IGNORED

How much is a Geneve worth?

AMenard

Hi,

I'm presently offered one but I don't know how much they're worth. Can anyone tell me a in the ballpark estimate of how much I should pay for one?

It really depends on if the Geneve is stock or what upgrades it has on it. The value can also be determined by who owned it last. I have seen them go for anywhere from $325.00 to almost $1000.00 just for the card. Also this time of year tends to push them up some for price.

it took me a while to score one and i'm glad I did. There is something to say about real hardware...

there are a few monitors (flat panels) that have the SCART interface that it can be wired up to work with and it looks amazing.

I'm currently experimenting with a SCART to HDMI interface that JediMatt has had good luck with.

give us some more info of what type of Geneve it is as far as upgrades, etc. don't have to tell us who is offering it but it would let some of us gage a better value for you. Insane Multitasker could definitely give you a good figure..

• Like 1

at the Chicago Faire 2016 there were two Geneve PEB Cards sold for 80 dollar each.

The Chicago ones were sold as is. I bought one of them and it was not functional although I have managed to revive it after some surgery with guidance from InsaneMultitasker :) They tend to be pretty fragile boards, so scoring one that is fully working is definitely worth a lot more.

• Like 2

Price, availability, additional monitor expense... sadly this is one route that I"ll never be able to experience.

yes obtaining a Geneve can be a costly item. If you either cannot afford the expense or it many cases there just are not that many that come available you can always get a decent experience from the MESS Geneve emulation. Which I can say the emulation works pretty damn good. I have even connected out through the Geneve emulation and Serial Bridge to Heatwave...

I don't think I'm really that interested in getting a Geneve... While I've always wanted to own a TI-99/4a setup, I never even known anything about the Geneve until I read about it here and reddit.

Beside I've spent enough money for 2017 and reading some post from the guy who offered me the Geneve on Facebook, I'm not even sure if it's fully functional or not. He seem to have decided to sell it on eBay in any case.

Price, availability, additional monitor expense... sadly this is one route that I"ll never be able to experience.

All you need is MESS/MAME to give it a whirl ;)

give us some more info of what type of Geneve it is as far as upgrades, etc. don't have to tell us who is offering it but it would let some of us gage a better value for you. Insane Multitasker could definitely give you a good figure..

Typical value is $300-$500 range. The fragility of the board, installed enhancements, socket vs. not socketed, and general condition are all factors. The special chips needed to repair cards are in short supply; neither swim4home nor myself sell these parts outright anymore, as we have elected to "protect" the last remaining parts for repairs only, versus allowing the parts to be scooped up by collectors or those out to make a few dollars

• Like 1

Tim,

If I took pictures of of the boards on my 2 Geneves, would you be able to tell if they need upgrading? I am sure you touched both back in the days of Cecure, but I don't know what they both might need. I need to get one of them hooked up again but I'm waiting for a possible MFM SD emulator or if I could find another SCSI card.

Yes. If they are in a clamshell, carefully remove the card and take pictures of the front and rear. If the cards are in the TI metal/composite clamshells, take pictures of the insides of the shells (the TI clamshells are conductive and care must be taken when any Myarc card is placed in one). You can send the pics me via PM or post in this threar.

(My best guess is that at minimum 25-30% of the total Geneve population made its way to Don or myself before and during the Myarc repair years.).