IGNORED

9640 News BBS Online via Telnet

9640News

Well, let's hope AT&T's repair back at some station solves my internet issues.

So, with that being said, the 9640 News bbs is now available via Telnet at 9640news.ddns.net:9640.

I've got approximately 10,000 files available online, and have interfaced with the Usenet newsgroup comp.sys.ti as well as various retronet orphan groups including a new one for the TI-99/4A.

Fingers crossed no more issues with the line.

Beery

• Like 5

It's been working well since AT&T resolved their issues. While it was not required, I did upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Professional. I did this due to the automatic upgrades Windows Home required. Each time Windows 10 Home had to reboot on an upgrade, it was taking the software offline on the reboot. Because it was a forced reboot, it left a "bsy" (busy) file preventing a server reboot. Now, Windows 10 Professional, I can schedule my upgrades when I want, and when I am in the room with minimal unexpected down time.

Also, the software I am running, I learned they are about to "unlock" web server functionality. Not anything fancy, but it will allow simple web pages to be delivered.

Beery

• Like 1

I just sent a user a note that was trying to connect to 9640 News. This has been covered elsewhere I am sure in the past, but a rehash as it looks like more interest is picking up with these Telnet capable devices we can attach to our computer. Here is what I wrote for others if they are struggling:

OK, I assume you have a setup where you can Telnet into the BBS. Dialup through the old standard modem through telephone lines is not possible. [Note: if you are going through Greg's dialup BBS to then Telnet over to me, I assume Greg has all the connections worked out].

Depending upon your Terminal emulator will depend upon how you connect.

First, if you are using Telnet under a Windows PC, at the telnet prompt type: o 9640news.ddns.net 9640

That tells it to open the website 9640news.ddns.net on port 9640.

If you are using the WiFi232 modem on a TI/Geneve and have it setup working properly, you would type the following

ATDT9640news.ddns.net:9640

(Note the above colon in the dial string before the port).

​If however, you are using the Lantronix UDS10, it is not capable of using the URL of 9640news.ddns.net so you need to go to www.ip-lookup.net and go to the domain name tab and enter the domain name of 9640news.ddns.net. Right now, you will get back the IP address associated with 9640news.ddns.net as 99.119.246.201 . This should change very infrequently so if you ever find you are not getting a connection, look it up to see if the IP address has changed. This is where I wish the UDS10 was just a bit smarter.

So, with a terminal emulator connected to the Lantronix UDS10, you would then type the following string:

ATDT99.119.246.201,9640

In all three cases, you must specify the port of 9640 and all three routes depending upon your setup are different.

I'm also connecting my iPad to my website and in that case, I give it 9640news.ddns.net and in a separate line item in the setup configuration, I specify a port of 9640.

I hope this helps guide you. Let me know if you have question(s).

​Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller
  • Like 1

WORX ;-) :thumbsup: :lust:

With the F18A video modification, do the colors above for the ANSI graphic of Garfield come out orange? That graphic showed more detail than what I see with ANSI color on PORT as Garfield is not orange. I'm guessing this is a limit of the graphics mode being used for the 9938 for color ANSI displays.

• Like 1

PORT does not change the V9938 palette so the colors are defaulted to the MDOS settings. Pretty sure I didn't even have a PC back when I wrote PORT, so my only reference was the ANSI color code tables and a best-use approximation. If someone wants to create an adjusted palette, it would probably look better. On the F18A I did not change TIMXT's palette for standard ANSI but I did make changes to it for the C64 petscii emulation mode.

With the F18A video modification, do the colors above for the ANSI graphic of Garfield come out orange? That graphic showed more detail than what I see with ANSI color on PORT as Garfield is not orange. I'm guessing this is a limit of the graphics mode being used for the 9938 for color ANSI displays.

Here I was connected from my PC, with the tool "SecureCRT" (Windows). I know this issues from other BBSes and connections,

maybe just a problem of my settiings. I have to fiddle out....

Just some raw infos:

I am using ANSI Color with the font "Terminal" with the checked option "Use Unicode line drawing chars"

All appearance of colors and menus a.s.o. seems to bee OK and looks very good. Happy. thx

PS: One restriction of SecureCRT is that it only does Xmodem. It is the 2006er version, maybe I have to check for update ;)

PS v.2.0: Yes, I need an update

https://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/ssh_file_transfer.html

PORT does not change the V9938 palette so the colors are defaulted to the MDOS settings. Pretty sure I didn't even have a PC back when I wrote PORT, so my only reference was the ANSI color code tables and a best-use approximation. If someone wants to create an adjusted palette, it would probably look better. On the F18A I did not change TIMXT's palette for standard ANSI but I did make changes to it for the C64 petscii emulation mode.

Found this that may help on setting up the color palette.

Well, that paste did not work out well. This URL has the palette definitions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code

Edited by BeeryMiller

• 1 month later...

For any TI or Geneve users interested, I have ported over the Geneve message group from yahoo in its entirety to a message group on 9640News.ddns.net (Port 9640). I am right now in the process of importing approximately 85,000 messages from the TI group as well.

The TI group is going to take HOURS to process as I have three batches to process. As long as I do not hit a message base size or message number limit, the majority of all the messages should be posted. I did have to pull a few messages off as they were too heavily HTML coded to process. It wasn't many.

Later,

Beery

Ill be logging in tonight!!

Great. Somewhere around the first 20,000 messages from the TI group have been posted. Process is slow. Tomorrow morning, I will start the next batch of 32,000 messages. After that, there is another 21,000+ to post in the third file.

Beery

• Like 1

Hi, Beery.

Modern firewalls may be conspiring against you.

I've been trying to connect from a Windows Telnet client. Straight up Telnet <enter> o 9640.ddns.net 9640 <enter> ... no joy. I spent a bit of time configuring the local firewall, making sure the right ports (9640, as well as 23 just for good measure) were open outbound. No joy. And inbound. No joy. Tried disabling the firewall on all days ending in the letter "y". Still no joy.

At this point, I was about to run some copper into an old rotary dial phone I still have (yes, I do have one), and connect it to my physical manifestation of the avatar that is on the upper-most right of the TI Atariage forums (yes, I do have one) just to dial in at 300 baud and look around.

But I didn't have to. I installed Mocha Telnet (good value at $6) on my iPad. It's a a bog standard Telnet client. Switched the iPad WiFi off, Wireless on. Connect!! Clearly, something is blocking ports on the WiFi. It appears to be internet provider as different devices on the WiFi (Comcast) would not connect, while the Wireless (AT&T) did.

The world would be such a better place if we could trust one another. But alas not.

FWIW, this may be an obstacle to site access. I'll let you know the diagnosis.

Best regards,

R.

I did not observe any issues yesterday, but I am still having some intermittent outages from my ISP. Sometime when you know you are connected with your wireless setup, reconfirm your Windows Telnet client will not connect. Seems like Saturday we were getting some heavy snow/rain/slush and the ISP kept dropping connection. If it was that day you were testing, it may have been an issue on my end and not yours. I do not recall seeing the router drop the ISP Sunday or Monday.

I did open up a port for SSH at port 9938 for anyone desiring to access via a secure login route that way. If I am not mistaken, you will need a special app to connect in that manner. I'm hoping the change I made last night for SSH through the router port forwarding solved the issue someone was having. Thus far, I have nobody that has confirmed one way or the other. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am also one step closer for when a user selects to download a file, they will be offered the traditional file transfer protocols, but also FTP and HTTP options as well. I need to install files over the existing setup, but first I want to do some testing to make sure I understand everything better first.

Beery

I wish I could find complete archives of the TI-ECHO and comp.sys.ti .

I've not been able to find them yet.

​Beery

Google bought the rights on all old newsgroups.

And provides free access via their website.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.sys.ti

With some web programming this could be completly fetched and stored locally.

I use the Google feed to confirm messages I write were getting out and vice versa when I first set the interface up.

The web programming is probably too complicated for me at this point in time. If someone has the skillset and is interested in downloading comp.sys.ti, I would appreciate it. Basically, I would need a file format where individual messages can be treated as records.

I could then easily drop it into what the BBS world calls a JAM message base and would be willing to share with anyone else wanting to have the messages on their board. The nice thing about comp.sys.ti, is that I have a direct feed back to the usenet newsgroup so anything new shows up everyone.

Beery

• 1 month later...

If there are an F18A users out there with Telnet capability on a TI-99/4A, I would appreciate if someone could do a quick test with TIMXT (I think that is the name, the TI-99/4A color ansi emulator).

I'm starting to add some some door games to my BBS ( 9640news.ddns.net, port 9640).

There is a game called "Double Up" (option #7) on my board in the Doors Option. It uses ANSI graphics, moving blocks 4 directions within a grid. If you move blocks in the same direction, and they are numbered up the same, the two blocks turn into one block with twice the number. I've been able to get blocks up to from 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, and to 1024. Not easy, and it takes time. For awhile, I had the record high score, but then someone got the 2048 block and at that point, had just about doubled my score.

Anyways, with PORT in using the Geneve in color graphics mode, movement is just way too slow to make the game enjoyable. I'm curious if with the F18A on a TI-99/4A, if the speed is acceptable.

When I play it "local", or with an iOS ansi Telnet app, it is fine. Any feedback is appreciated.

On another note, that the "Double Up" game is written in a pascal like language compatible with the coding for my BBS. Thus, the source code is viewable, and could be a good resource if someone wanted to duplicate the game as all the logic you need is there. Just rewrite in the language you feel comfortable using. Heck, if someone wanted, it could easily be a TIPI game launched from a remote server with the remote server keeping high score for everyone.

Beery

• Like 1

TIMXT and the tipi telnet program both make use of the F18A color 80 column mode. If the game requires keyboard translation for the arrow keys, the last release of timxt doesn't have that option. Someone with a tipi should be able to test easily enough.

PORT's color mode speed is hindered by the v9938. Too bad the developers of the chip didn't think to emulate a 16 color text mode. Drawing characters in graphics mode takes way too long. I often use monochrome mode for its speed unless I really want to see something in color.

• Like 1

I was just thinking. I wonder if we knew someone <grin> who could create a copy of the 9938 chip, and add a text mode with color feature to it to be used within MAME.

This would be implemented with a new switch to use the 9938 or 9938+ ?

Beery

• Like 2