IGNORED

Looking for 6532 Riot chip and advice

Bzerk

As the title says, I'm looking for this chip. I bought a Vader a while back and had nothing but problems with it since then. The BW switch used to work but does not anymore, some games (like Oink!) are not working properly and/or crash and on top of that, the Harmony Cart I just bought just won't boot. Anyway, I was looking for advice and/or to purchase one here. Yes, I've already emailed Best-Electronics.

I've seen this kind of chips on eBay : https://tinyurl.com/ybfzltho and I was wondering if they are legit and compatible with the 2600 ?

If you aren't already aware, you should know that the Vader's chips are usually not socketed, but instead soldered in. So you're looking at quite a chore to desolder the existing RIOT chip. I know that's not a big deal from some folks, but it is for others (myself included!)

I have a light sixer here that needs a good RIOT myself (one joystick port pulls to the left, problem follows the RIOT chip when moved.) So I may well give your Ebay link a try. Thanks!!!

I finally cancelled my purchase, because I found out that like an idiot, I had the difficulty switch on difficult, and it was messing up some of my games. And for the Harmony, I realized that the software I used to update its BIOS was ''badly'' installed, so I reinstalled it, reflashed it, and it works like a charm now. The only problem that I still have now is that a few games (like Pitfall, Chopper Command and Towering Inferno) are only in black and white. My switch is probably the problem since it does not work whenever I use it.

(Oh, and I opened my Vader and it already had a socket in it, by the way, haha)

Edited by Bzerk

Glad to hear you didn't need the RIOT. Were all three chips socketed on your Vader or just the RIOT? (Either is unusual!)

As for your switch, that should be an easy fix. My preferred method is a shot of Deoxit, then some vigorous switching. That should fix it right there, but for added longevity, a dab of dielectric grease applied to the four visible contacts, followed by more vigorous switching, should keep any 2600 switch working for a while.

I'm sure some folks would recommend disassembling the switch for a deeper cleaning, but that can be difficult, especially getting the spring back in place for the Select and Reset switches!

I generally apply my method to all six switches when refurbing a console, although I do sometimes skip the B/W switch as it rarely has a problem... it's usually one (or all) of the other ones that have issues! :-)