IGNORED

Alternate Reality official version with partial copy protection

ijor

As it is well known, Alternate Reality The City is one of the heaviest copy protected titles for the Atari 8-bits. At the hardware side of the protection, it was one of the first titles that had weak bits. It has several sectors of weak bits on the same track. It is rather unique in that it combines both duplicate sectors and sectors with weak bits (it has dups of weak sectors). It is very strict when it checks the extent of the weak bits in the sector. And it has other, more common, protections as well. Philip Price at his best :)

Recently we found that there is a version that doesn't have any weak bits at all. The track with the weak bits is identical except that the sectors instead of weak bits they are "stable" with a "normal" CRC error. As if that track would have been copied with something like a Happy that can't reproduce weak bits. The rest of the protection was not altered. My initial reaction was that it was either a duplication defect or a hacked version. But now we found multiple copies of this version, they all match and are identical. That would mean it is very unlikely it is a hack. And the code was altered to ignore the result of the protection checking for the weak bits. Or at least it seems so. That would discard a mastering or duplication defect. The check for the "common" protection remains. It is still copy protected.

I don't know why they removed the weak bits. A possible idea is that at some point they used cheaper duplication that couldn't master the weak bits.

Regardless it would be important if we can confirm that this version works correctly. Unfortunately it is very difficult for this type of games. If somebody very familiar with this game would like to test it, please let me know and I'll send you images of this version.

For the time being, until confirming the exact behavior of this version I would prefer to avoid a public post. But we are not hiding it either. If somebody wants the images right now, just ask.

• Like 8

Sometimes when my originals got corrupted for one reason or another I would do things similar to this and put the programs back on the labeled purchase disks

In this case, the two copies of AR came from different shrink-wrapped boxes so the chance of this, while still possible, is highly unlikely.

• Like 5

Somewhat off-topic, but related: does anyone have recommendations for overviews of the types of copy protection used on Atari disks (or tapes or cartridges, for that matter)?

I've been following some of the stuff that 4am has been doing with Apple ][ copy protection, and it's been fairly fascinating. Is there anything out there for the A8 in a similar vein?

• Like 1

I don't think so. Some games get notoriety for being the first to carry a certain type of protection that the existing addons like Happy couldn't handle at the time.

Atari games probably more than most were cracked before being widely distributed since by default and unlike the C64, A2 and many others, almost all protection schemes couldn't be dupilcated on a standard drive.

I remember getting Great American Cross Country Road Race to work using a standard drive with no crack. The game attempts to read a high sector and only cares that an error is returned, no other sectors on that track are accessed, and no sector after it on the disk. So I copied it by just partly formatting a disk (eject at the right time) then copying the used portion to the blank.

There's some books and docs around but pretty sure they describe protection in a generic sense and usually refer to software houses when grouping types rather than getting down to individual games.

AR - Dungeon I don't think at the time could be copied with Happy - fairly sure it used something like duplicate sectors, missing sectors as well as a CRC error.

Somewhat off-topic, but related: does anyone have recommendations for overviews of the types of copy protection used on Atari disks (or tapes or cartridges, for that matter)?

You have this: http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Atari-Software-Protection-Techniques.pdfand this: http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Advanced_Atari_Protection_Techniques.pdf ...

There are also a couple of modern notes. But due to the way the Atari drives operate, the protections are very few and much simpler than the ones on most other platforms.

• Like 2

You have this: http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Atari-Software-Protection-Techniques.pdfand this: http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Advanced_Atari_Protection_Techniques.pdf ...

There are also a couple of modern notes. But due to the way the Atari drives operate, the protections are very few and much simpler than the ones on most other platforms.

Sweet, thank you! Those should give me some good starting points.

• 2 months later...

I've been following some of the stuff that 4am has been doing with Apple ][ copy protection, and it's been fairly fascinating. Is there anything out there for the A8 in a similar vein?

If you want to know which title uses which type of protection then you can have a look at the CSV and explanation attached to this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252283-straight-cracks-from-farbs-atx-torrent/page-9?do=findComment&comment=3959654

• 5 years later...
On 11/22/2017 at 2:31 AM, ijor said:

As it is well known, Alternate Reality The City is one of the heaviest copy protected titles for the Atari 8-bits. At the hardware side of the protection, it was one of the first titles that had weak bits. It has several sectors of weak bits on the same track. It is rather unique in that it combines both duplicate sectors and sectors with weak bits (it has dups of weak sectors). It is very strict when it checks the extent of the weak bits in the sector. And it has other, more common, protections as well. Philip Price at his best :)

Recently we found that there is a version that doesn't have any weak bits at all. The track with the weak bits is identical except that the sectors instead of weak bits they are "stable" with a "normal" CRC error. As if that track would have been copied with something like a Happy that can't reproduce weak bits. The rest of the protection was not altered. My initial reaction was that it was either a duplication defect or a hacked version. But now we found multiple copies of this version, they all match and are identical. That would mean it is very unlikely it is a hack. And the code was altered to ignore the result of the protection checking for the weak bits. Or at least it seems so. That would discard a mastering or duplication defect. The check for the "common" protection remains. It is still copy protected.

I don't know why they removed the weak bits. A possible idea is that at some point they used cheaper duplication that couldn't master the weak bits.

Regardless it would be important if we can confirm that this version works correctly. Unfortunately it is very difficult for this type of games. If somebody very familiar with this game would like to test it, please let me know and I'll send you images of this version.

For the time being, until confirming the exact behavior of this version I would prefer to avoid a public post. But we are not hiding it either. If somebody wants the images right now, just ask.

Hello, Many of the games released in the early 1980s had two versions. The first version was mostly secured using a synchronous format + double sectors on a synchronously formatted track or CRC, DDM sectors on a synchronous track. The second version of the games after about a year, sometimes two, were released and saved with 34 sector protection on the track. I have several original games, mainly from Electronic Arts, in two versions, sometimes the floppy disk envelopes have a different color and sometimes the stickers on the floppy disk have a different color. When you try to copy, you will find out what version you have (program or game release). The first types of protection were copied by Happy Warpy, Speedy 1050, Super Archivery versions 1 and 2, Toms Multi Drive both in Atari 1050 Toms Multi Drive disk drives and in CA 2001 and LDW 2000 drives. The second version of protection is only copied by Super Archiver 1 and 2 with the module Bit Writer. The game released in 2 versions is definitely Seven Cities of Gold, One on One, I don't remember if I have M.U.L.E. in 2 versions, but this is an explanation of the differences why some games can be copied and others cannot. Moreover, it is of course possible that someone partially cracked the game by changing security procedures, but if someone pirated it, they almost always broke all security measures and did not leave them for dessert. There is also an option used only in Happy Warp 1050. You can make a copy of the game, the copy has no protection, appropriate software (PDB files by programming the Atari 1050 station with the Happy Warp modification) so that after restarting the computer, the copy of the game loads only with the Happy modification. This greatly limited the making of pirated copies and allowed for making a copy for playing for a person who had the original program/game (saving the original medium). The perfect solution to limit the circulation of pirates. I know that Happy used to be very popular in the US, so it wasn't fully respected. However, even fewer people had the knowledge and money for a Super Archiver with Bit Writer to be able to create bit copies of games and programs using an Atari 1050 station.

Regards: Zbiku

Think Philip Price himself answered this in another topic:

"The publisher called me a few months after release and said (1 they messed up on writing the weak bits on the disk and instead of writing them in the middle of the area that I allowed, they wrote it on the edge, thereby aggravating any manufacturing errors they might have), and then they ask me to send a few copies with my protection defeated (Because they had a few important buyers whose Ataris could not work with the protected version), so I said sure I can do it, I disabled it and sent the publisher a copy [and I always wonder if that was the first one pirated]"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Firebird said:

Hello, Many of the games released in the early 1980s had two versions. The first version was mostly secured using a synchronous format + double sectors on a synchronously formatted track or CRC, DDM sectors on a synchronous track. The second version of the games after about a year, sometimes two, were released and saved with 34 sector protection on the track. I have several original games, mainly from Electronic Arts, in two versions, sometimes the floppy disk envelopes have a different color and sometimes the stickers on the floppy disk have a different color.

The game released in 2 versions is definitely Seven Cities of Gold, One on One, I don't remember if I have M.U.L.E. in 2 versions

What you describe are the two copy protections used by Electronic Arts, usually called Skew Align and Supertrack. The only actual title we know that was released with both protections is Seven Cities of Gold. Electronic Arts changed the protection at some point, and probably Seven Cities was released just about that time. We checked many copies of both MULE and One on One, and all copies we seen had the same protection. MULE always the older one, and One on One always the newer one. If they were released with the "other" protection, then that particular release is pretty rare because we never found it.

I know that Happy used to be very popular in the US, so it wasn't fully respected. However, even fewer people had the knowledge and money for a Super Archiver with Bit Writer to be able to create bit copies of games and programs using an Atari 1050 station.

The SuperTrack protection could be copied with the Happy Discovery Cartridge for the ST. But not many people had both the cartridge and an ST 5.25 disk drive.

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

"... and then they ask me to send a few copies with my protection defeated (Because they had a few important buyers whose Ataris could not work with the protected version), so I said sure I can do it, I disabled it and sent the publisher a copy [and I always wonder if that was the first one pirated]"

Ah, I missed that comment by PP, many thanks. That indeed gives an authoritative explanation. Although it is not exact that he disabled the protection completely. He disabled only the check for the weak bits. There is another, less advanced, copy protection that it is still present on the disk and still verified by the software. Seems he forgot about that.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1

Fairly sure the AR City on Atarimania has a crack message from whoever initially pirated it.

The copy I have on floppy since not long after release - I'm fairly sure it has no such message.

I guess like most games there were multiple pirated sources as well as redistibutions of someone else's work with false claims of cracking credit.

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

Fairly sure the AR City on Atarimania has a crack message from whoever initially pirated it.

Not anymore.  I just downloaded it, and it has an ATX image for the first disk.  Using the atari800 emulator on Linux, I was able to create a new character, then it said to insert disk 1 side 2 and press START.  After that, it asked for disk 2 side 1, but it hung after accessing it.  I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Atarimania copy or if it's a problem  with the emulator.

What's odd about the Atarimania copy is that the time stamps on the disk images are inconsistent.  1-1 is from 2005 (the ATX image).  2-1 is from 2003.  Both side 2 images are from 1996.  Also, they have a page for both the Datasoft (USA) and US Gold (UK) releases, but both have the same zip file.

Would someone else try this and see if it works?

8 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

"Page 1: Do not 'Write Protect the game disks or your Character Disk. "

Thanks!

I bought this back in the day.  My Mom was going to buy Ultima V for me, but the computer store said it didn't exist for Atari, but this was the best option instead.  A friend eventually borrowed the disks and manual, and I never got them back, and I'm still upset about that now.  I have the original box, but nothing else.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:20 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

"The publisher called me a few months after release and said (1 they messed up on writing the weak bits on the disk and instead of writing them in the middle of the area that I allowed, they wrote it on the edge, thereby aggravating any manufacturing errors they might have), and then they ask me to send a few copies with my protection defeated (Because they had a few important buyers whose Ataris could not work with the protected version), so I said sure I can do it, I disabled it and sent the publisher a copy [and I always wonder if that was the first one pirated]"

In Poland, where I live, and about the games market that was here, I can write this. Games released by several publishers had weak bits - weak sectors. There were reading problems while loading, especially the first version of the Battle Ships game published by Spectra, if I remember correctly, had a notorious problem loading correctly on Atari 1050 stations because its originals were prepared on Califormnia Acerss 2001 and LDW 2000 stations with the Toms Multi Drive upgrade ( the second edition of the game published by Mirage Software already had weaker security precisely because of a problem with loading the game). The same applied to the games Gabi and Kuadryk published by Spectra Software, the games worked correctly on the Atari 1050 - because security was created on the 1050 station, and on the stations Ca 2001 and LDW 2000 no longer wanted to load properly. Therefore, when I started publishing games myself, I prepared two versions, for Atari 1050 and for other stations: CA 2001, LDW 2000, Atari XF551, the remaining stations were niche and very rare in Poland.

Best regards: Zbiku

On 1/25/2024 at 2:34 AM, ijor said:

What you describe are the two copy protections used by Electronic Arts, usually called Skew Align and Supertrack. The only actual title we know that was released with both protections is Seven Cities of Gold. Electronic Arts changed the protection at some point, and probably Seven Cities was released just about that time. We checked many copies of both MULE and One on One, and all copies we seen had the same protection. MULE always the older one, and One on One always the newer one. If they were released with the "other" protection, then that particular release is pretty rare because we never found it.

The SuperTrack protection could be copied with the Happy Discovery Cartridge for the ST. But not many people had both the cartridge and an ST 5.25 disk drive.

Ah, I missed that comment by PP, many thanks. That indeed gives an authoritative explanation. Although it is not exact that he disabled the protection completely. He disabled only the check for the weak bits. There is another, less advanced, copy protection that it is still present on the disk and still verified by the software. Seems he forgot about that.

Of course, you are right about the possibility of copying games from a small Atari to a large Atari - at that time, the Amiga and bit copying were great for this purpose, just like Super Archiver + Bit Writer did. Maybe it was a bit simpler, but the end result was the same. As for the different versions of games and their security features, when I receive the extended Atarynka + Atari 1050 station with Super Archiver and Bit Writer, I will have some time to compare the security features of different games and programs, but there are more than 1 games, that's for sure. Many of the games and programs were secured in a very cunning way, it was possible to transfer 1,2,3,5 security measures, but e.g. I protected the games myself, using 3-4 different types on one floppy disk to prevent individual extensions from being copied, and not many people bothered with security analysis (I'm not talking about cracking, but about their reproduction and faithful transfer). Not everyone had the knowledge, equipment, software and willingness to do it. I love analyzing what and how was done in my youth, and I have often tried to follow the path of the "masters" of their craft.

Best regards: Zbiku

6 hours ago, Firebird said:

As for the different versions of games and their security features, when I receive the extended Atarynka + Atari 1050 station with Super Archiver and Bit Writer, I will have some time to compare the security features of different games and programs, but there are more than 1 games, that's for sure. Many of the games and programs were secured in a very cunning way, it was possible to transfer 1,2,3,5 security measures ...

I didn't say that only one Atari 8-bit title was released with multiple protections. Of course that many games were released with multiple protections. I said that, as far as we know, Seven Cities of Gold is the only title published by Electronic Arts with both protections that this publisher used. All MULE copies we found have the older EA protection, the so called Skew Align. And all One on One copies we found have the newer EA protection with 34 sectors. More generally, all EA titles older than Seven Cities were released with the older protection, and all titles newer than Seven Cities were released with the newer protection.

A couple older EA titles have two different software copy protection versions. EA fixed an issue with the very first version that was incompatible with XL/XE computers. But they changed only the software side of the protection. The on disk protection remained the same. Lastly, most EA titles were released in Europe with a completely different copy protection, but not by EA, by different publishers.

Edited by ijor