IGNORED

Super Retro Trio Plus...A decent option to play Sega Genesis Games and more

swlovinist

If it's as good as the original SRT, but with HDMI, this thing is a winner.

There are reports that some NES games do not work(Double Dragon III). Everdrives work wtih the Genesis and SNES, but the NES one I do believe has some issues. It does work with and original CRT as it has AV cable hookups in the back.

Stretched video on 16:9 displays is an absolute no-go. Stupid frikken Retro-Bit. My TCL 55P605 (and many folks' HDMI-equipped TVs for that matter) don't give options to force the aspect ratio. I appreciate that you captured video directly that showed it and mentioned it up front. You're the first YouTuber to mention it. I felt like Riggs' video did people a disservice by hiding that fact since he showed the TV playing the games, but had the TV at a 45-degree angle. Very shady. You were up-front about it and included both video and audio to show what the system is capable of.

It's a shame that I had to watch like six reviews to get that information, but such is the state of retro YouTube these days.

I still don't get who these are for. :? They're just going to keep releasing new ones every year for you to re-buy. If you want to use carts, stick with the original hardware. (or just wait for a legit FPGA like the Super NT) Otherwise, just load up something like a Pi 3. You'll have control over aspect ratio, save states, CRT shaders etc..

My TCL 55P605

!?! You've got THAT TV and you're concerned about clone consoles?! Dude, that TV :love: the OSSC and all its Line X modes. To have that set and bother with retrobit products is beyond crazy. Plug up a genesis to the OSSC with RGB scart, plug that bad boy into your 605, set it to Line5X, adjust horizontal alignment a bit and mask to cover overscan and you're all set. I've even got my Dreamcast plugged up through that combo with VGA set to 960 (480Px2) looks amazing.

They're in stock now: https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

Having that TV without an OSSC hooked up to it should be a crime. :lol:

Edited by keepdreamin

Oh! I didn't realize they were in stock! Last I'd looked they weren't available. Ordering now. :D

I just got the TV at the end of December on a nice sale at Best Buy and I've rediscovered my PS4 Pro. MLB The Show in 4K is beautiful. OSSC wasn't in stock at the time, but now it's mine all mine!

Edit: now that it's ordered, I guess I need to get everything else. I'm digging around google and here's what I've found:

RGB SCART cables from Retro Access

Hama SCART switch from Amazon

Hama SCART cable from Amazon

That should be all I need, right? Maybe RCA to 1/8" TRS for audio out of the switch to the OSSC, but I have that. I also have a VGA box with cables for my Dreamcast. And that's all I really want to hook up to the living room TV, since I have an SNES classic with a bunch of SNES and NES ROMs on it already and no desire for any other systems.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Nah, OSSC has component input. No need to go SCART with the PS2.

Saturn works really well with that TV/OSSC combo. When certain games do that resolution switch, like virtua fighter 2 from character select to gameplay, there's a split second pause as the ossc changes processing modes. Some TV's will do the HDMI handshake again, and make that pause longer. The TCL takes it in stride with no need for another handshake. I leave 480i on the ossc set to pass thru and let the TV do the deinterlacing.

You'll just need the appropriate scart cables for your Genesis and Saturn (preferably the CSYNC ones. Make sure you get the NTSC specified cables as well)

Amazon actually has a really nice male-male SCART cable for running from a switchbox to the OSSC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DYELZXE/

One of the better affordable switchboxes

Is the bandridge manual (what I use). My life in gaming tested it out and found no obvious signal degradation. The only thing to be wary of is if you plan on using port 5. There's some sort of VCR function there that can actually power on a system hooked up to that port. You'll want to open it up and clip out a diode if you plan on using #5. No big deal.

www.ebay.com/itm/Bandridge-SVB7725-5-Wege-Manual-Scart-Umschaltbox-5-Way-Manuall-SCART-Switch/162305799199

Oh, that's right. I did see the YPbPr jacks, just forgot about it. Derp.

I had looked at the Bandridge and this review kind of put me off of it. Between potential for cross-talk and some weird incompatibility with a C-sync SNES SCART cable I just kind of disregarded it. The Hama AV-100S has three inputs and that's going to be plenty, plus all the reviews had been universally great. I ended up buying the Hama on Amazon for $30, and that SCART cable you linked too. It's gonna take a couple weeks for the switch to get here (shipping from the UK), but that's true of the OSSC as well. I'm really excited. I got a 20" CRT TV back in July but I have always wanted my retro stuff to be in the living room.

When I first got the 55P605 home, I hooked up the Genesis via composite and while it felt lag-free, it wasn't really pretty. I looked online at OSSC but it wasn't in stock at the time, and then I forgot to check back. Glad I could pick one up today.

Edited by derFunkenstein

news to me on the CSYNC issues. Most of my console are running through the bandridge with CSYNC without issue, including a RGB restored SNES Jr.

Biggest downside with the OSSC is no on screen menu, got to get up close to the unit to get through the settings on the little menu. Not hard or anything. It shouldn't take that long to arrive, actually. I remember mine showed up pretty quick once it shipped.

TV is set to game mode, with local contrast "High".

Get your Genesis setup the way you want and save to one of the settings slots (0-9)

My Model 1 Genesis settings (only things changed from default) with the 55P605 are:

240P Processing: Line5X

Horizontal Mask: 2 pixels

V. Backporch: 15

H. Backporch: 251

Saturn:

All default except Line5X for 240P, 480i set to passthru

Dreamcast: 480P at Line2X (960)

If you notice some flicker like I did, set date and time screen easy to see this if it's there. Set H-PLL Post-Coast to 1 line

post-45470-0-72616300-1517958964_thumb.jpg

post-45470-0-61369900-1517959023_thumb.jpg

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Well, if the OSSC arrives first I'll still hopefully get the SCART cables quickly and can just plug/unplug. Once retro-access re-opens its sales tomorrow morning I'll be ordering Genesis and Saturn cables. I'm guessing there's no reason to pay extra for the shielded versions, right?

BTW thanks for the advice on setup. I'm like a kid at Christmas just waiting for it to arrive and reading everything I can get my hands on. LOL

Edited by derFunkenstein

Just go with the regular NTSC CSYNC cables (I'm assuming your systems are regular USA variants). I bought my SCART cables from them before they were even offering that coax upgrade.

https://retro-access.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-genesis-2-32x-cdx-rgb-scart-cable-composite-video-sync-version?variant=47709017363

https://retro-access.com/collections/sega-saturn/products/sega-saturn-stereo-csync-rgb-scart-cable-for-ntsc-model-1-saturn-lead-cord

Edited by keepdreamin

This console is tempting but I'm afraid the little inaccuracies would slowly drive me crazy. I heard some audio comparisons with some Sega games and I think that's a deal breaker. Does it smell like a cheap shower curtain? honestly, I can't stand super cheap electronics that do.

Maybe I jump in on the next revision. Looks cool though. Ha ha

I gotta be honest with you... it'd be nice to have a one-stop shopping option for my older games, especially since some of them don't look so great on a modern TV set. I could mod a Genesis for S-video, but that's risky, and I may wind up spending a lot of money that could be better invested elsewhere. HDMI is more common in modern sets and isn't as difficult to connect.

I gotta be honest with you... it'd be nice to have a one-stop shopping option for my older games, especially since some of them don't look so great on a modern TV set. I could mod a Genesis for S-video, but that's risky, and I may wind up spending a lot of money that could be better invested elsewhere.

Mod for S-Video, why would you do that? The Genesis 1 - 3 output RGB stock out the video port. Grab HD Retrovision's component cables if your TV still has component inputs, or plug the RGB direct into something like an OSSC.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

Mod for S-Video, why would you do that? The Genesis 1 - 3 output RGB stock out the video port. Grab HD Retrovision's component cables if your TV still has component inputs, or plug the RGB direct into something like an OSSC.

oh my goodness. The OSSC came today and so did the Hama switch I bought. The Genesis RGB cable came from Retro-Accsess on Saturday, so today at lunch time I put it all together. It's *beautiful*. I can't wait for my Saturn SCART cable to come to try that out next. I just can't believe how clear and crisp everything is.

oh my goodness. The OSSC came today and so did the Hama switch I bought. The Genesis RGB cable came from Retro-Accsess on Saturday, so today at lunch time I put it all together. It's *beautiful*. I can't wait for my Saturn SCART cable to come to try that out next. I just can't believe how clear and crisp everything is.

Haha, it's crazy how you're getting those results from original hardware and proper video processing, right?

What line X mode do you have it in. Hopefully 3X or above. WAAAAY sharper than the default 2x (480P)

• Like 1

Yeah, the Genesis has amazing RGB. It's pretty mind blowing when you see it for the first time.

The 32-bit era stuff looks great as well but there are things working against them, especially the Saturn with its ton of mesh transparency effects. Still curious to hear what you think once you test it.

Haha, it's crazy how you're getting those results from original hardware and proper video processing, right?

What line X mode do you have it in. Hopefully 3X or above. WAAAAY sharper than the default 2x (480P)

I'm switching between 5x and 4x. Sir the Genesis I'm rarely losing anything but the solid color layer at 5x, but on the Saturn it's more noticeable.

So far I've really only played 2D games on the Saturn but I'm looking forward to Shining Force 3 and Fighters Megamix. I'm sure I'll see the mesh effects but it's ok. Still gorgeous. Played a ton of Street Fighter tonight lol

Edited by derFunkenstein

I'm switching between 5x and 4x. Sir the Genesis I'm rarely losing anything but the solid color layer at 5x, but on the Saturn it's more noticeable.

Make sure picture size on the 55p605 is set to "direct". If it's in "auto" or "normal", it might be cropping off more of the image.

You will loose some lines at 5X, but I've never had that be an issue with any Saturn game.

Edited by keepdreamin

Yeah, the Genesis has amazing RGB. It's pretty mind blowing when you see it for the first time.

The 32-bit era stuff looks great as well but there are things working against them, especially the Saturn with its ton of mesh transparency effects. Still curious to hear what you think once you test it.

You'll notice the Saturn mesh on a consumer grade CRT with component video, or PVM with RGB. No real way around it unless you want the rest of the video to look blurry with RF or something. Just one of the system quirks.

If you try some Saturn 480i stuff (Virtua Fighter 2, Megamix, Last Bronx etc.. ). You may want to set the TV size to "normal" , especially if you set the OSSC 480i to passthru (my preference to the OSSC Bob deinterlacing). The image will be a little small in "direct", "normal" will make it a bit bigger.

Also, when a Saturn game switches resolution. Example, VF2 character select (240P) to gameplay (480i). You'll see the LED on the OSSC flash for a split second. Totally normal, it's switching processing modes and the picture will drop for about a second.

Edited by keepdreamin