IGNORED

SCART-GENIE V1.0

Shift838

Although I have proved the SCART-Genie to work on a couple of other Geneve computers I am waiting for a new shipment of tooled PCB's from a different manufacturer. I want to make sure they turn out right before I put up the pre-order.

If so then it will save a bit of money on each PCB. They will not be purple and I decided to make the boards rectangle with evenly spaced holes as to make it easier to make a case for them.

I am due to go out of town on Sunday. I'm hoping they will ship and I will have them in hand by Saturday, but doubtful. If not I will not be able to test until I get back the following weekend.

I got the boards in from this last test run with a different vendor.

Only one small issue. When I generated the gerber file I did notmake sure the mounting holes from the SCART connector were set to dimension so they would be cut out. They actually just showed up as silkscreens.

Not really a big deal. I did make sure there was no traces on either side before I ordered just in case I had to whittle down a bit.

I may just leave it like this and just predrill them. I did have a couple of SCART connectors that even though they were the same manufacture the clips were off a bit anyway. Check the pics out..

I have tested and fully functional.. They are not purple but they work.

post-35187-0-40069800-1525469587_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put together a SCART-Genie AVPC today. I have not tested yet besides all continuity test on the board pass, now that I jumped 2 traces, dislexia must hit me during that design. I reversed 2 pins the RCA audio input (there were only 2, i mapped the tip from the RCA to the ground and then the sleeve (ground) to the audio trim pot. That won't work! So i cut two traces and jumpered them to the correct points.

If all goes well I plan on testing over the next few days. I'm optimistic, but I will need to order a new run of boards when I get it tested with the corrections. That's why we do Prototypes..

post-35187-0-50677000-1527041931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 3

I have an EVPC version one I will need to put together this weekend. Post pics when I get it together, unless I get motivation to do it next day or so.

I already posted my need for one SNUG EVPC, and Friday is my birthday, so I'm motivated.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I finally pulled out the SNUG system to test the AVPC SCART-Genie. Well i wired a couple of things wrong.

Corrected and decided instead of an RCA jack for audio input I would use another 3.5mm. On the final board it will line up with the audio output nicely.

post-35187-0-36184300-1528433267_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have tested on my AOC FreeSYNC 144mhz. Model G2460PF and it works fairly well, I do have to change my aspect ratio though so it does not stretch the desktop. I also tried it with a LG HDMI TV and it looked pretty good as well.

How about SCART to VGA converter? Which one? Where to purchase? Where to purchase SCART to HDMI?

I have not tested with a SCART to VGA converter.

I am getting ready to build my first test board for the GBSVGA Genie. It's in the development thread. HERE

Just got the first test run of boards in today.

as far as the SCART to HDMI upscaler. I have tested with a Elephas SCART to HDMI that I purchased on Ebay. I also tested with this one from Amazon and had pretty good luck with it (HERE). there are quite a few on amazon and ebay that are not Elephas but seem to have the same circuitry. Please note. Depending on quality of monitor being used and the SCARTto HDMI converter quality, results may vary. You need a SCART to HDMI upscaler that supports the 15kHz range.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...