IGNORED

Power Supply - 2600 Jr. Questions!!!

pumpkito

Ok so the specs for the 2600 PS seem to be the following:

Input: 120VAC 60Hz

Output: 9VDC 500mA

Polarity: Center +, Outer -

Now I just got one on ebay that is similar but has 117VAC (with the rest of the details being the same)

Now I could have a bum unit from Ebay - possible and likely but before I resign myself to utter depression... I figured I'd try to get the last couple of questions answered before I give up....

I'm getting a black fuzzy screen (fuzzier when set to channel 2) : Now here's what I've done.

Now I've tried two separate televisions (both modern) with two tv switchboxes (one original with 300/75 adapter on the end - and one Radio shack special with a built in coax connector). Attempted to emulate composite using my VCR's coax input and outputting to tv via RCA's.

The only things I haven't tried are another power supply (hence my questions regarding 117VAC or 120VAC) and throwing the unit out of the window.

WOULD the difference ni VAC cause what I have described above????

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

PuMpKiTo

email me: nakedtime@hotmail.com or knuckles@home.com

I wouldn't think the actually voltage from the wall outlet would matter. What matters is the adapter is actually putting out a solid 9 volts DC to the 2600 itself. Although I once used a variable adapter myself and found that I could play my old 4 switch 2600 on as little as about 6.5 volts...but that the colors were screwy and the picture would be fuzzy. So it could be a dirty transformer (Dirty as in quality of the power). I suggest trying a new adapter from somewhere...then blame the RF mod on the unit itself.

The power supply you're using is strong enough to feed your Atari, if the input is rated as 117VAC, and the output as 9v 500ma it should do the trick.

The 2600 works with only 5 volts so don't worry about that 117VAC spec, now what you CAN'T do is to plug a small power adapter rated to deliver less than 500ma, I've tried it with a small power adapter that it should deliver 300ma and the graphics were corrupted and the game crashed.

You CAN use a power adapter rated to deliver 9v 1A (or 1000ma).

If the power supply is messing with your display it may be due to "electrical noise" or interference produced by the power supply itself, some cheap brands are "dirty and noisy" to put it in a way, more expensive models work in a "clean" way and it won't mess around with your display.

• 1 month later...

I have yet to find an Atari power supply for any system that puts out exactly what is required. The 2600 adapters all put out around 13 VDC, just be sure the mA rating is correct (500mA). Higher is bad news, a little lower and you get a 60 ccle hum. The 5200 supplies range up to 15 VDC!

Hi TR:

"just be sure the mA rating is correct (500mA). Higher is bad news,"

Wadaumean? a 1,000ma (1 Amp) Power supply works fine on any VCS I've tried before.

As far as I'm concerned, the "load" is set by the VCS not by the Power supply, the Power Supply just have to be able to keep up with what the VCS demands from it. I've never experienced any kind of problem using a 1Amp Power Supply. Have you?

• 2 years later...

Most wall wart power supplies aren't regulated. With no load (not plugged into the Atari), you'll measure a lot more than 9V. 13V isn't suprising. If you measure when it's plugged in, you'll get closer to 9V, though you'd have to take the unit apart to do so.

The Atari itself runs on 5V. There's a regulator inside that turns 9V into 5V. It should work with anything over about 6.5-7V. Don't go too much higher than 9V, since the extra juice is converted to heat.