IGNORED

Original X-Box (Unleash X modded ) won't stay turned off

GoldenWheels

I have a nice Unleash X modded original X box. A while back it started turning back on as soon as I shut the system off via the menu. I looked into every setting and there is not "Auto turn on" feature or anything like that.

So I google...and it looks like original Xboxes have trace corrosion problems that can cause this exact issue. Now, I am not sure this is the exact issue, but it sure seems very, very likely.

My question are two fold, and one of them is pretty stupid:

1 (stupid question first): If I bought another original Xbox and simply put the hard drive from my current one in it...would that work? Like, would it just fire up as Unleash X? I'm assuming yes but...

2: Is there anyone reputable that can repair this issue? I can solder ok but this fix, while not hard, is more than Ive done before (I've soldered up new wiring and stuff but never worked on existing PCBs).

Yep - trace corrosion.

I'd say #1 is cheap enough (getting another working Xbox) that you could just attempt it and see what happens. Typically you have to do something to get the new XBox to take the HD, but since it is already modded, it might just work. Otherwise you are going to have to research that specific to the Unleash X mod. I don't know anything about that one.

I have an Xbox with the same problem, and I have doing the fix on my ToDo list, but I also have other working models and it keeps getting de-prioritized. I missed the modded Xbox craze and now it kinda seems pointless with other options available.

Maybe just spend some time setting up emulators on a computer and consider if you even want to keep using a different computer (what the Xbox really is) from 2001. You might get things set up faster and get into playing games quicker that way than either #1 or #2. I have an old laptop where I took off the screen and have it plugged straight into my TV. Works great for emulation and runs an OS that I already know how to manipulate easily. It can also run Steam!

• Like 1

Thanks Wongo. I'm reading now online that another Xbox may NOT take the hard drive. Argh.

I kind of want to keep this thing going for a few reasons. I have money in it already (bought less than 5 years ago), it is already fully loaded, it plugs into my TV easily via component, and (with converters) I can use tons of different arcade sticks.

And I hate setting up emulators and ROMs!!!!

• Like 1

You will need to repair the traces (not especially easy job). The drive will not just go into another XBOX, they are locked. Even if your XBOX is flashed and the drive is not locked, any replacement system you get likely will be.

You will need to softmod it and TSOP flash if you want (I never bother, I just keep the original EEPROM and zero it out so they all match the same keys).

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 1