IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

Weekend Times (Sat-Sun)

VCS:

Breakout (20 minutes)

Circus Atari (30 minutes)

Laser Blast (330 minutes)

Super Breakout (120 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

St. Nick (30 minutes)

Tried for the 1,000,000 patch on laser Blast... 7 hours is just too damn long to sit in front of a screen with no pausing, etc. I made it 5 hours and hit 755,000

More zen Breakout fun as well.

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 5

I think I temporarily lost my Mojo. My last high score on Kaboom! was around 1500. LOL I did switch from 1st player to 2nd player because my first player paddle got

very jittery even after spraying with Wd40. Maybe I'm having trouble adjusting to the 2nd player paddle.

• Like 3

Personally, I think that is a situation where using the emulator for pause and save states is perfectly acceptable. You gotta pee and stuff.

I don't know, brother... these patches were given out at a time well before save states were around... I feel like to earn it, you've got to do it as it was done in the 80s.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but part of the challenge of hitting a Millie is the stamina, endurance, preparation, and pain.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 22, running from May 28 - June 3. We logged 5875 minutes of eligible play, playing 70 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Army Men 3D (PlayStation) - 786

2. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 710

3. Alcazar - The Forgotten Fortress (ColecoVision) - 539

4. Laser Blast (Atari 2600) - 330

5. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 234

6. Rescue Copter (PlayStation) - 225

7. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy) - 220

8. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 188

8. Super Cobra Arcade (Atari 2600) - 188

10. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 175

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 710

2. Alcazar - The Forgotten Fortress (ColecoVision) - 539

3. Laser Blast (Atari 2600) - 330

4. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 234

5. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 188

5. Super Cobra Arcade (Atari 2600) - 188

7. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 175

8. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 134

9. 2010: The Graphic Action Game (ColecoVision) - 133

10. Gorf (Atari 5200) - 121

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (2581)

2. PlayStation (1025)

3. ColecoVision (692)

4. Game Boy (385)

5. Genesis (371)

6. Atari 8-bit (249)

7. Atari 7800 (127)

8. Sega Master System (125)

9. Atari 5200 (121)

10. NES/Famicom (89)

This week those little green men reach the top of the Top 10, as Army Men 3D gets the #1 spot. Not far behind is Super Breakout, which takes the pre-NES crown and leads the VCS to system dominance.

• Like 7

Colecovision

Alcazar: The Forgotten Fortress 539

I stumbled into Alcazar just testing out Coleco games on the Ultimate flashcard. I was really surprised at how great a game it is. @TheGoldenBand, I think you would really like this one. It plays a lot like AD&D Cloudy Mountain with a mix of elements from other games like Wolfenstein. The enemies are procedurally generated so every game is different, and the difficulty ramps up nicely while the higher level game variations add more obstacles and items to use in your quest to sit on the throne of the Alcazar. Check out the thread I started to share tips and show my appreciation for this game here.

Hey, thanks for mentioning that! I played Alcazar a little bit in emulation ages ago, though I never got far. I can see the resemblance to Cloudy Mountain, and was also reminded of the Apshai games and even Legend of Zelda a bit. I'll have to renew my acquaintance with the game, and check out your thread. :)

• Like 4

I don't know, brother... these patches were given out at a time well before save states were around... I feel like to earn it, you've got to do it as it was done in the 80s.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but part of the challenge of hitting a Millie is the stamina, endurance, preparation, and pain.

I don't remember any "official" patches for getting to 1 million on any game. Was there really one of those for Laser Blast? Usually the patches were for much more reasonable scores.

• Like 2

Not a super active week for me on games Monday through Friday.

VCS:

Breakout (10 minutes)

Skiing (30 minutes)

Super Breakout: game variation #7 (120 minutes)

NES:

Faxanadu (45 minutes)

Top Gun (30 minutes)

TI-99/4A;

Borzork (15 minutes)

Popeye (20 minutes)

TI Invaders (10 minutes)

Yahtzee (20 minutes)

A lot of outdoors time for me this week, and will likely extend into the weekend. Yahtzee on the TI is such a well-done game, I had forgotten how good it really was. :)

• Like 6

Amiga 500

Ports of Call: 210 min

So I stumbled across this Ports of Call Game DVD on a flea market recently. It's a modern remake I don't really care for. But something on the back cover caught my attention: the original Amiga version was included, so I thought "Why not?". Installation worked like a charm and I got sucked into the game for a few hours. I was surprised how well the "parking" worked for me. I remember we were extremely frustrated by that part back in the early Amiga days. I must say that all the harbour maneuvering and the iceberg evasion lost their novelty after those few hours and I uninstalled the game for now. But still, I consider it a worthwhile trip down memory lane.

One Euro for 3 1/2 hours of entertainment. Very well spent, I would say :-).

• Like 5

Neo Geo (MVS):

The Last Blade - 45 minutes

MSX2:

Vampire Killer - 30 minutes

Yeah, all of two games.

So have you ever had that feeling where you built something and you're happy with it but you know you could do better? That's exactly what I'm thinking right now.

Forever ago I decided to make a supergun setup which while it works is a complete mess of exposed PCBs, wires, and harnesses - it's nice but it's not really clean or safe. So, I'm thinking - a Neo Geo MVS1B board is all of like $50 and shipping on eBay, maybe I could make a CMVS that's actually clean instead of a messy supergun setup? I do enjoy the Neo Geo - I mean I enjoy The Last Blade anyways since that's what I played - so I thought that if the price isn't too bad once I add everything else on top of the board price that it would be a good route to go. I always wanted to properly consolize an arcade PCB but I love my Splatterhouse board too much to want to do this to it, so maybe a cheap-ish Neo Geo setup would be workable as it's well-documented, JAMMA, and there's a big enough crowd that I figure if I screw up I can get a quick answer. If not a MVS then I'd really love to do a Tetris: The Grand Master board but those cost a bit more.

The MSX2 got dragged out to play around with Vampire Killer because it's been on the shelf staring at my face for the past year and I rarely touch it, I mean I like Castlevania anyways so it's always fun. I ended up sitting there messing with BASIC for a while which is something I haven't done and I have to say, that is pretty entertaining.

So yeah, that's the week. I figure the 'ol 18th birthday is next week so maybe I'll go get myself something nice (like an arcade board lol) and play some games, eh who knows. I've really wanted to get the PDP-8 stuff working again so I'm going to make that a goal to get running again and I would like to just mess with the old Lisa again but it's currently in West Virginia on-display at a museum and I'm not sure if I want to drive for twelve hours there and then twelve more back just to play a Chess game.

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (June 4th through 10th) on classic games...

VIC-20:

Q*bert - 41 min.

ZX-Spectrum:

Q*bert (Prototype) - 21 min.

This week I tried both the VIC-20 and Spectrum versions of Q*bert. The VIC-20 version has a pretty bad display (the game characters all appear in black blocks on the cube tops), and the difficulty progression is a bit different to the original as well in that towards the end of a level, the speed picks up greatly (thus the end of Level 3 gets pretty chaotic so you can't always tell which creature's which). Also the bad guys jumping against the cube have got a different logic... in the rounds where they appear, you should only jump on the leftmost and rightmost cube on the bottom line if they are already on screen somewhere, otherwise they may strike at any time (same problem as with the Videopac version).

The Spectrum version, working with somewhat similar display qualities, has got a much nicer display, but a different problem in that the speed is highly inconsistent, it even seems to be inconsistent regarding the relative speed of the characters to each other. Also the sounds and music are highly off.

• Like 5

My times for the week:

Sega Master System:
Columns - 51 min.
Genesis:
Davis Cup World Tour Tennis - 250 min.
Game Boy:
Scotland Yard - 1 min.
Soreyuke!! Amida-Kun - 139 min.
N64:
All-Star Tennis 99 - 179 min.
Army Men: Air Combat - 79 min.
Beat All-Star Tennis 99 (again), Columns, and Soreyuke!! Amida-Kun. Thoughts on all of them here.
Otherwise I kept progressing in Davis Cup World Tour Tennis, and started working on another game in the Army Men series.
  • Like 5