IGNORED

Overpriced consoles...

ApolloBoy

I don't get it. I don't see why I should pay over $40 for an old video game system. Now don't get me wrong, I love classic games, but I don't want to become a serious collector like you guys are. I just wanna get the games I actually enjoy playing instead of enjoying staring at a rare game in a display case. And that's why I believe classic gaming should be affordable to everyone.

I don't get it. I don't see why I should pay over $40 for an old video game system. Now don't get me wrong, I love classic games, but I don't want to become a serious collector like you guys are. I just wanna get the games I actually enjoy playing instead of enjoying staring at a rare game in a display case. And that's why I believe classic gaming should be affordable to everyone.

Well I collect games and play. Like common loose games, I play those. And if it's a very rare game and I want to play, it I'd just get CPUWiz to make me a repro.

BTW, about high console costs... *COUGH* atari7800.com *COUGH* like $179 for an Atari 7800... thats a bit too much IMO.

Well I collect games and play. Like common loose games, I play those. And if it's a very rare game and I want to play, it I'd just get CPUWiz to make me a repro.

BTW, about high console costs... *COUGH* atari7800.com *COUGH* like $179 for an Atari 7800... thats a bit too much IMO.

Exactly. I believe a basic 7800 pack (console, 2 Pro-Lines, power supply, switchbox, Pole Position II) should be worth $20. Now $179, that's WAYYYY too much.

Paying $40 for an older system is a lot less than buying a *NEW* system like a PS2 or XBox. Which systems are you referring to? The only game system I paid more than $20 for was one 5200 and one 2600 because I bought them new when they first came out. Of other classic gaming systems, I paid $20 or less for XEGS, 800, TI994a, C64, Apple IIe, a couple of 5200s, a couple of 2600s, a couple of 7800s, countless NES systems, Odyssey2, and Intellivision. They are out there, You just have to look for them.

I don't think 40-50 is too much for a working "classic" system with a few games. I just can't see paying less for a "classic" system than i would for a modern game. Yeah Ebay may have made things a lil pricey but not that far outa whack.

Paying $40 for an older system is a lot less than buying a *NEW* system like a PS2 or XBox. Which systems are you referring to? The only game system I paid more than $20 for was one 5200 and one 2600 because I bought them new when they first came out. Of other classic gaming systems, I paid $20 or less for XEGS, 800, TI994a, C64, Apple IIe, a couple of 5200s, a couple of 2600s, a couple of 7800s, countless NES systems, Odyssey2, and Intellivision. They are out there, You just have to look for them.

I know it's less than getting a new console, but I don't want to pay over $40 for a video game system with a 1-Mhz processor and primitive graphics and sound. This means the 5200 and 7800, two of the consoles on my want list.

The highest I've paid for a console would be one of my 5200s..the one that cost $60 in the end. It was worth it and to date, I have 35 5200 games(half or so boxed) and a Wico stick. Worth the money? You bet!

I just can't relate to most modern consoles with the exception of PS2, Gamecube and Game Boy Advance(the last 2, I have yet to pick up).

I think the quality of games has gone down over the years. This has contributed to my lower expectations from modern consoles. If Sony couldn't do the Getaway right, then why the hell did it take them 2 years to develop the piece of shite?

My point is, if you can find a working classic console that comes with boxed games, rare accessories and working controllers...WHY NOT? Why not pick it up?

Think of it this way: You'd be saving it from the trash dump of no return!

My point is, if you can find a working classic console that comes with boxed games, rare accessories and working controllers...WHY NOT? Why not pick it up?

I WILL pick it up. Unless it's over $40. Then I won't get it.

The XEGS has most of the 5200s library and the games are identical to those on the 5200. There are only 1 or 2 games that are 5200 exclusive (I have to brush up on my 5200 FAQ :D ) and the XEGS uses standard 2600 controllers. You can save a great deal of cash that way as well.

I WILL pick it up. Unless it's over $40. Then I won't get it.

Ok..suppose the system came with a rare controller or game? Would you still pay over $40 for it?

I'm only asking.

I got my 7800 in a trade..thanks to one Bob DeCrescenzo on AtariAge.

Oh well. You'd be best off to snipe auctions at the last minute. Just find one that's hopefully under $30 and snipe it and just hope that you will win it. It took me weeks to get the 5200s that I have.

The XEGS has most of the 5200s library and the games are identical to those on the 5200.  There are only 1 or 2 games that are 5200 exclusive (I have to brush up on my 5200 FAQ :D ) and the XEGS uses standard 2600 controllers.  You can save a great deal of cash that way as well.

Is the XEGS more rare than the 5200? Because if it is, I'll get a 5200 instead.

Ok..suppose the system came with a rare controller or game? Would you still pay over $40 for it?

I'm only asking.

If it has a rare game or controller, then I will not get it. I only want to get the common games that are fun and controllers that actually serve a big purpose.

If it has a rare game or controller, then I will not get it. I only want to get the common games that are fun and controllers that actually serve a big purpose.

By getting those rare games and joysticks for a good price, you can use them to trade with members here for boatloads of those common games you want :D

How do you feel about the homebrew scene, then if you think most of the games out there are too expesive? Those labor of loves usually sell for a lot more than a Pac-Man cart, but they are not being sold for a profit and in many cases are among the best games available for the 2600 and 5200.

By getting those rare games and joysticks for a good price, you can use them to trade with members here for boatloads of those common games you want :D

How do you feel about the homebrew scene, then if you think most of the games out there are too expesive? Those labor of loves usually sell for a lot more than a Pac-Man cart, but they are not being sold for a profit and in many cases are among the best games available for the 2600 and 5200.

I like your idea about the rare games=common games sku, but I don't know if my parents can trust you guys because of all the stuff that's been going on about chat rooms and stuff like that. As for homebrews, I do think they should be a bit cheaper.

At my store YTradengames.com I have an Atari 7800 with 1 7800 controller pole position 2 and 5 atari 2600 common carts for $39.95. If your interested in it I take money orders or paypal.My web site is WWW.TRADENGAMES.COM My ebay name is in2details@aol.com with perfect feedback. Thanks Jason

Archived