IGNORED

Has the 7800 ever had overheating problems?

Stein

I was playing One on One the other nite, probly had the cart in and powered up for two hours or more (one hour at least on pause). When I was done I removed the cart and it was quite warm, not hot, but defintely warm. I don't remember my old a2600 (years and years ago) ever getting even slightly warm.

The 7800 will not make anymore heat than the 2600. The only component that produces any real heat is the voltage regulator. On the 7800 the regulator is closer to the cartridge port, this is why your cartridge was warm.

I suggest you don't play the machine for longer than 60 minutes at a time, and in between sessions, give the machine 15 minutes rest to cool down. Cheers!

I'm the lucky one then I guess. I have one of the original 84 model 7800s. Mine has always gotten a cart pretty warm after some extended playing. And yes the voltage regulator is only about an inch or so from the cart slot so that is the reason for the heat.

However, giving the machine a rest was something I have never done. Many times in my older Atari playing years, I would put this machine on pause and just let it set...for like half a day or more!

Once I was doing really well on Tomcat but had to go out of town for the weekend. Needless to say, I left the 7800 on with that game plugged in on pause for at least 2 days...I came back and scored my Top Gun ace score.

However, while that 7800 appears to have never had a problem with this...since it still works just fine today, the Tomcat cart did die on my about 3 days later. First Atari cart to ever die on me until many years later I picked up a dead Scrapyard dog cart...which is still...well..dead.

:)

I was playing One on One the other nite, probly had the cart in and powered up for two hours or more (one hour at least on pause). When I was done I removed the cart and it was quite warm, not hot, but defintely warm.  I don't remember my old a2600 (years and years ago) ever getting even slightly warm.

There is a design problem with the MARIA graphics processor and it tends to lockup after a few hours of continuous use.

Curt

I've played a few games for around 6 hours non stop. It gets very hot, but I've never had it die on me. Of course, they were 2600 games (would it matter if your playing 7800? I've heard they use different componants on the 7800) Though unless you're playing to break a previous record (or your bored, whatever) I'd suggest letting it rest once every hour or two.

Most people swap out games enough that they don't really have to worry about overheating.

Archived