not read any reviews on how well they stand up to the originals, though.

If you are referring to the generic one's, I purchased one and had to replace the internal stick on it within a few hours of playing. It cracked at the base near the pads. Once I replaced it with a real Atari stick, the thing seems to work great. Responsive and sturdy. Not sure if I just got a bad one or if they are all prone to break, but either way I am overall pleased with it.