IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

My times for the week...

Mario Bros. - 20 min (Still my favorite version of Mario Bros.)

TurboGrafx-16

Galaga '90 - 44 min (The more I play, the more I'm convinced that my previous high score was a fluke. I haven't even gotten half way to it again.)

Legendary Axe - 21 min (I beat this back in the day... just played until my first game over this time around. And didn't even try on my last man.)

Playstation (all emulated)

Castlevania Chronicles - 15 min (The way this started off, I thought it would be little more than a visual upgrade to the original NES Castlevania... that second level proved me completely wrong. And why were all those hunchbacks hiding where there was supposed to be a wall roast?)

King's Field II - 16 min (Had this one back in the day. Slow slow slow first person rpg kinda deal with terrible draw distance. Everything just turns black after a certain distance. Also, said I didn't have enough space to save, so gonna have to figure out memory card maintenance on ePSXe emulator...)

RayStorm - 3 min (Just played it long enough to check that the ROM worked. I know I've played Layer Section for the Saturn somehow, but didn't find it on my emulator front end, so will have to dig some...)

Thunder Force V - 3 min (Again, just played long enough to check that the ROM worked. No idea what I'm doing on this one yet. Got a game over before I had the controls figured out. lol)

• Like 6

My times for the week...

King's Field II - 16 min (Had this one back in the day. Slow slow slow first person rpg kinda deal with terrible draw distance. Everything just turns black after a certain distance. Also, said I didn't have enough space to save, so gonna have to figure out memory card maintenance on ePSXe emulator...)

Great game! Loved it and Kings Field. Still need to get the very 1st one that only released in Japan and the PS2 game

• Like 4

Got some more Dragster time in. Please add these minutes to the previously posted minutes.

Atari 2600

Dragster (25 min).

2iw6nvq.jpg

Evidently you find this game as easy as...hmmm...

...there must be a way to finish that half-baked sentence, but I just can't figure out what word should be filling in the blank. Oh, well, as long as the weekly times are squared away, I'm sure I'll have the right area.

• Like 6

It was a pretty good week for gaming around here this past week, especially for the misses who beat 3 different Sega Genesis / CD games! :o

BnDMwWl.jpg

Ineligible
3D Classics: Xevious (Nintendo 3DS) - 15 minutes
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo 3DS) - 195 minutes

Atari 2600
Beamrider - 56 minutes

NES
Life Force (Played on Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console) - 11 minutes

Sega 32X
Virtua Racing Deluxe - 68 minutes

Sega CD
Ecco: The Tides of Time - 182 minutes
Samurai Shodown - 216 minutes

Sega Genesis
Dragon's Fury (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 117 minutes
Samurai Shodown (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 82 minutes
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 7 minutes
Sonic the Hedgehog (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 105 minutes
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 248 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,302 minutes (21 hours 42 minutes) [1,092 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Sega Genesis: 559 minutes
Sega CD: 398 minutes
Nintendo 3DS: 210 minutes
Sega 32X: 68 minutes
Atari 2600: 56 minutes
NES: 11 minutes

I think I'll start off this week's wrap up a little differently than usual and talk about what the spousal unit played first, since she was responsible for the majority of time spent gaming in our household this past week. First she finished off the game she was working on at the end of last week, Ecco: The Tides of Time for the Sega CD. She enjoyed the game a lot and was really pleased by the slightly reduced difficulty in comparison with the original Ecco the Dolphin, and she beat it without too much trouble.

Her one major complaint about Ecco: The Tides of Time though was that upon completing the game she was presented with a screen that said "Try playing the game without the cheat mode.", which she was utterly confused by since she never used cheats at all during the course of her play through and didn't even know there was a cheat mode. After doing a bit of research we discovered that the Ecco: The Tides of Time always gives you that screen at the end if you use the password save feature at any point during your play through, so to get the ending without it you'd need to beat the game in one long play through without stopping; which is kind of ridiculous since it took the misses around 12 hours to complete the game. Fortunately you still get to see the normal (albeit extremely unsatisfying) ending even if you do use saves, you just don't get the special password that was meant to be able to be entered Ecco the Dolphin 3 game for the Genesis that was never actually released. So the only thing you miss by using saves is a password for a non-existent game. :lol: Ultimately the misses did enjoy Ecco: The Tides of Time, but felt that the original Ecco the Dolphin was better in spite of it's higher difficulty simply due to the story and ending being more satisfying in the original.

After finishing Ecco: The Tides of time she went on to play through and beat the original Sonic the Hedgehog with all 6 chaos emeralds collected, then the following day beat Sonic 2 with all 7 chaos emeralds collected. The latter accomplishment really blew me away, because in the entire 25 years I've been playing Sonic 2 for I have never once managed to collect all 7 chaos emeralds (5 was the most I had ever gotten) so I had never seen the good ending that you get if you collect them all before. Needless to say I was glued to the TV screen watching her finish Sonic 2! Other than Ecco and the two Sonic games the only other game the spousal unit played this past week was Devil's Crush—errrm, I mean "Dragon's Fury"—for the Genesis, which we spent a couple hours playing together in a little high score competition yesterday morning. It was a close match but after a dozen or so games each my wife won with a score of 14,616,200, narrowly beating out my high score of 13,171,400. It was still a ton of fun playing it with her though and we'll have to give Dragon's Fury another go in the near future. Satanic pinball is always fun for the whole family! :D (Maybe it's for the best that we don't have children.)

As far as my gaming time for the past week goes, it was really just a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I ended up spending Monday and Thursday night in the E.R. once again for some adverse reactions to the antibiotics that I've been on for last week's bout of diverticulitis, which wasn't all bad since I brought my 3DS along with and made a bit more progress in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D while I was stuck in a hospital bed. Other than that I just played some Samurai Shodown for the Genesis and Sega CD (my thoughts on those games can be found here), got in a little practice in Virtua Racing Deluxe on Normal difficulty, and spent about an hour playing Beamrider for the Atari 2600 High Score Club. It was a pretty uneventful week for me gaming wise, though I am happy to be able to say that I think I'm finally starting to recover from the diverticulitis and should be in much better shape by this time next week.

Well, I think that about covers everything for this week! I'm not sure what I'll be playing next week, though I do know that the misses plans to play Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Since she's already beaten Sonic 1 & 2 with all the chaos emeralds she wants to do the same for the remainder of the Sonic games on the Genesis, and I have no doubt that she'll succeed since she's always been good at those games and has been feeling really enthused about playing all the classic Sonic games after watching both seasons of the Sonic SatAM cartoon over the past month. Who knows, maybe I'll join her and see if I can beat Sonic Spinball. I always loved that game as a kid, though I don't think I've ever beaten it.

In any case, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Commodore 64

Galencia: 65 min

This is a homebrew game I bought after reading about it in RETURN (german retrogame magazine). It came in an awesome, very sturdy glossy box, excellent artwork, lots of goodies in the box and a full colour manual. I bought the disk AND cart version. Looks absolutely fantastic!

Oh yeah... it's a Galaga clone, but with lots of extra stuff, like asteroid fields, cutscenes, a great intro screen, good music and lots of options. Definetly recommended. High-quality!

• Like 5

He already tried to blow air, use a q-tip with alcohol and per a personal message, also tried the rubber eraser to no avail. I suppose his BurgerTime cart might be a dud or at least some other/more serious fault than just dirty connector. I suppose tracks may be broken which could be visually inspected and perhaps repaired. (using a conductive pen?)

Thanks Carlson for the pencil eraser advice. It didnt work on the burger time cart but worked on beamrider.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 5, running from January 29 - February 4. We logged 4934 minutes of eligible play, playing 57 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Dragon Warrior II (NES/Famicom) - 727

2. Werewolves and Wanderers (TI-99/4A) - 460

3. Qix (Atari 8-bit) - 373

4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 259

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - 248

6. Samurai Shodown (Sega CD) - 216

7. Wizard of Wor (Atari 2600) - 203

8. Ecco: Tides of Time (Sega CD) - 182

9. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 176

10. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 170

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Werewolves and Wanderers (TI-99/4A) - 460

2. Qix (Atari 8-bit) - 373

3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 259

4. Wizard of Wor (Atari 2600) - 203

5. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 176

6. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 170

7. Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 128

8. JetPac (TI-99/4A) - 120

9. Dragster (Atari 2600) - 108

10. Old Dark Caves (TI-99/4A) - 90

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1217)

2. NES/Famicom (843)

3. TI-99/4A (810)

4. Genesis (559)

5. Sega CD (398)

6. Atari 8-bit (373)

7. C64 (135)

8. Emerson Arcadia 2001 (125)

9. Atari 7800 (96)

10. Arcade (78)

Dragon Warrior II returns to the peak of the charts, while new TI-99/4A homebrew Werewolves and Wanderers tops the pre-NES lineup, and the Atari 2600 is the #1 system.

Meanwhile we get our 318th member of the 1000-minute club, as Galaga '90 (aka Galaga '88) for the TG-16/PC Engine reaches 1018 minutes logged to date.

• Like 6

I beat Hunchy 2!! I thought level 15 was another play screen, but it turns out that level 14 is the last screen and level 15 is the win scene. I played through a second time to level 7

but lost my concentration because I was so happy to have won. I will post a score with my times later.

And it didn't take me 100,000 minutes. LOL

Edited by Atarian7
  • Like 5

Atari 2600

Beamrider: 25 min

Commodore 64

Archon: 18 min

Galencia: 50 min

Mr. Robot: 6 min

Played for some participation points in the 2600 HSC, got my ass handed to me by the computer in one round of Archon (I was never good at that game) and made it past the halfway boss in Galencia on easy difficulty. That translates to level 28 out of 50. Still a long way to go...

• Like 5

Intellivision:

Grail of the Gods - 60 min.

New homebrew that over last week was incrementally improved with graphics, sounds, music etc. Based on a DarkBASIC program from 2010 that got ported to the Tandy MC-10, later on the TI-99/4A, now Intellivision and I saw there is a version under way for the Colecovision too, perhaps more formats as applicable.

• Like 5

Here are my times spent with classic games for this week (February 5th through 11th)...

Arcade:

Q*Bert's Qubes - 167 min. in 3 sessions

Atari 2600:

Ms. Pac-Man - 12 min.

This week I only played two different classic games. I continued to play the arcade original of Q*bert's Qubes after having finished the C-64 version last week. I did get over 300,000 points this time, but didn't manage to beat Level 8 where you must complete 3 Tic-Tac-Toes with "floating" qubes that don't stay in their correct position if you jump on them again. Apart from that, there was only a quick session of Ms. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 where I got to Level 8 (the 2nd banana round).

My real concern, however, is now the condition of my parents. My 87 year old mother fell to the ground on Tuesday night when she tried to turn out the light, and then fell out of bed on Wednesday afternoon. She's now in the hospital and will have surgery either tomorrow or on Wednesday. Her condition has got progressively worse over the last weeks, and my father now applies for a place in a nursing home for her. I spent over 5 hours over the last week on supporting them in one way or another. My father is 83 as well and also degrading somewhat, so it sometimes gets hard to talk to him.

• Like 5

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 153 minutes

Hunchy 2 - 45 minutes

RealSports Football - 16 minutes

Beamrider - 159 minutes

Skiing - 172 minutes

Kaboom! : 82,804

Hunchy 2 : I won!

Skiing : This game is very addictive. Giving it just ONE more try to improve by .02. I got 23.68 on Game 7 B/B about 6 times in my pursuit of 23.66.

• Like 5