IGNORED

Convert .cas to .wav - A8CAS help?

gladders

Hi all,

Can someone guide me through how to convert files using A8CAS?

I've been here: http://a8cas.sourceforge.net/ and downloaded A8CAStools. I tried to download libsndfile which it apparently needs, but while the Windows version insists on a donation, I can't find a Linux version? If that makes sense.

Anyway, I've gone into command prompt and told it to convert file.cas to file.wav, but the resulting .wav is unreadable by Media Player.

I tried tracking down the really old castowav but it doesn't appear to be available anymore.

Really confused, thanks.

Gladders, I am also confused, because you haven't stated if your intention is to use a8cas with Microsoft Windows or GNU/Linux.

If it is Microsoft Windows, then all you need are windows binaries - https://sourceforge.net/projects/a8cas/files/a8cas-tools/1.3.1/a8cas-tools-1.3.1-liba8cas-1.5.0-win32.zip/download

To convert a tape image (.cas) to a WAVE file (.wav), the command line is the following (note the -fs option that indicates the output file is a sound file):

a8cas-convert.exe -fs file.cas output.wav

For GNU/Linux, you will have to compile from source code.

1. Using package manager of your distribution, install the libsndfile-dev package (or similar name, sometimes it is libsndfile1-dev).

2. Download liba8cas sources and install them (./configure make make install)

3. Run ldconfig

3. Download a8cas-tools sources and install them (./configure make make install)

CAS2WAV and WAV2CAS are outdated, you might even need to run them with DOSBox. These tools do not support FSK chunks in the tape images.

If looking for a GUI-based solution, you can try Turgen System and its Tape Image plugin. But it is really a heavyweight tool.

• Like 2

Gladders, I am also confused, because you haven't stated if your intention is to use a8cas with Microsoft Windows or GNU/Linux.

If it is Microsoft Windows, then all you need are windows binaries - https://sourceforge.net/projects/a8cas/files/a8cas-tools/1.3.1/a8cas-tools-1.3.1-liba8cas-1.5.0-win32.zip/download

To convert a tape image (.cas) to a WAVE file (.wav), the command line is the following (note the -fs option that indicates the output file is a sound file):

a8cas-convert.exe -fs file.cas output.wav

For GNU/Linux, you will have to compile from source code.

1. Using package manager of your distribution, install the libsndfile-dev package (or similar name, sometimes it is libsndfile1-dev).

2. Download liba8cas sources and install them (./configure make make install)

3. Run ldconfig

3. Download a8cas-tools sources and install them (./configure make make install)

CAS2WAV and WAV2CAS are outdated, you might even need to run them with DOSBox. These tools do not support FSK chunks in the tape images.

If looking for a GUI-based solution, you can try Turgen System and its Tape Image plugin. But it is really a heavyweight tool.

Thanks baktra. I have a dual-boot system so can try either but prefer Windows. The website instructions confused me as it seemed to suggest you needed both on Windows to make it work.

I just tried the command example you gave for Boulder Dash and it created a .wav but it wouldn't launch in WMP - just hanged the system :(

I am trying Turgen System now. Need to install Java Runtime, which again hanged for ages. Seems sometimes doing tasks like this is like pulling teeth.

Drat. Confused again.

In Turgenev, clicked 'Add', chose 'boulder_dash.cas', but telling it to convert to .wav it says 'binary file header not found'.

Help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello Gladders,

as you are converting a tape image (and not a binary load file), then please use the Tape Image Plugin to perform the conversion.

post-12760-0-19754300-1513331131.png

I am also wondering why you have trouble playing back the wave file created with a8cas. Perhaps you can compress it with zip and attach here for investigation. Though the WAV file format specification is fairly complex, I doubt a8cas generates malformed files.

And, by the way, TURGEN stands for "TUrbo tape GENerator" , has nothing to do with the famous Russian writer (or at least not yet, perhaps he traveled in time and invented another hardware enhancement for our data recorders too).

Use the Turgen system. Far more user friendly and works like a charm

But never underestimate a8cas. For certain tasks, a command line tool is invaluable (well, Turgen has batch processing, but it is clumsy compared to command line).

And a8cas has fewer command line options than Microsoft Window's DIR command :-)

And as Gladders is a GNU/Linux user, he might find also a8cas-util useful too.

Edited by baktra

Thanks Baktra. I'm not really much of a Linux user. Well, I probably would be, but my laptop's wifi driver seems to malfunction in Linux (it connects for a bit at boot to my wifi, but inevitably cuts off a few minutes later). So windows is what I'm with for now.

Thanks for your help. I successfully created a WAV file that WMP likes, and recorded it to my cassette recorder via headphone jack.

I put it in my 800XL and it says boot error. Googling suggests it's a problem with the tape drive itself, but the 1010 is in excellent condition and loads BASIC programs I've saved to it with no trouble. The ancient Grundig tape recorder could be the problem, but it has saved Amstrad games before successfully.

Any help?

Hmmm.

1. Please share your .cas file

2. Do you get BOOT ERROR immediately after reading first block, or later (some blocks load and then you get BOOT ERROR)

3. Contemporary tapes tend to have longer leader tapes than in the past. Do you fast forward few counter units before you start booting from tape?

4. Is your Grunding Cassette Recorder mono or stereo?. If mono, then I would suggest configuring Turgen to output MONO wave files (Tools/Preferences/Wave Generator/Number of channels)

5. When recording directly from the computer, is your WMP and sound card configured to produce no effects (No 3D sound, no equalizer, No environment emulation, no enhanced stereo, no crossfade, no silence truncation)?

6. Isn't your recording accidentally disturbed by notification bubbles (you have to turn all system sounds off)?.

Sorry If i am stating the obvious, but all these items are to be checked.

Edited by baktra
  • Like 1

The website instructions confused me as it seemed to suggest you needed both on Windows to make it work.

I have updated the website to avoid the confusion. Thanks for describing the problem.

I just tried the command example you gave for Boulder Dash and it created a .wav but it wouldn't launch in WMP - just hanged the system :(

Please provide the version of a8cas-tools package that you used, the exact command line you typed, the source CAS file and, if possible, the resulting WAV file. It really bothers me that the tool produced an incorrect WAV file. Although your description of hanging the system instead of, say only locking the WMP, suggests there might also be something wrong with your system. What verison of Windows and WMP are you using?

The strength of A8CAS lies in aiding conversion to CAS from recordings of original tapes of varying quality. It is also useful for converting the other way, but I tend to agree that Turgen is more user-friendly for that purpose.

• Like 2

Hmmm.

1. Please share your .cas file

2. Do you get BOOT ERROR immediately after reading first block, or later (some blocks load and then you get BOOT ERROR)

3. Contemporary tapes tend to have longer leader tapes than in the past. Do you fast forward few counter units before you start booting from tape?

4. Is your Grunding Cassette Recorder mono or stereo?. If mono, then I would suggest configuring Turgen to output MONO wave files (Tools/Preferences/Wave Generator/Number of channels)

5. When recording directly from the computer, is your WMP and sound card configured to produce no effects (No 3D sound, no equalizer, No environment emulation, no enhanced stereo, no crossfade, no silence truncation)?

6. Isn't your recording accidentally disturbed by notification bubbles (you have to turn all system sounds off)?.

Sorry If i am stating the obvious, but all these items are to be checked.

Cas attached. I get BOOT ERROR after some blocks have passed. I have indeed tried to mitigate the long delay at the start of tapes.

I'm honestly unsure about whether it's mono or stereo but I have a stereo-to-mono adapter on the jack anyway.

Not sure how to check number 5, it's a pretty old and crappy laptop...there is a high pitched hiss or whistle, in the background of the recording though.

I've definitely turned all other sounds off.

Thanks for your help!

boulder_dash.zip

I have updated the website to avoid the confusion. Thanks for describing the problem.

Please provide the version of a8cas-tools package that you used, the exact command line you typed, the source CAS file and, if possible, the resulting WAV file. It really bothers me that the tool produced an incorrect WAV file. Although your description of hanging the system instead of, say only locking the WMP, suggests there might also be something wrong with your system. What verison of Windows and WMP are you using?

The strength of A8CAS lies in aiding conversion to CAS from recordings of original tapes of varying quality. It is also useful for converting the other way, but I tend to agree that Turgen is more user-friendly for that purpose.

Thanks Ktr0ki. Turns it out was my own fault. I thought I had it launching to WMP by default but instead it was launching Groove :woozy: it was hanging Groove at launch, not the system. Poor wording on my part.

Cas attached. I get BOOT ERROR after some blocks have passed. I have indeed tried to mitigate the long delay at the start of tapes.

I'm honestly unsure about whether it's mono or stereo but I have a stereo-to-mono adapter on the jack anyway.

Not sure how to check number 5, it's a pretty old and crappy laptop...there is a high pitched hiss or whistle, in the background of the recording though.

I've definitely turned all other sounds off.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the answers.

The tape image doesn't contain any specialties.

I have tried the Groove media player with generated WAVE file and it doesn't appear to do any nasty things with the signal.

About that hiss (whistle)...

I hope you are not confusing this with the leader signal. The .cas tape image contains two files inside - 1. Exclamation mark loader, 2. Boulder dash as a binary load file. Each file begins with 20 seconds of a leader signal, that is just a high pitched tone. To "catch up", the computer needs to read at least of 10 seconds of that signal.

One possibility is to use your ears. First listen to the generated wave file on your computer (there should be no hiss or other unwanted signal). Then record it to tape and listen to the recording from tape. Compare with your ears if there are some significant differences.

Also, you state that the computer can read at least few blocks. After four blocks, the computer should display an exclamation mark. Is the exclamation mark displayed or does it fail even before? What do you hear when the first blocks are read. Is it sound 1 (screeching) or sound 2 (screeching+beeping)?

sound1.mp3

sound2.mp3

Edited by baktra

And one more thing to the stereo-to-mono adapter.

If the Grundig recorder happens to be stereo... Doesn't the stereo-to-mono adapter result in signal in left channel only? In that case, nothing can be loaded, because the Atari data recorder is a stereo one and decodes data from the right channel only (left channel is just passed through to the computer's audio output).

True mono recording is OK, because for the data recorder, it is perceived as the same signal in both channels.

To be sure, there is a "brute force solution"

1. Do not use the stereo-to-mono adapter.

2. In Turgen, Select Tools/Preferences/Wave Generator and then. a) Set number of channels to 2, b) De-select the "Signal in right channel only" option and generate the WAVE file again. This will generate signal in both channels.

Thanks for the answers.

The tape image doesn't contain any specialties.

I have tried the Groove media player with generated WAVE file and it doesn't appear to do any nasty things with the signal.

About that hiss (whistle)...

I hope you are not confusing this with the leader signal. The .cas tape image contains two files inside - 1. Exclamation mark loader, 2. Boulder dash as a binary load file. Each file begins with 20 seconds of a leader signal, that is just a high pitched tone. To "catch up", the computer needs to read at least of 10 seconds of that signal.

One possibility is to use your ears. First listen to the generated wave file on your computer (there should be no hiss or other unwanted signal). Then record it to tape and listen to the recording from tape. Compare with your ears if there are some significant differences.

Also, you state that the computer can read at least few blocks. After four blocks, the computer should display an exclamation mark. Is the exclamation mark displayed or does it fail even before? What do you hear when the first blocks are read. Is it sound 1 (screeching) or sound 2 (screeching+beeping)?

No exclamation mark - just BOOT ERROR. It happens after a few seconds of screeching and beeping.

Hi all, an update.

I made sure Turgen wrote in 2-channel. To be sure my computer wasn't interfering with the sound I put the WAV files on my iPod. No improvement.

I tried recording tapes for my Amstrad and my C64 and 2 out of 5 games worked. So it sounds like the tape recorder may be the issue.

I'll seek a new one out and see.

The one attached.

It seems to play back tapes fine, as I have some original Electron tapes that mostly work (half don't, I'm pretty sure it's the age of the tapes though). And it has some success with Amstrad tapes.

There's a modern tape deck available in the shop downtown but I tried it a year ago and the results were awful, but people on the various Facebook groups I am on seem to swear by it!

post-41793-0-96242200-1513615835_thumb.jpg

Edited by gladders

The machine is definitely MONO.

An experiment that could be worthwile:

1. Record the signal from iPod to cassette, rewind the cassette

2. Connect the recorder's EAR output and computer's LINE in

3. Launch audacity, start sampling and play the cassette back

4. Save the sampled signal to .WAV and try reading it with Altirra.

This will just check if the recorded signal is OK or not.

• 2 months later...